Dinner, Monday December 1st

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just buttoned up my slow cooker. I can't wait to get back into the house this afternoon..... the smells will be going good by then :)

That sounds good....but I'd have to add mushrooms to that. :) I think I'll go check the freezer for a chuck and have that for tomorrow.

Today I'm thinking eggs benedict for (sp?) dinner. Dh will probably want pancakes and sausage. Ds is working.

Barb

Pacanis, I looked for the chicken packets while I was at work and couldn't find them.. they sounded really good.
(probably too busy answering questions with questions to the person below me....:angel:)

I'm making chicken nuggets and fries for the kids, I'll find something later if I feel the need.
I'll make DH a quesadilla or 2 when he gets up.

Made stock from the turkey so made soup:

turkey
cauliflower
broccoli
brussels sprouts
corn
tomatoes
egg noodles the size and shape of acini di pepi
onions
celery
sage
rosemary
thyme
flat-leaf parsley
oregano

that's about it...then it's TURKEY ALL GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
36_1_33.gif

Pacanis, I looked for the chicken packets while I was at work and couldn't find them.. they sounded really good.
(probably too busy answering questions with questions to the person below me....:angel:)

I'm making chicken nuggets and fries for the kids, I'll find something later if I feel the need.
I'll make DH a quesadilla or 2 when he gets up.

Here's the recipe I like, Suzi http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f38/foiled-chicken-with-stuffing-recipe-42200.html Of course I added a pic of my attempt on page 2 :) I've made this a few times and it freezes well, too.

Wow, Kitchen elf... that's a LOT of ingredients. It sounds great!

we had the ground beef/mushroom soup goulash with egg noodles and a tossed salad, plus a healthy dose of leftover cranberry orange relish for our head-colds. (((comfort food)))

we had the ground beef/mushroom soup goulash with egg noodles and a tossed salad, plus a healthy dose of leftover cranberry orange relish for our head-colds. (((comfort food)))

OK. I'm in :)
If that's half as good as your Jalapeno soup and it sounds.....

Can you elaborate on how you make it?

:)

Gotta love a dinner that cooks itself :)

Attachments

• slow cooker roast2.jpg
    slow cooker roast2.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 169
eh, you'll be disappointed. Think "GLOP" like in another thread here.

Brown appx 1 lb ground beef in a skillet.
In the same pan, and at the same time, saute garlic and chopped onion (to suit your taste), I use about 3 cloves of garlic and half of a smallish onion - about 1/2 c. to 1 cup of chopped onion
Drain excess drippings if necessary and discard them from the pan.
Add 1 can cream of mushroom soup and 1 can of milk (or water if you don't have milk) and blend the sauce well. Bring it to a boil and immediately reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes. At this point you can add a can of sliced mushrooms, or a 1/2 c. chopped fresh mushrooms to cook in the sauce. You can also add a few dashes of worcestershire sauce for flavor. Salt and pepper to taste.

While the sauce skillet is simmering, bring 3-4 qts. of water to a boil and cook your prepackaged egg noodles (or any pasta or rice you prefer) - I cook at least a 12 oz package of pasta. When your pasta/rice is done, the sauce should be ready as well. It should have reduced down slightly but not boiled off.

Serve the meaty sauce over the rice or noodles, garnishing with some chopped parsley or some kind of mild shredded cheese such as provelone. Or, just shovel 'er onto the plate and dig in! It will feed about 4 people if 2 of them are kids. If you're feeding a really hungry man, it might feed 3 people. Increase quantity as necessary to fit your crowd.

Its one of those "starting out poor and broke" recipes that is a good jumping-off point to use up leftover whatever you've got in the fridge, as in throwing in the leftover peas or corn, or use a different soup if you don't have cream of mush. I've made it with milk and with water - doesn't hurt the flavor to use water if you're outta milk. You'll notice there isn't a tomato product in it - my DH isn't a big tomato eater but I think a can of chopped tomatoes would be ok in this too.

That's our goulash!

Last edited:
Thanks, Scooba. I'm always looking for good burger concoctions. I don't think I've ever tried simply adding cream of shroom soup to it.
Here's one for you, next time you are browning your burger mixture, throw in some finely diced potatoes. Less than 1/4" cubes. I think it adds a very nice texture to a burger dish like this. Over noodles might not work well, but over rice it's great.

a big plate of thanksgiving stuff from my granddaughters, thanksgiving dinner yesterday. oh and i will nibble later on a beautiful big taco that my handyman brought me this afternoon.

Cod crusted with Italian bread crumbs / parmesan / garlic and S&P... this sucked. I think the cod was not processed correctly or I cooked it wrong. Whole grain rice and butter beans.... along with a few slices of the NYT bread.

I split it over four breasts. I like dressing and gravy. When you can start smelling the stuffing cooking, stick a thermometer into it, you can tell when you hit the meat.

i made chicken fricasse in the crock pot last night. it came out just ok. :neutral:

i was lazy and didn't go outside to get fresh thyme from my herb garden, so i used dried thyme. it was way too powerful, even using less than the recipe called for. i tried to balance it out by adding some fresh sage and parsley (i finally went outside), but then it was just too herby overall. it smelled and tasted like i used way too much poultry seasoning.

oh well, to paraphrase forrest gump, lazy is as lazy does.

Back
Top Bottom