"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-01-2008, 03:12 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I just buttoned up my slow cooker. I can't wait to get back into the house this afternoon..... the smells will be going good by then
That sounds good....but I'd have to add mushrooms to that. I think I'll go check the freezer for a chuck and have that for tomorrow.

Today I'm thinking eggs benedict for (sp?) dinner. Dh will probably want pancakes and sausage. Ds is working.

Barb

Old 12-01-2008, 03:27 PM   #22
Executive Chef

We had boerewors, savoury rice and the erst of the leeks in cheese sauce.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:32 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Pacanis, I looked for the chicken packets while I was at work and couldn't find them.. they sounded really good.
(probably too busy answering questions with questions to the person below me....)

I'm making chicken nuggets and fries for the kids, I'll find something later if I feel the need.
I'll make DH a quesadilla or 2 when he gets up.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Made stock from the turkey so made soup:

turkey
cauliflower
broccoli
brussels sprouts
corn
tomatoes
egg noodles the size and shape of acini di pepi
onions
celery
sage
rosemary
thyme
flat-leaf parsley
oregano

that's about it...then it's TURKEY ALL GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:49 PM   #25
Sous Chef

It looks like it's going to be shrimp scampi with linguine, a salad, and some garlic bread...
Old 12-01-2008, 06:56 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
Pacanis, I looked for the chicken packets while I was at work and couldn't find them.. they sounded really good.
(probably too busy answering questions with questions to the person below me....)

I'm making chicken nuggets and fries for the kids, I'll find something later if I feel the need.
I'll make DH a quesadilla or 2 when he gets up.
Here's the recipe I like, Suzi Foiled Chicken With Stuffing Recipe Of course I added a pic of my attempt on page 2 I've made this a few times and it freezes well, too.

Wow, Kitchen elf... that's a LOT of ingredients. It sounds great!
Old 12-01-2008, 06:58 PM   #27
Senior Cook

we had the ground beef/mushroom soup goulash with egg noodles and a tossed salad, plus a healthy dose of leftover cranberry orange relish for our head-colds. (((comfort food)))
Old 12-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobagirl View Post
we had the ground beef/mushroom soup goulash with egg noodles and a tossed salad, plus a healthy dose of leftover cranberry orange relish for our head-colds. (((comfort food)))
OK. I'm in
If that's half as good as your Jalapeno soup and it sounds.....

Can you elaborate on how you make it?

Old 12-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Gotta love a dinner that cooks itself
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slow cooker roast2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	6184  
Old 12-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #30
Senior Cook

eh, you'll be disappointed. Think "GLOP" like in another thread here.

Brown appx 1 lb ground beef in a skillet.
In the same pan, and at the same time, saute garlic and chopped onion (to suit your taste), I use about 3 cloves of garlic and half of a smallish onion - about 1/2 c. to 1 cup of chopped onion
Drain excess drippings if necessary and discard them from the pan.
Add 1 can cream of mushroom soup and 1 can of milk (or water if you don't have milk) and blend the sauce well. Bring it to a boil and immediately reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes. At this point you can add a can of sliced mushrooms, or a 1/2 c. chopped fresh mushrooms to cook in the sauce. You can also add a few dashes of worcestershire sauce for flavor. Salt and pepper to taste.

While the sauce skillet is simmering, bring 3-4 qts. of water to a boil and cook your prepackaged egg noodles (or any pasta or rice you prefer) - I cook at least a 12 oz package of pasta. When your pasta/rice is done, the sauce should be ready as well. It should have reduced down slightly but not boiled off.

Serve the meaty sauce over the rice or noodles, garnishing with some chopped parsley or some kind of mild shredded cheese such as provelone. Or, just shovel 'er onto the plate and dig in! It will feed about 4 people if 2 of them are kids. If you're feeding a really hungry man, it might feed 3 people. Increase quantity as necessary to fit your crowd.

Its one of those "starting out poor and broke" recipes that is a good jumping-off point to use up leftover whatever you've got in the fridge, as in throwing in the leftover peas or corn, or use a different soup if you don't have cream of mush. I've made it with milk and with water - doesn't hurt the flavor to use water if you're outta milk. You'll notice there isn't a tomato product in it - my DH isn't a big tomato eater but I think a can of chopped tomatoes would be ok in this too.

That's our goulash!