Dinner - Monday March 5th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quadlex

Cook
Tonight I got home at 7:30 and my sister was in a bad mood (As per usual) and clattering around the kitchen.

By the time it was safe out there, it was 8:30 so I made a quick dinner by boiling 2 serves of Farfale, adding a drained tin of canned peas and corn just before it was al dente. As it was draining I chopped up a chorizo and nuked it for 45 seconds on high. I poured the drained pasta back into the saucepan and poured over 1/8th of a (metric) cup of lemon juice, and a 1/4 cup of lite sour cream I had left over from dinner a few nights ago.

Stirred it all together, dished out a third and put some chopped spring onion on top.

It was pretty good, but next time I might try putting a little lime juice in as well, and using frozen vegetables instead of tinned... The peas weren't very appealing at all.

Cheap, quick, economical (used up old food)... I think I did alright ^_^ (Only used 1 saucepan, 1 measuring cup, one knife, one fork and one bowl, too)

I am afraid I am cheating tonight, the fridge is pretty empty and I have bought some filled pasta for us which we'll have in bianco or maybe with a little pesto, I need to do a shop for fresh stuff, but we are winding the cupboards down so I'm trying to be careful.

The sirloin roast last night was excellent. Twas also the first time for this 55 year old to ever cook a beef roast:blush: , other than pot roasts. Had to do a bit of tomfoolery for the DH, he likes beef well done and I like it med rare, so I cut his meltingly tender meat into bite size pieces and turned down the lights. He is not one to pay much attention to his food while eating, so precutting his meat meant he would barely look at it. The temp out of the oven was 145*F and there was no way I was going to get it to look well done.

So, will have various leftovers with this lovely meat. Yesterday I baked a bunch of white and sweet potatoes, as well as oven roasted chunks of potatoes. Any suggestions of what to do with this meat? I am thawing some ricotta cheese to make a concoction of horseradish and cheese. Gosh, this is my last jar of horseradish:( , will have to think of making more:w00t2: . Boy is that an experience:wacko: ...

bethzaring said:
The sirloin roast last night was excellent. Twas also the first time for this 55 year old to ever cook a beef roast:blush: , other than pot roasts. Had to do a bit of tomfoolery for the DH, he likes beef well done and I like it med rare, so I cut his meltingly tender meat into bite size pieces and turned down the lights. He is not one to pay much attention to his food while eating, so precutting his meat meant he would barely look at it. The temp out of the oven was 145*F and there was no way I was going to get it to look well done.

So, will have various leftovers with this lovely meat. Yesterday I baked a bunch of white and sweet potatoes, as well as oven roasted chunks of potatoes. Any suggestions of what to do with this meat? I am thawing some ricotta cheese to make a concoction of horseradish and cheese. Gosh, this is my last jar of horseradish:( , will have to think of making more:w00t2: . Boy is that an experience:wacko: ...
Beth,
my Dh loves me to cube up left over roast, add some diced potatoes, and then make a gravy to mix over it..I first just saute some onions and garlic , add the potatoes, let them cook a bit, add the meat and gravy heat through and serve. He also likes this put into a pie shell and topped with more crust like a pot pie..Will eat it several days in a row with another veggie and salad..
kadesma:)

Think I'm gonna try to make Tequila Lime Chicken tonite. Got the chicken in the fridge thawing now.

Tonight we are having shredded pork tacos with avocado sauce, lettuce diced tomatoes,diced red onions,rice and maybe refried or drunken beans..dessert is left over pumpkin pie...

kadesma said:
Beth,
my Dh loves me to cube up left over roast, add some diced potatoes, and then make a gravy to mix over it..I first just saute some onions and garlic , add the potatoes, let them cook a bit, add the meat and gravy heat through and serve. He also likes this put into a pie shell and topped with more crust like a pot pie..Will eat it several days in a row with another veggie and salad..

Very insightful Kades, right up my alley! Thanks

mraa said:
Think I'm gonna try to make Tequila Lime Chicken tonite. Got the chicken in the fridge thawing now.

:LOL: Thats what I fixed last night....minus the Margaritas though. NOTE: Should say I was going to make margaritas but decided against it :)

Tonight I'm making Creamy Garlicly Mussels and serve it over angel hair pasta and top with parm -reg cheese and fresh parsley. I have to make a run back over to IL to pick up DH so I'm going to run to the bakery and grab a fresh loaf a bread to sop up all the sauce. I was going to make a loaf in the bread machine but changed my mind. Along with it I'm making a warm vinegrette and serve it over a mesculan salad.

Last edited:
Leg of lamb with roasted onions and potatoes. Olives and feta on the side.

pdswife said:
Leg of lamb with roasted onions and potatoes. Olives and feta on the side.
Well now it's my turn...I'm coming to your house for dinner:)

kadesma

Stuffed shells. I'm mixing in spinach souffle, ricotta, egg, & parmesan cheese; and trying out Barilla's sun-dried tomato & olive tomato sauce. Side - pasta - olive oil, garlic and basil. Salad & garlic bread. Fruit salad for dessert.

WOOT! todays `Burned Apron` Award goes to ME :-p

remember that Basmatiti Rice I posted about above??? (I say that in the Past-Tense for good reason), it`s now TOAST!:ermm::glare:

and I`m Not sure but I may have ruined a good pan acheiving this also *sigh*, it`s Kinda hard to tell with all the Black on the Outside as well as the Inside:(

and so, we`re Having Pasta with the Sausage Creole instead, I`m not doing the same thing Twice in one day! my Nerve couldn`t handle it (yes Nerve, Singular).

and now for my Next Trick.....

Going to have smoked pork chops,( first time buying them ). Mashed potatoes and coleslaw. For dessert, Uncle Bens Rice Pudding with Cinnamon and Raisins.

We're doing steak. If its warm enough, outside on the BBQ, if not, under the broiler. I'll also do a pile o'potatoes, and a nice big salad. Then for dessert some of the cookies that are still warm or some banana bread that is on the list for a little later.

YT2095 said:
WOOT! todays `Burned Apron` Award goes to ME :-p

remember that Basmatiti Rice I posted about above??? (I say that in the Past-Tense for good reason), it`s now TOAST!:ermm::glare:

and I`m Not sure but I may have ruined a good pan acheiving this also *sigh*, it`s Kinda hard to tell with all the Black on the Outside as well as the Inside:(

and so, we`re Having Pasta with the Sausage Creole instead, I`m not doing the same thing Twice in one day! my Nerve couldn`t handle it (yes Nerve, Singular).

and now for my Next Trick.....

Yipes! :ohmy: That sounds like my disaster last night of ziti all over the deck :mad:

I am attempting a new crockpot recipes of slow cooked bok choy; so stir fry; and sort of omlet with scallions;

kadesma said:
Well now it's my turn...I'm coming to your house for dinner:)

kadesma

oh good!!! Are you bringing all the babies too! Please say YES!!!!!:)

"Naughty Corner?" Is that like "sitting in the corner" (when I was a kid), or "time out" (the modern version?), I obviously need to talk to some of my British friends!!!

Back
Top Bottom