"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-05-2007, 08:36 AM   #1
Cook
 
Quadlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 73
Dinner - Monday March 5th

Tonight I got home at 7:30 and my sister was in a bad mood (As per usual) and clattering around the kitchen.

By the time it was safe out there, it was 8:30 so I made a quick dinner by boiling 2 serves of Farfale, adding a drained tin of canned peas and corn just before it was al dente. As it was draining I chopped up a chorizo and nuked it for 45 seconds on high. I poured the drained pasta back into the saucepan and poured over 1/8th of a (metric) cup of lemon juice, and a 1/4 cup of lite sour cream I had left over from dinner a few nights ago.

Stirred it all together, dished out a third and put some chopped spring onion on top.

It was pretty good, but next time I might try putting a little lime juice in as well, and using frozen vegetables instead of tinned... The peas weren't very appealing at all.

Cheap, quick, economical (used up old food)... I think I did alright ^_^ (Only used 1 saucepan, 1 measuring cup, one knife, one fork and one bowl, too)

__________________

__________________
"The Lesson here children, is that dreams inevitably lead to Hideous Implosions."
Quadlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:37 AM   #2
Head Chef
 
lulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: England
Posts: 2,039
I am afraid I am cheating tonight, the fridge is pretty empty and I have bought some filled pasta for us which we'll have in bianco or maybe with a little pesto, I need to do a shop for fresh stuff, but we are winding the cupboards down so I'm trying to be careful.
__________________

__________________
In omnibus amor et iustum
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:42 AM   #3
Executive Chef
 
YT2095's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Just left of Europe and down a bit.
Posts: 3,875
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I`m doing a sausage Creole with basmati rice tonight :)
__________________
So long and Thanks for all the Fish ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:56 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
middie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Cleveland,Ohio USA
Posts: 16,264
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Pork chops, garlic mashed potatos, green beans, and a side salad I think would be good too.
__________________
middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
Executive Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 4,602
The sirloin roast last night was excellent. Twas also the first time for this 55 year old to ever cook a beef roast , other than pot roasts. Had to do a bit of tomfoolery for the DH, he likes beef well done and I like it med rare, so I cut his meltingly tender meat into bite size pieces and turned down the lights. He is not one to pay much attention to his food while eating, so precutting his meat meant he would barely look at it. The temp out of the oven was 145*F and there was no way I was going to get it to look well done.

So, will have various leftovers with this lovely meat. Yesterday I baked a bunch of white and sweet potatoes, as well as oven roasted chunks of potatoes. Any suggestions of what to do with this meat? I am thawing some ricotta cheese to make a concoction of horseradish and cheese. Gosh, this is my last jar of horseradish , will have to think of making more . Boy is that an experience ...
__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:14 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
The sirloin roast last night was excellent. Twas also the first time for this 55 year old to ever cook a beef roast , other than pot roasts. Had to do a bit of tomfoolery for the DH, he likes beef well done and I like it med rare, so I cut his meltingly tender meat into bite size pieces and turned down the lights. He is not one to pay much attention to his food while eating, so precutting his meat meant he would barely look at it. The temp out of the oven was 145*F and there was no way I was going to get it to look well done.

So, will have various leftovers with this lovely meat. Yesterday I baked a bunch of white and sweet potatoes, as well as oven roasted chunks of potatoes. Any suggestions of what to do with this meat? I am thawing some ricotta cheese to make a concoction of horseradish and cheese. Gosh, this is my last jar of horseradish , will have to think of making more . Boy is that an experience ...
Beth,
my Dh loves me to cube up left over roast, add some diced potatoes, and then make a gravy to mix over it..I first just saute some onions and garlic , add the potatoes, let them cook a bit, add the meat and gravy heat through and serve. He also likes this put into a pie shell and topped with more crust like a pot pie..Will eat it several days in a row with another veggie and salad..
kadesma
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:17 AM   #7
Senior Cook
 
mraa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 332
Send a message via MSN to mraa Send a message via Yahoo to mraa
Think I'm gonna try to make Tequila Lime Chicken tonite. Got the chicken in the fridge thawing now.
__________________
Chef R
Life is too short not to enjoy good food.
mraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Tonight we are having shredded pork tacos with avocado sauce, lettuce diced tomatoes,diced red onions,rice and maybe refried or drunken beans..dessert is left over pumpkin pie...

kadesma
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:02 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 4,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
Beth,
my Dh loves me to cube up left over roast, add some diced potatoes, and then make a gravy to mix over it..I first just saute some onions and garlic , add the potatoes, let them cook a bit, add the meat and gravy heat through and serve. He also likes this put into a pie shell and topped with more crust like a pot pie..Will eat it several days in a row with another veggie and salad..
kadesma
Very insightful Kades, right up my alley! Thanks
__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:05 PM   #10
Master Chef
 
SizzlininIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Indiana
Posts: 5,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraa
Think I'm gonna try to make Tequila Lime Chicken tonite. Got the chicken in the fridge thawing now.
Thats what I fixed last night....minus the Margaritas though. NOTE: Should say I was going to make margaritas but decided against it :)

Tonight I'm making Creamy Garlicly Mussels and serve it over angel hair pasta and top with parm -reg cheese and fresh parsley. I have to make a run back over to IL to pick up DH so I'm going to run to the bakery and grab a fresh loaf a bread to sop up all the sauce. I was going to make a loaf in the bread machine but changed my mind. Along with it I'm making a warm vinegrette and serve it over a mesculan salad.
__________________

__________________
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.