"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-04-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
Master Chef

Dinner Monday, May 4th, 2009

we cooked: maryland crabcakes, roasted redpepper remoulade, & purple vinagrette cabbage slaw;

almond-crusted halibut, beurre rouge, zucchini noodles (neat!), carrot tournet (i'm not sure who tourned them, they looked more like squiggly battonets), & pommes anna. yum.

also potato-crusted cod, fresh tomato sauce, sauteed garlic spinach, tourne yellow squash, grn. herb oil, & shrimp bisque.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

So thinks we should be on a diet (she's right) so low cal is the word of the day. I am grilling a couple of boneless pork loin chops and making a tossed salad.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Cowboy Caviar

After a weekend of gluttony (burgers, brats, dogs... the weather was nice!) I am going with something much healthier this evening... some Cowboy Caviar.

The tangy flavors of the red wine vinaigrette mixed with the jalapeno and cilantro is incredible. A little wild rice on the side and it will more than fill us up.

Best part about it is that the recipe "gets better with age"... meaning my lunch the next few days will be even better.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Finally, feeling good enough to go out! Going to see my sons 1st college apartment (which he will share with 4 other boys, oh my), then out to dinner. Don't know where yet, and quite frankly don't care. Just happy to be feeling well enough to get out for a while. I'll let ya know how it was later. Have a great afternoon everyone.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
we cooked: maryland crabcakes, roasted redpepper remoulade, & purple vinagrette cabbage slaw;

almond-crusted halibut, beurre rouge, zucchini noodles (neat!), carrot tournet (i'm not sure who tourned them, they looked more like squiggly battonets), & pommes anna. yum.

also potato-crusted cod, fresh tomato sauce, sauteed garlic spinach, tourne yellow squash, grn. herb oil, & shrimp bisque.
If you don't mind me asking, what went into the dressing for this slaw?
Old 05-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
Master Chef

sure, let me check my notes.....
4 ounces oil, 6 ounces vinegar, 4 ounces sugar, salt, papper to 1/2 pound mixed cabbage.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Wink

Quote:

Ya know, luvs, I just luv (lol) to read about what you all make in school everyday (I'm right about that, culinary school?) I like reading what everyone has for dinner, I'm not able to eat as much now as before, but I still find it so much fun. I learned to cook by reading and rereading Better Homes and Gardens and Betty Crocker, so it sounds so great to learn all those recipes and techniques. Good luck to you, and post as many pictures as you can, inquiring minds want to know!
Old 05-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
4 ounces oil, 6 ounces vinegar, 4 ounces sugar, salt, papper to 1/2 pound mixed cabbage.
Thanks!
Old 05-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Um, is that right? That's a quarter-pound of sugar for 1/2 pound of cabbage?

SRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:00 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by katybar22 View Post
Ya know, luvs, I just luv (lol) to read about what you all make in school everyday (I'm right about that, culinary school?) I like reading what everyone has for dinner, I'm not able to eat as much now as before, but I still find it so much fun. I learned to cook by reading and rereading Better Homes and Gardens and Betty Crocker, so it sounds so great to learn all those recipes and techniques. Good luck to you, and post as many pictures as you can, inquiring minds want to know!

thanks! i will post today's dinner pics when jake gets in. or tomorroq.