"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-15-2007, 07:03 AM   #1
Head Chef

Dinner, Monday Oct. 15

I'm going to heat up some garlic in some olive oil. Throw in a can of whole tomatoes (crushed) and cook that up for about 20 minutes. Than I'm going to throw in a couple cans of chopped clams with the clam juice of course - and serve it over spagetti. Italian bread to go with it. Yummy!!!!

Old 10-15-2007, 07:24 AM   #2
Executive Chef

That sounds good!!! I made a big pot of beef stew yesterday. So, we'll have that with salad and French bread.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:49 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
a Chinese leaf stir-fry with cashews, a chinese style Turkey and Mushroom curry, with sesame noodles.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:02 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

This will be our dinner today. We love having this with mashed potatoes & green beans but our grandson wants some penny noodles (penne pasta...lol) with it. I let it slow cook all day & the smell is perfect on a chilly day.

Italian Pot Roast

3 1/2 to 4 pound rump, blade or chuck beef roast
1 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 large carrot, diced (about 1 cup)
1 large celery stalk, diced (about 1 cup)
1 medium onion, diced (1 to 1 1/2 cups)
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 bay leaf
1 tsp each, oregano & basil
1 cup medium-bodied Italian red wine
2 cups beef broth
1 28-ounce can Italian plum tomatoes

Trim some of the fat from the meat. Pat dry with paper towels. Season generously with the salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, shimmering but not smoking, add the roast and cook, turning it a few times, until it is nicely browned on all sides, 10-12 minutes. Transfer the meat to a platter.

Reduce the heat to medium. Add the carrot, celery, and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are golden brown and begin to stick to the bottom of the pan, 10-12 minutes. Add the garlic, oregano, and basil, and stir until the herbs are lightly colored and fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the wine and stir quickly, lifting up the richly browned caramelized vegetables that stick to the bottom of the pan. When the wine is almost all evaporated and thickly coats the vegetables, return the meat to the pan and turn it over a few times to coat it with the savory base.

Raise the heat to high, adding the remaining wine, the bay leaf, and the tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, turning and basting the meat every half hour or so, until the meat is very tender and flakes away when pierced with a fork, 3-4 hours. Turn off the heat and let the roast sit in its juices for an hour. (You can also put the pot into a 300F oven and turn the roast every hour.)

Remove the meat from the pot and place it on a cutting board, covered loosely with aluminum foil. If the sauce is too thin, bring it to a fast boil and reduce it until it has a medium-thick consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning. Cut the meat into thick slices (it will probably fall apart), and place on warm serving dishes. Spoon the sauce over the meat and serve hot. Serve with rice, mashed potatoes, or polenta.

Serves 8.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
Master Chef

We're having chicken scampi, but since we've had a lot of pasta lately, I think I'll serve it with some rice. Steamed veggie (probably squash and broccoli) and spinach salad with a Parmesan Ranch dressing.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:53 PM   #6
Certified Cake Maniac

Pork chops smothered in onions and mushroom gravy, with mashed potatoes (made with sour cream, garlic and shallots) and roasted carrots. My DH has been on a spinach salad kick so I will probably trying another variation of that. Oh, and warm apple crisp with ice cream for dessert
Old 10-15-2007, 01:44 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Baked pork chops, potatoes, stuffing, and cranberry sauce.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
Head Chef

Leftover grilled salmon, brown rice, steamed veggies...

Or a Vietnam noodle bowl with leftover salmon, haven't decided yet.
Gotta get my Nuoc Cham fix!
Old 10-15-2007, 02:03 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Well, I'm boring and I'll be having a baked potato and an ear or two of corn. I cook for one, so....*shrug*

But that tomato and clams recipe sounds FAB! I've had "clam bake" on the brain for about 2 weeks now. Tiz the season!
Old 10-15-2007, 02:04 PM   #10
Everymom

Hmmm, must be a pork chop day. We're having that tonight too. I haven't decided what all else we're doing though. I think we will have homemade fries and likely some kind of cooked veggie. Maybe carrots? Got a jillion of those. And for salad...I'm all for caesar, but Ken has to go back out and work so that might not be good. LOL.