Dinner, Monday the 19th of October, 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
View attachment 23678

Grilled b/s chicken thighs with Miners Mix XXX-Garlic Seasoning & Rub,
roasted Baby Dutch Yellow Potatoes with some of the rub and olive oil on them and Trader Joe's Soycatash. SHHHHH! Don't tell DH that's kinda healthy ;)

p.s.
It has been storming like it was the middle of the summer monsoon for the past three days and it was nice to have a nice day today and get outside :)

It's getting chilly out, so winter, comfort food for us: http://www.discusscooking.com/forum...f-with-juniper-berries-82958.html#post1211562, served with rødkål (Danish red cabbage), mashed potatoes, and lingonberry preserves (from Ikea).

12096003_10156168540240191_4003919288924149524_n.jpg

My supermarket has two full aisles of just Goya products. You would be surprised at how many non-Hispanic folks are in those two aisles. It is not just an ethnic aisle anymore. The public have discovered it. :angel:

I wouldn't. Mexican food has been pretty popular throughout the United States for decades now.

Nice plate Taxi..
My tri tip got slightly overdone to our taste, but the veggies are always outrageously good. I could eat them every day of the week.
Andy, how was your marinated pork tenderloin?
img_1441064_0_b8f098ef5841b15a8dc0e2db271740a9.jpg

Nice plate Taxi..
My tri tip got slightly overdone to our taste, but the veggies are always outrageously good. I could eat them every day of the week.
Andy, how was your marinated pork tenderloin?
img_1441068_0_b8f098ef5841b15a8dc0e2db271740a9.jpg
Thanks Kay. That meal looks fabulous. The tri tip looks like it's still pink. Pink is still tasty and not dry.

Delicious looking dinners, ladies! :yum:

I freezer scrounged this afternoon and found some pulled pork, and ended up with a couple of tacos with a side of doctored up refried black beans. That with a quick pico de gallo really hit the spot. I'm thinking the leftovers will be nice for a loaded up burrito tomorrow. ;)

Addie, I have never seen 2 full aisles dedicated to Goya products alone in our supermarkets. :ohmy: We have a huge Hispanic population here in SoCal, not to mention the non Hispanics who use them often as well. :) I want to shop in your local supermarket with such a large selection.

Last edited:
Not to mention Addie, we have a huge Pacific Ocean out here in the "wild west" filled with gifts of the sea. New England doesn't have everything.

Our influence from Mexico is unique to our cooking here.

I agree with Cheryl, I've never seen a store with 2 full isles of Goya products in this mostly Hispanic area.

FWIW, we have an entire store in our town that is devoted to...Polish food. Then again, the store is small enough that it IS two full aisles. :LOL: Well, maybe three. But the freezer full of homemade pierogis, and the fresh meat with at least 7 different smoked kielbasa, and the bakery case and shelf with breads and pastries... Oh, I have to stop there soon. :yum:

My plans for dinner were chicken, asparagus, and a rice dish. My real-life dinner turned out to be leftover mac-and-cheese with fried cod and bay scallops from the grocery store that fries while you wait. Boy, was that plate "beige".

FWIW, we have an entire store in our town that is devoted to...Polish food. Then again, the store is small enough that it IS two full aisles. :LOL: Well, maybe three. But the freezer full of homemade pierogis, and the fresh meat with at least 7 different smoked kielbasa, and the bakery case and shelf with breads and pastries... Oh, I have to stop there soon. :yum:

My plans for dinner were chicken, asparagus, and a rice dish. My real-life dinner turned out to be leftover mac-and-cheese with fried cod and bay scallops from the grocery store that fries while you wait. Boy, was that plate "beige".
Do you rush home with the fried fish or do you nuke it?

I've never tasted truffles, could you describe the flavor profile ?

It's something you just have to taste. They taste different to different people. Some people taste dirt (really) like GG said, especially when they are old. Others taste a super-super mushroom taste. Others chocolate, musky notes. Etc. To me, they are on the mushroom, musky, with little vanilla, chocolate notes side, plus something I just can't put words to. It's the smell as well. Once you've smelled a truffle you'll always know the smell. Right now, you get hit with the smell of truffle when you open the freezer or fridge door even though they truffles are in a SEALED container in rice for later risotto. That's how pungent they are.

If you want to try it for yourself and not spend a whole lot of $, get some GOOD quality truffle oil made from real truffles, not chemicals, or truffle butter from a reputable producer. You'll have to do some research as I make my own now from the tiny shaving bits that come off and from the end pieces when we get truffles.

The first time I ever had truffled anything was at a high-end Italian restaurant. The chef had either poached in butter or sous vide'd some medium shrimp until they were just cooked, with some pale pink markings, plump and juicy, and then drizzled them with truffle oil or melted truffle butter. This was a LONG time ago but I'll never forget that dish. In fact, I may just try and replicate it since I have such an abundance now.

Last edited:
I know, but seriously, I think it tastes like dirt. I had it in a high-end restaurant on mac 'n cheese. Did not like it.

It was probably old and had lost its flavor. Could you smell it? If you couldn't, it was past its prime.

It was probably old and had lost its flavor. Could you smell it? If you couldn't, it was past its prime.

I don't remember, but this chef had cooked around the world before opening his own place. He was a college friend of my brother's and was personally serving us. I don't think he would have served us sub-standard truffles.

Do you rush home with the fried fish or do you nuke it?
IF I have sides ready when I do the fish run, we eat it hot from the store (it's less than 4 miles point-to-point). Usually I still have to fix potatoes and a veggie. Since yesterday's was an unplanned fish run, we ate right away (I was starving, we had to do it to protect Himself from Crabby CG). Fortunately, I had enough mac&cheese leftover to use as one side. We nibbled on fruit later in the evening so we had some sort of produce.

BTW, if I have to reheat the fish, I usually heat the oven to 375-400, then heat it in the oven for all of about 5 minutes. Less for the little scallops. It seems to get a touch greasy compared to when it's first cooked, but I just toss a couple of paper towels onto the baking sheet when it comes from the oven, transfer the fish to them, and blot the tops with another. If it's just one or two little pieces, I nuke them. Gently. Do NOT let Himself microwave your leftovers. Everything is "full speed ahead". :glare:

Back
Top Bottom