"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-14-2014, 11:09 PM   #21
Executive Chef

chips and guacamole here

Old 01-14-2014, 11:40 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Oh my goodness, no thread yet????????

I cooked Pad Krapow Moo again tonight. Mustn't let that nice Thai basil go to waste!

Really, those of you who have never tasted Thai basil, you should see if you can get some. It's in the same family but not that much like our Western basil. It has a unique licorice taste and otherwise tastes somewhat like Western basil.

I'm very lucky that I can get it in several Asian markets in the San Fernando Valley only about a dozen miles south of me. I'm down there at least once a week so I can resupply then.

Anyway my "moo" (pork) was good. This dish IMO requires 1-2 fried eggs sunny side up to make it perfect. And the best fried eggs is if you can get the edges really crispy, like use some extra oil and get it really hot and fry your egg then don't flip it, just serve it, liquid yolk and all.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:42 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Two topics for January 14th, moderators please merge the topics.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:55 AM   #24
Proud American

We had grilled salmon (on the cedar boards), corn on the cob, and baked sweet potatoes.

I put lemon juice, fresh rosemary and cracked pepper on the salmon. We like our sweet potatoes with butter, a bit of brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon.

With love,
~Cat
Old 01-15-2014, 08:09 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I had everything lined up to make a paella for my daughter but she has to stay late at school for drama, soooooo. I will keep the chicken in the fridger for butter chicken tomorrow night. We are going to make mini pizzas on Naan bread. I have some killer Italian sausage we made a while ago, mushrooms, onions, red peppers, black olives, cuttle fish, feta cheese. I will probably make up about 4 different ones 'cus they are only 8 inch rounds...
Deep fried the cuttlefish for a bit of an app. Naan bread makes decent pizza crusts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	20607   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	20608  

Old 01-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #26
Executive Chef

I made meatloaf and it turned out great, thanks to all the pointers I received on this forum. I think I am more successful when I make a smaller meatloaf (1-1/2 lb meat) than if I try a larger one. I think the next time I need a larger one I will make 2 smaller ones instead.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #27
Master Chef

Two smaller of practically anything is better than one really big one. Even had my kids that way - a twin-pack, so to speak.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Two smaller of practically anything is better than one really big one...

Reminds me of a quote attributed to W. C. fields, 'I'd rather have two women of 20 years each than one at forty.'
Old 01-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Tonight for dinner we will be having Fried Chicken Tenders but I'm not sure what will be going with them. I also have some homemade apple oatmeal in the crockpot for tomorrow mornings breakfast. And some Cinnamon Raisin Bread cooking in the bread maker.

The house smells lovely this afternoon!
Old 01-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Deep fried the cuttlefish for a bit of an app. Naan bread makes decent pizza crusts.
Your pizza's look AMAZING.. I can't talk myself into trying to attempt making my own pizza dough, For some reason I have a vision in my head that it won't turn out right. But yours look AMAZING!

Tags
dinner