Dinner on Shrove Tuesday Feb 28/17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm having wet burritos, baked, with enchilada sauce and cheese topped. I usually make dry burritos, hold in your hand type. I have enchilada sauce to use up. Avocado cucumber onion baby tomato salad on the side. I'll probably only eat one burrito and warm another for lunch mañana.

Oh, Whisk...I love wet burritos and you've just reminded me that I haven't had one in a few months. :yum: Have you ever made them with Herdez Salsa Verde for the sauce? Delish.

Here's one from last year that I recreated and doctored up, inspired by my fave tiny little mom and pop restaurant in my small town. Leftover pork, rice, refried beans, and avocado, smothered with salsa verde and topped with lots of goodies. Like you mentioned, definitely not a hold in your hand type burrito. :yum:

Attachments

• pork burrito with homemade pico de gallo.jpg
    pork burrito with homemade pico de gallo.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 91
Mardi Gras dinner...... Grilled oysters w/ green onion, ginger, garlic and lime juice.
Spaghett w/ scallops in butter sauce.

img_1501147_0_5d7d8cbdc886fa4bd4dd32624610dd1c.jpg

img_1501147_1_87069ea27413c743265d3e4f1727f403.jpg

Looks and sounds delicious, Joey! And I love your little lime mouse. :)

Propane smell? -- I can smell methane, but not propane.

Propane has a chemical smell added to it, too. One thing to keep in mind is that methane is lighter than air, so it lofts up to your nose. Propane is heavier than air, so it settles to the ground. But, you should still smell it.

As for using the propane torch on food, I can definitely smell and taste it, especially with delicate foods like fish. The Searsall completely eliminates it.

Besides, it is a cool kitchen toy. :chef:

CD

BTW, that propane information is a good safety tip, too. Some serious explosions have happened because propane is heavier than air. It can pool up under a house, or deck, or in a basement. Keep your propane stored outside in a well ventilated area.

Last edited:
As a practising Christian, I follow the Christian calendar, when Lent and Advent are the fasting periods. In England, Shrove Tuesday is commonly known as pancake day - a day in which rich foods are finished off, and in comes the lean diet, not necessarily these altogether without meat, but where a modest diet is followed, right up to Palm Sunday and the preparation for the feast of Easter Sunday. I find it's a good time to eat modestly and also to lose a bit of weight side by side with the practices of the Church of England. So yesterday, we said goodbye to the fat and luxurious and now embrace the lean and mean for a while. The symbol of the fat and lean is the pancake, made with eggs etc which you all know very well, and today we move on to a soup (Hungarian potato and cabbage soup - let me know if you want the recipe) with bread, and tonight a lean steak and salad. From thereon in, it's low fat, lean and mean, as mentioned above.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

My sole experience with propane is propane torches and camping stoves. I guess I'm not sensitive to the smell of propane. In any case most of my propane use has been outdoors (camping) so it's obvious I wouldn't smell it then.

I have used a propane torch on food occasionally, and a smaller kitchen torch designed for such use (probably a waste of money) and either I'm insensitive to the smell (peoples' sense of smell differs) or there was enough ventilation that it blew the propane smell away from me. I didn't smell it on the food.

My kitchen torch is butane and there is a bit of a smell when it's being used. However, it takes forever to torch a pepper with it and the bigger one does a much better job.

Oh, Whisk...I love wet burritos and you've just reminded me that I haven't had one in a few months. :yum: Have you ever made them with Herdez Salsa Verde for the sauce? Delish.

Here's one from last year that I recreated and doctored up, inspired by my fave tiny little mom and pop restaurant in my small town. Leftover pork, rice, refried beans, and avocado, smothered with salsa verde and topped with lots of goodies. Like you mentioned, definitely not a hold in your hand type burrito. :yum:

CJ, I haven't had a wet burrito in eons either. It was good and will do this again. I used a container of doctored up canned enchilada sauce whose freezer rent was over due. I like Herdez salsa the best but its hard to find in stores here. While recent shopping, I was only able to score a Medium hot jar ( they had mild or med, no hot)and I have never seen the green salsa other than on their web-site. This is a good reminder to keep checking the store shelves.

My kitchen torch is butane and there is a bit of a smell when it's being used. However, it takes forever to torch a pepper with it and the bigger one does a much better job.
Mine probably is too. It has such a wimpy flame it's almost useless. Probably was a waste of money. Particularly since my DIY tools include a screw on propane attachment works on camping propane bottles. That's the right tool for kitchen forced browning or blasting the skins off of chili peppers.

CJ, I haven't had a wet burrito in eons either. It was good and will do this again. I used a container of doctored up canned enchilada sauce whose freezer rent was over due. I like Herdez salsa the best but its hard to find in stores here. While recent shopping, I was only able to score a Medium hot jar ( they had mild or med, no hot)and I have never seen the green salsa other than on their web-site. This is a good reminder to keep checking the store shelves.

Whisk, I'm surprised it's so hard to find in your city. :( It can be found in even the smallest stores here - maybe it's more of a southwestern/California thing.

It also comes in 8 oz cans, and you might be able to get it on Amazon or Jet.

I like enchilada sauce on them, too - but once I tried the salsa verde I was hooked. :)

I also have a butane kitchen torch, and you are right, it isn't good for much beyond creme brulee. It is great for lighting cigars, though. :cool:

CD

I also have a butane kitchen torch, and you are right, it isn't good for much beyond creme brulee. It is great for lighting cigars, though. :cool:

CD
That's the one, came with four dishes in the package. :)

Useless. I sometimes use mine for lighting incense, although I ran out of incense a few years ago.

Whisk, I'm surprised it's so hard to find in your city. :( It can be found in even the smallest stores here - maybe it's more of a southwestern/California thing.

It's not that. I can get it in several stores here. Since we grow tomatillos, though, I usually make my own and freeze it.

That's what I would have thought, GG, that it would be available nationwide. I don't get out much past my own little area, though. :LOL:

I bet it's wonderful with home grown tomatillos! :yum:

Keep looking, Whisk! :flowers:

We have many grocery stores and I am not partial to any one in particular, Only a couple carry any Herdez products. Pace Picante is everywhere. I always bring a grocery list and if salsa or something else Mexican is not on the list, I confess I don’t stop and look in that aisle although I am pretty sure I have checked them all out at one time or another. And yes, sometimes I forget when going to which store, and then have to go to a 2nd store for salsa. I am partial to Herdez, as I think their red salsa is the best. So I’m holding out.

I looked at two green chili salsa recipes on line a few minutes ago. One was heavy with tomatillos and some peppers, the other had a lot of Anaheim, Cubanelle, and serrano chilies in addition to tomatillos. That could be a clue why some Mexican restaurants green chili sauces/salsa are more spicier than others, not necessarily hot spicy, just spicier.

We have many grocery stores and I am not partial to any one in particular, Only a couple carry any Herdez products. Pace Picante is everywhere. I always bring a grocery list and if salsa or something else Mexican is not on the list, I confess I don’t stop and look in that aisle although I am pretty sure I have checked them all out at one time or another. And yes, sometimes I forget when going to which store, and then have to go to a 2nd store for salsa. I am partial to Herdez, as I think their red salsa is the best. So I’m holding out.

I looked at two green chili salsa recipes on line a few minutes ago. One was heavy with tomatillos and some peppers, the other had a lot of Anaheim, Cubanelle, and serrano chilies in addition to tomatillos. That could be a clue why some Mexican restaurants green chili sauces/salsa are more spicier than others, not necessarily hot spicy, just spicier.

Pace is pretty much everywhere -- except in my kitchen. Herdez is good, and easily available here in Texas. I really like a local brand called Mateo's.

Mateo's Gourmet Salsa | Mateo's Gourmet Salsa

Down here, there are so many salsas that you can't count them all. Many of them are very good. When I have a good jalapeño crop, I make my own. Otherwise, I can find so many good salsas here that I really don't need to make my own. I just do it because I have a boatload of peppers to use.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom