Dinner on Shrove Tuesday Feb 28/17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Well I WAS going to make chana masala, but I think I might be making potato pancakes instead. I can't decide. Might have to do both!

Regardless of dinner, there will be a whole lot of dessert eating before Lent begins. Sheesh we have a lot of goodies to use up!

It is also "Fat Tuesday", which means Mardi Gras! Haven't decided on dinner.

Tonight will be pancakes, sausage, and bacon, and tomorrow I'll be fasting.

I'm still not sure what to give up for Lent. My church serves up to many cookies and sweets and think that might be a good start.

I have a book club meeting tonight, so dinner will be whatever snacks people bring. I'm taking salami, cheese and crackers with homemade mustard. DH is on his own.

We're having the barbacoa I slow-cooked up a couple days ago. I need to push myself out of the house to do the little shopping that needs to be done this week - nothing but rain or cold the rest of the week. I want to nest after today. We'll be having barbacoa salads tonight if I don't buy another package of tortillas, though. Two "flats" won't be enough.

Shrove Tuesday: pancake day, which I always observe, and that my DH loves.
After that it's lean and mean because I always observe Lent, and then, after that and Holy Week, on Easter Sunday it's a day of celebration, and on Easter Monday it's a day out with friends, tripping the light fantastic, as we say over here.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I'm doing up a pot of pasta with sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes, broccoli and then bunging in some cheese sauce at the end.....I have no idea what it will be like, but I just feel like doing it...

I made a boatload of stuffed shells last month and portioned out most of them in vacuum seal bags for the freezer. Took one package out to thaw this afternoon, so I'll be having that with roasted asparagus on the side.

I'm having wet burritos, baked, with enchilada sauce and cheese topped. I usually make dry burritos, hold in your hand type. I have enchilada sauce to use up. Avocado cucumber onion baby tomato salad on the side. I'll probably only eat one burrito and warm another for lunch mañana.

I didn't feel well much of the day, but I'm starting to get hungry. I've got some Zummo's Boudin for Fat Tuesday fare. A big pot-o-gumbo just wasn't going to happen today. I also have some Gulf shrimp in the freezer that I could fry up and serve with the boudin.

I am giving up giving up anything for lent -- as usual. So, I'll not be not eating meat on Fridays, and I'll not be not drinking alcohol. It will be tough, but I think I can do it.

CD

3 legs of chicken, store seasoned, baked, white rice (jasmine, reheated/nuked), baked mushrooms (plain) and maybe some asparagus (julienned/nuked). Already nibbling fresh veggies (mushroom, red onion, asparagus) with dip (reduced fat sour cream, dried onion soup mix). Typical "no effort" dinner. No diet sins either.

I wonder where they find 3 legged chickens... ;)

I made some penne pasta. I made some homemade meatballs with an egg, bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, EVOO, parmesan, fresh garlic, finely diced onions. I used a jarred sauce (Del Grosso), wasn't gross. Ha.

We had stuffed peppers made with ground beef, wild rice, onion, garlic, rosemary, and Papillon blue cheese, with a homemade steak sauce on the side that was very close in taste to A1, but better.

picture.php

These are the peppers before stuffing, but after Craig took the handheld blow torch to them to get rid of the skin.

picture.php

'
I really like him using the handheld blow torch (plumbing aisle in a big box hardware store). They are still quite firm and easy to stuff.

Last edited:
We had stuffed peppers made with ground beef, wild rice, onion, garlic, rosemary, and Papillon blue cheese, with a homemade steak sauce on the side that was very close in taste to A1, but better.

picture.php

These are the peppers before stuffing, but after Craig took the handheld blow torch to them to get rid of the skin.

picture.php

'
I really like him using the handheld blow torch (plumbing aisle in a big box hardware store). They are still quite firm and easy to stuff.

You need to get a Searsall. https://www.amazon.com/Searzall-Torch-Attachment-Small-Stainless/dp/B00L2P0KNO

It gets rid of the propane smell and taste you can get with just a torch alone.

CD

Last edited:
Mardi Gras dinner...... Grilled oysters w/ green onion, ginger, garlic and lime juice.
Spaghett w/ scallops in butter sauce.

img_1501134_0_5d7d8cbdc886fa4bd4dd32624610dd1c.jpg

img_1501134_1_87069ea27413c743265d3e4f1727f403.jpg

Back
Top Bottom