dinner party 'clubs'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
I would love my husband and I to be involved in one of those dinner party clubs (where like 5 couples are involved and there is a mystery dinner at one of their homes every two months or whatever). I bet that could be a hoot. You have to come up with a theme and send mystery invitations out and decorate your house like the theme you're intending and have the guests dress up like they 'think' the theme is. How fun would that be? All the food is related to the theme. I don't know, it'd probably be a lot of work and someone on the couple's list would no doubt be famous for cancelling their stint at the last moment and maybe after a short while, it'd all fizzle out anyway. I think it sounds like a fun something to look forward to say 5 or 6 times a year.

Anyone belong to one or has anyone ever? Comments on the experience if the answer is yes.

Sounds like a ton of fun! I'd love it.

Can't wait to read the postings that I am sure will follow!

I'd love to be involved in something like this. I've heard of other types of similar clubs as well. Some where everyone involved takes one course, with an agreed upon menu before hand, some where different people host every week. A freind and I who both collected cookbooks would take menus from Gourmet magazine or a cookbook we owned in common (or one one of us owned and the other copied from), or simply chose an ethnic cuisine. There are many "formats" for "gourmet" or "supper" clubs. The main thing is that there has to be few enough people that you can comfortably eat in each persons house. For example, if you're all in your 20s or 30s, then sitting on the floor with a plate in your lap and glass of wine on the floor works. On the other hand, as folk get older, many cannot do that.

But I love the mystery take on this!

Back in the dark ages (about 1973) a bunch of us college students who lived in apartments (aka had a kitchen and a place to have guests) got together and had a "progressive" dinner party ... before dinner drinks at one apartment, salad/soup at another, one or two entres at 1 or 2 other somewhere elses, dessert at the last apt. before we all went out to party and dance at a club somewhere.

It was fun - once or twice. After that - it was just MUCH easier to have a "pot luck" supper with a pre-arranaged menu.

can we add 5 more hours to every day? hmmm, 10 more hours????

i would absolutely love to belong to a group like that, but i don't have time to hear my own heart beat twice, let alone decorate my house and throw a party...

I was talking to a friend once who told me she and her husband belonged to one of these groups. We were talking about it because she was explaining to me that in two weeks it was her turn to host the dinner. She'd sent out the invites with a western theme that she'd made on the computer. Using words like ho down and rustler, stuff like that. Gave hints of what to bring and what time to be there, "half past 7 pardner".
I saw her a month or so later and we again discussed her party which was now over. They'd had a ball, everyone came dressed like Roy and Dale or close, and the food was a backyard barbecue. Some didn't quite get the hints right, which she said is half the fun. They come dressed looking different from everyone else and the music and stuff made the evening. I told her I wished she had room for just one more couple to join in the fun, that being hubby and myself. Alas, she didn't :?

Back
Top Bottom