Dinner Plans for Saturday the 28th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Ill get the ball rolling with my dinner plans.

I have a 4-pound chicken I'll be smoking on my Weber kettle today. We have some pasta and tossed salads as sides.

Not feeling too great today. The maintenance medication the doctor has prescribed is whippin' my butt. The most common side effect is severe bone and joint pain and I'm nearly out of commission today.

In view of my discomfort, I've opted to prepare an old, old standby. A childhood casserole called Paul's Goo, which was created by a family friend, yes, Paul. It's comfort food for me.

Browned ground beef with onions, green peppers, garlic, cooked elbow macaroni, creamed corn and tomato soup. Baked until hot and bubbly. I prepared it this morning when I was able to move my fingers and hands without too much pain.

We'll have iced tea to drink and some of the last of the shortbread cookies I made last week will serve as our dessert.

Katie, I hope you are In-commission, not out of commission this weekend!!

Dx is OOT for a sisters weekend. Her dog is visiting here for the weekend. The girls will be eating On the kitchen table, for safety reasons. Dog will want half the bed, and one cat. The other has already retreated under the bed until I can coax her out later.

I have corn on the cob and asparagus for grilling. I made a Catalina French dressing- apricot jam- dry onion soup mix +snipped rosemary sauce to brush on grilled bone in chix breasts.

Edit: It just started raining rather significantly. Dinner might suddenly become Oven baked rather than grilled. No need to figure which for several hours.

Last edited:
Still hot and humid here!

Finishing up the last of the salad fixins, a dish of red jello with fresh whipped cream and lots of iced tea.

Today when I made the iced tea I added three whole cloves to the tea bags and boiling water, that little hint of spice gives the tea a nice flavor boost.

Panko breaded chicken nuggets. I think I gooped them up with home-made ranch a bit too much before breading, they didn't get as nice and crunchy as they usually do.

What, Uncle Bob, no chocolate ice cream for dessert? ;) Good to see you.

Not feeling too great today. The maintenance medication the doctor has prescribed is whippin' my butt. The most common side effect is severe bone and joint pain and I'm nearly out of commission today...
Silly of that doctor. Doesn't he know you get joint pain without any help from meds? :huh: Seriously, though, I hope you feel good and are back to wiggling your fingers soon. ((hugss))

I bought a couple porterhouse steaks yesterday; Himself gets to grill them today. Sides will be salad, small baked potatoes, and steamed broccoli. IF we end up with dessert, we'll have a bit of pound cake topped with some fresh strawberries and a dollop of vanilla bean ice cream.

I'm having the rest of the grilled pork ribs and pasta salad from yesterday. I picked up some fresh baby beets from the farmers market today and will roast them to have alongside. Looking forward to those. :yum:

Temps up in the middle 90's today. So I stayed in and Pirate put three pieces of seasoned chicken in the oven. Two thighs and one leg. And we also had a good helping of buttered broccoli. No starch today.

So glad they turned on the DC yesterday. :angel:

We've been working all day getting the house and garden ready for us to leave for several days. We're both exhausted, so we're ordering pizza tonight. That means we'll also have an easy breakfast tomorrow ;)

Had you ordered the largest pizza, GG, you would have on-the-road-lunch, too. A foil packet on the engine, maybe? :LOL: Have a good drive and a pleasant trip.

Our $5.99 a pound steak was delicious. :yum: I must brag that Himself is in mid-season form. This was his first steak of the year and it was perfect.

Attachments

• 2016-05-28 21.12.08.jpg
    2016-05-28 21.12.08.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 202
CG, your steak looks perfect. :yum: Kudos to Himself. I too, LOVE mushrooms with grilled steak!

We had a big cookout dinner for the whole family today at older son's house. He cut up 20 lbs of whole chickens using two grills and he did the parts to perfection after marinating it in lemon juice, soy sauce, fresh ginger, onion and sesame seeds. Sides from the family were green salad, fruit salad, potato salad, cucumber/onion salad, SW corn black bean salad. Nobody missed the garlic bread or a dessert, as everyone is on some sort of a diet. Everything was perfect including the company. Little Cheyenne was the delight of everyone, as usual. It's so wonderful to have a little child in our family again!:wub:

Kayelle, it sounds like you and Souschef had a perfect day. :heart:

Sometimes I think the mushrooms are the best part, Cheryl! I sear them with butter in a really hot pan. After the surfaces are browned and they're almost done, I deglaze the pan with dry Sherry. :yum:

Sounds like a perfect family day, Kay! I can so imagine little Cheyenne being the star. :wub:

CG...I'll have buy some sherry and try that with sautéed mushrooms. Sounds good! I usually sauté them in an olive oil/butter combo and add green onions. Always up for trying something different!

I made Oyster stew with minced sauteed celery and shallots, s&p a heavy pinch of cayenne, and heavy cream. It was the best Oyster stew I have ever eaten.

Back
Top Bottom