Dinner Plans for Thursday the 30th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Thursday is usually grocery shopping day for us. Today I picked up some salmon filets for GD and me and a haddock filet for SO. Mashed potatoes and a spinach and mushroom salad with complete the meal.

Forecast is for a snowstorm on Friday and Saturday, but today is sunny and in the upper 40's, so I'll make a grill dinner while I can. Grilled marinated steak tips, baked sweet potatoes, roasted brussel sprouts.

Loosely cooked onions and hamburger over rice. Broccoli cooked to death. I can eat the flowerettes, but have problems with the stems. So we have to cook them to mush. I could wait until they were thawed out and cut off the small stems. Too much work. Let the stove do all the work.

Tonight is clean out the frig day. There is enough sloppy joe mix for two small sammies, and I have just two buns for them. Rarely do things like this come out even. There is cole slaw to go with and sliced strawberries with some of Dx's home made yogurt. I think she's secretly keeping a cow in her back yard, as she's making and pushing a lot of yogurt lately.

I'm going to reheat the lasagna left over from yesterday and make sautéed green beans. I think I'll try making some garlic knots from the no-knead dough in the fridge - see if I can get them warm and risen in an hour using the proofing setting on my oven.

Pork Loin Roast and Collard Greens.

img_1505216_0_d8fe417c1742160d41012f5fd3678f17.jpg

Great looking plate Steve. I'd especially like to dig into those bacon Collards.

I have a chuck pot roast in my trusty Nesco roaster. My lunch bunch friends were raving about a Peperoncini pot roast and it's smelling great. Nothing to it really, just a packet of dry Ranch dressing, 1/2 cup strong beef stock, 1/2 cup sliced peperoncini and a stick of butter.

I have one quite large poblano left in the fridge, so I am going to blister and skin it, stuff it with a rice, whipped cream-cheese, and shredded cheddar mixture, dip it in a beer batter, and deep fry it -- AKA, a chili relleno.

I guess I could have just said I'm making a chili relleno. :ermm:

CD

Great looking plate Steve. I'd especially like to dig into those bacon Collards.

I have a chuck pot roast in my trusty Nesco roaster. My lunch bunch friends were raving about a Peperoncini pot roast and it's smelling great. Nothing to it really, just a packet of dry Ranch dressing, 1/2 cup strong beef stock, 1/2 cup sliced peperoncini and a stick of butter.

This is part of what draws me to DC.. An idea.. A different way to prepare something I enjoy.. There is a Peperoncini pot roast in our future... :yum:

I didn't feel like cooking today, so dinner was just a pickin's plate. Had the last of the roasted red bell pepper hummus, a couple of different kinds of olives, salted radishes, sliced avocado, cherry tomatoes, smoked gouda, and a handful of whole wheat crackers for some salty crunch. Used up a lot of leftovers and cleared some room in the fridge, thank goodness.

Iced tea with lemon to wash it all down, and will probably have a bowl of chocolate peanut butter ice cream later on.

My chili relleno was somewhat disappointing. The stuffing was good, and the batter was good, and I cooked it well... but the poblano I used was tough, weak in flavor, and had no heat whatsoever.

Peppers can be a roll of the dice. Even the ones I grow myself. My early season jalepeños tend to be very mild, but I've harvested some in October that nearly blew the top off of my head off.

Oh well, you win some and you lose some.

CD

This is part of what draws me to DC.. An idea.. A different way to prepare something I enjoy.. There is a Peperoncini pot roast in our future... :yum:

I'm glad you liked the sound of it too Ross. It turned out uniquely flavorful and super easy. I served it with mashed potato with the simple pan juices, and steamed broccolini.
I really like Peperoncini, and I may use a little more next time.

My chili relleno was somewhat disappointing. The stuffing was good, and the batter was good, and I cooked it well... but the poblano I used was tough, weak in flavor, and had no heat whatsoever.

Peppers can be a roll of the dice. Even the ones I grow myself. My early season jalepeños tend to be very mild, but I've harvested some in October that nearly blew the top off of my head off.

Oh well, you win some and you lose some.

CD

Casey, if you love chiles rellenos and would possibly be interested in a casserole version, you might like this thread. :yum:
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/goooood-chili-relleno-casserole-74641.html

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom