Dinner Plans - Wednesday June 29th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
I have the pork roast I didn't use Monday for company so I am about to put it in the slow cooker with.....a can of root beer! Yup, that's right! I had this at a potluck recently and the meat is actually incredible - nice taste and pulls easily.

It will become enchilada meat. I am even making the corn tortillas from scratch with a traditional press I am borrowing from a friend. If it works I will buy one from her because it is a change up from gluten free bread for DH.

What are you planning?

Sound delicious! We make pork, lamb and beef roast with coke to get the meat really soft, rootbeer must do the same.
I made chilli con carne tonight, plain and simple with some steamed rice :)

Tomorrow is shopping for the weekend and most of my fresh veggies are gone. Have a bag of wings in the freezer so may pull those out. Corn pudding sounds good since I don't have fresh.

LP--Don't forget to use waxed paper between the dough and the press. Also, let the dough rest at least 20-30 minutes (I form it into balls and put those in the fridge, that way, I can press and go start tossing them on the griddle). Love my press--so much easier than using two pieces of 18 gauge stainless...and better than the KrumKake iron. I tried many ways to make corn tortillas before I picked up my press.

I sometimes add a bit of chilpolte chili powder and some lime zest to the flour before adding the liquid (and I've added fresh lime juice to the liquid) (I usually do this if I'm going to make homemade corn tortilla chips). Sounds fun! The first couple are usually the test ones for me.

In Northern MN, we used to be able to get wild rice flour...that is gluten free. A quick search, you can get it from http://www.wildfoods.ca/ if you haven't tried it. It makes a great bread and pancakes. (Wild rice blueberry pancakes...haven't thought of those in years--wild rice flour is on my list to buy in MN).

Last edited:
LP--Don't forget to use waxed paper between the dough and the press. Also, let the dough rest at least 20-30 minutes (I form it into balls and put those in the fridge, that way, I can press and go start tossing them on the griddle). Love my press--so much easier than using two pieces of 18 gauge stainless...
Thanks, CWS, I really appreciate the advice. I have to say with all my cooking experience, one thing I have never made from scratch is tortillas! I wasn't sure what I was doing but this helps a lot!

I have really been in the mood for beef stew lately, but I don't have any stew beef or roast (it is usually cheaper to cut a roast up than to buy stew beef). James brought home some thin top round steaks yesterday, so I think I will cut them into thick strips and improvise with that. :cool:

Thanks, CWS, I really appreciate the advice. I have to say with all my cooking experience, one thing I have never made from scratch is tortillas! I wasn't sure what I was doing but this helps a lot!
Don't even try it with cornmeal--if you don't have Masa Harina, cornmeal is not the same. Nor is cornflour. I've tried substituting those for the Masa Harina but had no luck. The tortillas were a crumbly mess. I haul bags of Masa back from MN because I haven't seen it in my area--mind you, I live rural and don't have many occasions to go to the "City." But my friend who is the former pastry chef has looked for it in the City and hasn't found it. Mexican food is not terribly popular here and the ingredients are limited to Old El Paso for the most part.

The rib eye that I didn't make yesterday along with parsley new potatoes, grilled and stuffed zucchini and some fresh green beans with mushrooms.

Hmmm, I haven't had hot dogs for a while...
I think I'll pick some up when I go to the store for my Tostitos.

Sausage patty topped with mushrooms and swiss; yellow crook neck sauteed with shallots and spicey red curry; sliced cucumber, halved cherry tomatoes, and diced avocado marinated in cider vinegar, dill and black pepper; fresh berries with cottage cheese.

My friend brought over 3 nice looking steaks. I cut up one and made a small beef stew using the thyme stock, I cooked up one steak for myself and I'll cook his up shortly. I'll go ahead and have his cooked and he can reheat it in the microwave since he prefers well done.

For dinner, we split a rib eye and I made stuffed zucchini boats, parsley potatoes and green beans with mushrooms.

Attachments

• dinner0629-2011.jpg
    dinner0629-2011.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 206
A ham, turkey, and swiss sub from Walmart. Surprisingly good and fresh, cheap and huge! Will do DH and me for a couple of meals. You have to add your own condiments (ours were yellow mustard, mayo, and banana peppers). Bigger and cheaper than Subway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom