"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
Certified Cake Maniac

Dinner Plans - Wednesday June 29th

I have the pork roast I didn't use Monday for company so I am about to put it in the slow cooker with.....a can of root beer! Yup, that's right! I had this at a potluck recently and the meat is actually incredible - nice taste and pulls easily.

It will become enchilada meat. I am even making the corn tortillas from scratch with a traditional press I am borrowing from a friend. If it works I will buy one from her because it is a change up from gluten free bread for DH.

What are you planning?

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
Master Chef

Sound delicious! We make pork, lamb and beef roast with coke to get the meat really soft, rootbeer must do the same.
I made chilli con carne tonight, plain and simple with some steamed rice :)

Old 06-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
Master Chef

Tomorrow is shopping for the weekend and most of my fresh veggies are gone. Have a bag of wings in the freezer so may pull those out. Corn pudding sounds good since I don't have fresh.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

LP--Don't forget to use waxed paper between the dough and the press. Also, let the dough rest at least 20-30 minutes (I form it into balls and put those in the fridge, that way, I can press and go start tossing them on the griddle). Love my press--so much easier than using two pieces of 18 gauge stainless...and better than the KrumKake iron. I tried many ways to make corn tortillas before I picked up my press.

I sometimes add a bit of chilpolte chili powder and some lime zest to the flour before adding the liquid (and I've added fresh lime juice to the liquid) (I usually do this if I'm going to make homemade corn tortilla chips). Sounds fun! The first couple are usually the test ones for me.

In Northern MN, we used to be able to get wild rice flour...that is gluten free. A quick search, you can get it from http://www.wildfoods.ca/ if you haven't tried it. It makes a great bread and pancakes. (Wild rice blueberry pancakes...haven't thought of those in years--wild rice flour is on my list to buy in MN).
Old 06-29-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
LP--Don't forget to use waxed paper between the dough and the press. Also, let the dough rest at least 20-30 minutes (I form it into balls and put those in the fridge, that way, I can press and go start tossing them on the griddle). Love my press--so much easier than using two pieces of 18 gauge stainless...
Thanks, CWS, I really appreciate the advice. I have to say with all my cooking experience, one thing I have never made from scratch is tortillas! I wasn't sure what I was doing but this helps a lot!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I have really been in the mood for beef stew lately, but I don't have any stew beef or roast (it is usually cheaper to cut a roast up than to buy stew beef). James brought home some thin top round steaks yesterday, so I think I will cut them into thick strips and improvise with that.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I am going to portion and pound out some pork tenderloin for the grill and serve it on some homemade focaccia with some mango salsa. That is the plan right now, anyway.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Nachos.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Thanks, CWS, I really appreciate the advice. I have to say with all my cooking experience, one thing I have never made from scratch is tortillas! I wasn't sure what I was doing but this helps a lot!
Don't even try it with cornmeal--if you don't have Masa Harina, cornmeal is not the same. Nor is cornflour. I've tried substituting those for the Masa Harina but had no luck. The tortillas were a crumbly mess. I haul bags of Masa back from MN because I haven't seen it in my area--mind you, I live rural and don't have many occasions to go to the "City." But my friend who is the former pastry chef has looked for it in the City and hasn't found it. Mexican food is not terribly popular here and the ingredients are limited to Old El Paso for the most part.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #10
Head Chef

The rib eye that I didn't make yesterday along with parsley new potatoes, grilled and stuffed zucchini and some fresh green beans with mushrooms.

Tags
dinner