"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-30-2006, 04:43 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon90
I'll probably have eggs with spinach and mushrooms. I think I'll make either peanut butter chip chocolate cookies or maybe apple gallettes today. I'd like the cookies but dh would be sooo happy for gallettes.
What are gallettes?

Old 12-30-2006, 04:44 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I feel like having something light for dinner, so I'm making a salmon filet and a salad on the side, and fish and chips for my husband.
I knew reading this today, I'd get an idea.
I like the salmon idea so I'll do that too.
It's just me tonight, the man of my dreams is in Vegas getting the boat outta Mead. I'm alone and can have anything I want. It's going to be salmon patties for me with a light sauce using orange juice for most of the flavor, added to FF mayo, {I broke down and bought a small jar, adding it to the 31 jars of regular mayo I have in the kitchen store} some dijon 'tard and lots of garlic and onions. Blending well gives a rich and creamy sauce sans the fat. I'll have the worlds biggest salad with that, all the things you can think of and then some. A baked yam and I'm set. Of course lot's of ''nector of the Gods''.................H20....

Old 12-30-2006, 06:42 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i'm almost done working a double today, so i'm gonna head home and throw the london broil that i was supposed to make last night. it's been sitting in a salty herb rub in the fridge for 2 days. i wonder how the salt will affect the meat?

anyway, no rest for the wicked nor weary, i have to be back in by 11pm tonight.
If I don't watch any television tonight, can you stay home??
Old 12-30-2006, 07:13 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Cuillo
What are gallettes?
See here
TNT Apple Frangipane Galette
there are photos too.

I made the cookies, they are baking now. yum. Made the dough for the galettes and will bake those tomorrow, when dh is home.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:55 PM   #25
Sous Chef

I had turkey soup w/diced carrots, celery, onions, leeks, and mini shell pasta..great on a cold winters' nite!

appletart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:39 PM   #26
Head Chef

I thawed out some chicken and rice soup tonight.
It's not cold here in Md at all, but a little comfort food felt pretty good after all of the holiday meals that we've had.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:22 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
If I don't watch any television tonight, can you stay home??
lol vb. i'm responsible for the cbs and the new cw networks, so just don't watch channels 2 or 11, in the metro ny area.

thanks for the offer, though.

oh, my london broil was deeeelicious tonight. i made a rub of lawry's seasoned salt, onion powder, dried oregano and basil, and cracked black pepper. first i rubbed in a splash or two of worcestershire, then applied the rub. i broiled it in the middle rack for 7 minutes on each side, then drizzled the top side with evoo, moved it to the top rack of the broiler for a minute more, and repeated this on the other side for one more minute.

i broiled some 1" thick slices of onions that were tossed in evoo and the rub along side the meat, turning accordingly.

the meat was perfectly medium rare, juicy, tender, and the salty rub made it so much better than just a plain ol' london broil. and i love grilled or broiled onions.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:11 AM   #28
Head Chef

I've been thinking about that little smokey recipe using bacon & brown sugar to crisp.
I've got this ham. Not leftover; just unexpected gift. Spiral ham, if I didn't mention that. Comes with a brown sugar glaze packet that smells like raisins.

I took several slices of the ham and sprinkled the brown sugar glaze over them and then broiled. It was so good, it tasted more like a jerky. I'm not going to have to deal with this ham much longer everybody wanted seconds.
(this was a snack with orange juice)
Old 12-31-2006, 06:31 AM   #29
Master Chef

I made a crying tiger salad and Thai green curry soup.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:09 AM   #30
Senior Cook

Hi Barb,

It's not a recipe, but I'll private message you with the approximates.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L.
Your meatloaf sounds awesome - could you post your recipe? Love meatloaf ! Barb L.