"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
Mini, how about Shepards Pie with your mince? Just a thought, I love it...
would u please e-mail your recipe for shepards pie. my son had it in new orleans . and can't stop raving about it. found several on line but they don't sound like what he describes.

babe

Old 05-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #12
Head Chef

They look great PDS, I'm sure Nick would LOVE it! He's making a real greek salad this week too so that should go great.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:40 PM   #13
Executive Chef

It's DERBY DAY!!!!!!

I'm not such a huge fan of horse racing as I am a fan of any opportunity to overdress. So, while in my finest summer wear, complete with heels and large hat we'll be starting the evening by watching the Kentucky derby drinking mint juleps. Ah, the juleps......

First course is a salad with spicy sausage croquettes and bleu cheese vinaigrette.

Dinner is smothered pork chops with collard greens and mashed sweet potatoes.

Dessert is a butterscotch meringue pie.

I think I'll make a batch of corn bread, as well. Lou is out looking for julep cups (perish the thought, I don't have real julep cups) so I'm not sure which wine we'll be having for dinner. He's the resident wine picker.

.......and.......the horses are on the track......
Old 05-03-2008, 02:52 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
would u please e-mail your recipe for shepards pie. my son had it in new orleans . and can't stop raving about it. found several on line but they don't sound like what he describes.

babe
Can you descrieb it a little more babe. Shepherds Pie is one of those dishes that varies according to who is making it. The heart of the dish is minced lamb traditionally (ground meat), but I usually use minced beef. Again it depends but this can be leftovers with the Sunday roast - I use fresh meat.

Make a base mix with onions, garlic, mixed herbs and minced beef cooked together. The classic mix also includes chopped carrots. You can add anything else you want, I often add chopped peppers, sweetcorn, baked beans, tinned chopped tomatoes.
When this is all cooked together and seasoned, put into a oven proof dish and top with mashed potatoes. To make a little more interesting mix a teaspoon of dried mixed herbs and some grated cheddar cheese into the mash.
Use a fork to smooth the top of the mashed potato and bake in an oven (about gas 5/190C) until top is golden.

BTW with spicy beef hash with rice made by DW, I'm feeling under the weather.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:01 PM   #15
Head Chef

Well the original plan was a roast with baby zucchini and sweet potatoes but I had lunch at a Mexican restaurant which leaves me not very hungry. My husband will have leftover sauce with pasta and I guess I may nibble on the leftover Chinese food. I did get fresh bread today and a lemon cake.

Vera,

Where do you come up with all these great recipes? Are they your own? I pale in comparison.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:38 PM   #16
Head Chef

we just got home from a baby's first birthday party and we stopped at the neighbor's derby party. I think I'll make a baked ziti for dinner tonight. Its overcast and stormy here. All of the dinner ideas posted sound GOOD- yum.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:16 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I think the ribs are going to have to wait until tomorrow.
I waaay overate a 2:30 lunch of hot meatloaf sandwich and french fries topped with a mushroom and onion gravy. I don't think I'll be hungry enough to appreciate the ribs even 3 hours from now.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:16 PM   #18
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Fried chicken, cole slaw, potato salad, and I'll make myself a green salad. For dessert I tried another on those cookie-from-a-cakemix recipes. Duncan Hines Spice cake with Hershey's cinnamon chips. They SMELL wonderful. I'll let you all know how they taste!
Old 05-03-2008, 07:25 PM   #19
Master Chef

We had spaghetti and salads. I did get creative and added sauteed peppers,onion and garlic to the usual sauce and boiled some eggs, diced some pickled beets and tomatoes and drained some chickpeas to add to the salad.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Fried chicken, cole slaw, potato salad, and I'll make myself a green salad. For dessert I tried another on those cookie-from-a-cakemix recipes. Duncan Hines Spice cake with Hershey's cinnamon chips. They SMELL wonderful. I'll let you all know how they taste!
man does that sound good. kudos on a new combo for cookies. i bet they do smell good. that is one will try. didn't see cinnamon chips but will look at another store.

babe can anyone tell me what this smiliey means?