Dinner, Saturday, 08/12?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SierraCook

Master Chef
My mom makes a great crockpot lasagna, so I got the recipe from her and bought the ingredients yesterday. It takes about 6-8 hours to cook on low heat. Too little time to make during a work day. But I thought that at least making it on the weekends I don't have to use the oven and heat up the house. With the lasagna I am deciding whether to have asparagus or more zucchini. I love zucchini, but I had that last night. I also have an avocado to slice up and add to a green salad.

What are you cooking for dinner tonight?

We had Chicken Parmesan on spaghetti, asparagus, romaine salad and garlic bread.

Last edited:
Hm... I had a turkey frank on a piece of bread, two bottles of beer and a little handi-snack chocolate pudding cup. :LOL:

Meatloaf and a green salad with cantaloupe/green grapes for dessert, and a fudgesicle.

Its 2.30 pm here in NZ but Ive just had my dinner!:) Some Thai flavoured mussel fritters, two dozen Coromandel oysters, brown bread and butter. I am not sure about these oysters, they are huge, plump, but lack the flavour of my precious out of season Bluffs. Oh well... Maybe a snack later tonight will be some choc fudge icecream since it seems to be popular today.:chef: Plus...I have some in my freezer too:cool:

We had the Texas Hold Um's mini burgers and homemade catsup like Rachael Ray made on her show this morning. They were delicious. Made 1/2 with ground turkey and 1/2 with ground beef. The recipe is on the food network web site. Also had some nice home grown heirloom tomatoes.

After a magnificent day at Belmar (water clear as glass and a lovely 73 degrees) Lou and I got into the kitchen about 6:30. We planned on having mojitos but I only had one lime....so we opted for Bourbon sidecars, instead.

Sipping those, we started the evening with a salad of grilled endive with roasted sweet potatos and roasted beets. That was topped with bleu cheese and candied walnuts.

For dinner we had a grilled rack of baby lamb chops, (frenched) and roasted corn with a garlic/mint butter.

Dessert was an 'icebox' cake. It's something we've all had, I'm sure, and the recipe is three simple ingredients: chocolate pudding, whipped cream and graham crackers...layered and layered and layered.

man, i haven't been to belmar in years. we're point pleasant or i.b.s.p. people. sandy hook for quickie trips, and dinner at moby's by the bridge.
is ocean grave still full of creepy, zombie like people?

saturday night, i made a version of a lidia dish again, called galleto glassato (i think it was called "galleto". i can't find a translation. help urmaniac or rdg!!!!).
it's an herb stuffed, balsamic vinegar and honey basted roast chicken.
i've made it twice now, and it's a keeper.

pretty simply, i took a 7 1/2 lb. bird, thoroughly washed inside and out, patted dry, and heavily s&p'd inside and out with sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper and sweet paprika.

next, i stuffed the boid with a 5" sprig of rosemary, seven or eight 5" sprigs of thyme, 4 sage leaves, and a lime cut in half.

it was roasted at 400 for 30 minutes on a raised rack in a pan, then another hour and a half at 350.

next, i mixed 4 tbsps of honey, and 4 tbsps of balsamic vinegar into 2 cups of light and fat free chicken stock, stirring to dissolve the honey.
the chicken was basted with this every 10 minutes until it was done, about another 45 minutes. i added a little water to the pan towards the end to help suck up the liquid for re-basting.

using the honey and balsamic, the skin attains an amazing mahogany hue, and becomes crisp and incredibly tasty.

i guess i should re-post this recipe under the chicken thread as "pollo glassato", or glazed chicken. it's worth the try.

Last edited:
buckytom said:
man, i haven't been to belmar in years. we're point pleasant or i.b.s.p. people. sandy hook for quickie trips, and dinner at moby's by the bridge.
is ocean grave still full of creepy, zombie like people?

saturday night, i made a version of a lidia dish again, called gaeto glassato (i think it was called "gaeto". i can't find a translation. help urmaniac or rdg!!!!).
it's an herb stuffed, balsamic vinegar and honey basted roast chicken.
i've made it twice now, and it's a keeper.

pretty simply, i took a 7 1/2 lb. bird, thoroughly washed inside and out, patted dry, and heavily s&p'd inside and out with sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper and sweet paprika.

next, i stuffed the boid with a 5" sprig of rosemary, seven or eight 5" sprigs of thyme, 4 sage leaves, and a lime cut in half.

it was roasted at 400 for 30 minutes on a raised rack in a pan, then another hour and a half at 350.

next, i mixed 4 tbsps of honey, and 4 tbsps of balsamic vinegar into 2 cups of light and fat free chicken stock, stirring to dissolve the honey.
the chicken was basted with this every 10 minutes until it was done, about another 45 minutes. i added a little water to the pan towards the end to help suck up the liquid for re-basting.

using the honey and balsamic, the skin attains an amazing mahogany hue, and becomes crisp and incredibly tasty.

i guess i should re-post this recipe under the chicken thread as "pollo glassato", or glazed chicken. it's worth the try.

I want that.

I don't recall every actually being in Ocean Grove. I'm leaving for Ocean City tomorrow morning at 5am. I've got to be at Brown's for donuts by 7:30. I must insist.

Back
Top Bottom