"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-12-2006, 10:27 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Its 2.30 pm here in NZ but Ive just had my dinner! Some Thai flavoured mussel fritters, two dozen Coromandel oysters, brown bread and butter. I am not sure about these oysters, they are huge, plump, but lack the flavour of my precious out of season Bluffs. Oh well... Maybe a snack later tonight will be some choc fudge icecream since it seems to be popular today. Plus...I have some in my freezer too

Old 08-13-2006, 03:40 AM   #12
Senior Cook

We had the Texas Hold Um's mini burgers and homemade catsup like Rachael Ray made on her show this morning. They were delicious. Made 1/2 with ground turkey and 1/2 with ground beef. The recipe is on the food network web site. Also had some nice home grown heirloom tomatoes.

Old 08-13-2006, 05:37 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I marinated some flank steak, then grilled it. We sliced it up and threw it in a tortilla with guac, cilantro, lettuce & cheese. Tasty. For dessert, choc chip oatmeal cookies.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:20 PM   #14
Executive Chef

After a magnificent day at Belmar (water clear as glass and a lovely 73 degrees) Lou and I got into the kitchen about 6:30. We planned on having mojitos but I only had one lime....so we opted for Bourbon sidecars, instead.

Sipping those, we started the evening with a salad of grilled endive with roasted sweet potatos and roasted beets. That was topped with bleu cheese and candied walnuts.

For dinner we had a grilled rack of baby lamb chops, (frenched) and roasted corn with a garlic/mint butter.

Dessert was an 'icebox' cake. It's something we've all had, I'm sure, and the recipe is three simple ingredients: chocolate pudding, whipped cream and graham crackers...layered and layered and layered.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:35 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

man, i haven't been to belmar in years. we're point pleasant or i.b.s.p. people. sandy hook for quickie trips, and dinner at moby's by the bridge.
is ocean grave still full of creepy, zombie like people?

saturday night, i made a version of a lidia dish again, called galleto glassato (i think it was called "galleto". i can't find a translation. help urmaniac or rdg!!!!).
it's an herb stuffed, balsamic vinegar and honey basted roast chicken.
i've made it twice now, and it's a keeper.

pretty simply, i took a 7 1/2 lb. bird, thoroughly washed inside and out, patted dry, and heavily s&p'd inside and out with sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper and sweet paprika.

next, i stuffed the boid with a 5" sprig of rosemary, seven or eight 5" sprigs of thyme, 4 sage leaves, and a lime cut in half.

it was roasted at 400 for 30 minutes on a raised rack in a pan, then another hour and a half at 350.

next, i mixed 4 tbsps of honey, and 4 tbsps of balsamic vinegar into 2 cups of light and fat free chicken stock, stirring to dissolve the honey.
the chicken was basted with this every 10 minutes until it was done, about another 45 minutes. i added a little water to the pan towards the end to help suck up the liquid for re-basting.

using the honey and balsamic, the skin attains an amazing mahogany hue, and becomes crisp and incredibly tasty.

i guess i should re-post this recipe under the chicken thread as "pollo glassato", or glazed chicken. it's worth the try.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:15 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
man, i haven't been to belmar in years. we're point pleasant or i.b.s.p. people. sandy hook for quickie trips, and dinner at moby's by the bridge.
is ocean grave still full of creepy, zombie like people?

saturday night, i made a version of a lidia dish again, called gaeto glassato (i think it was called "gaeto". i can't find a translation. help urmaniac or rdg!!!!).
it's an herb stuffed, balsamic vinegar and honey basted roast chicken.
i've made it twice now, and it's a keeper.

pretty simply, i took a 7 1/2 lb. bird, thoroughly washed inside and out, patted dry, and heavily s&p'd inside and out with sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper and sweet paprika.

next, i stuffed the boid with a 5" sprig of rosemary, seven or eight 5" sprigs of thyme, 4 sage leaves, and a lime cut in half.

it was roasted at 400 for 30 minutes on a raised rack in a pan, then another hour and a half at 350.

next, i mixed 4 tbsps of honey, and 4 tbsps of balsamic vinegar into 2 cups of light and fat free chicken stock, stirring to dissolve the honey.
the chicken was basted with this every 10 minutes until it was done, about another 45 minutes. i added a little water to the pan towards the end to help suck up the liquid for re-basting.

using the honey and balsamic, the skin attains an amazing mahogany hue, and becomes crisp and incredibly tasty.

i guess i should re-post this recipe under the chicken thread as "pollo glassato", or glazed chicken. it's worth the try.
I want that.

I don't recall every actually being in Ocean Grove. I'm leaving for Ocean City tomorrow morning at 5am. I've got to be at Brown's for donuts by 7:30. I must insist.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:55 PM   #17
Senior Cook

SierraCook -- I used a frozen coconut shrimp....
It was fast and easy night!
Old 08-14-2006, 08:28 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

2 margaritas, half a bottle of wine some Glouchester and saltine crackers