Dinner Saturday 11th May 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Picked up some nice looking (and nice smelling) swordfish at the market today. So I'll grill that and we'll have some arroz amarillo along with it.

Hot diggity,dog ziggity boom, watcha do to me! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Does anyone remember Perry Como?

It's so new to me... :rolleyes:

I took some soup out of the freezer last night, so maybe that along with some garlic bread... or a BLT :angel:

Have a huge spiral cut ham in the fridge that DH got as a perk from work, gotta do something with it as it takes up so much space.

I'd wanted to grill something, but the wind is so strong, not a good idea.

(love Perry Como BTW)

going out on the town tonight (pop. <6,000:blush:) ...out to eat to a yet undecided location with sis, BIL and friends, then to a community chorus concert, then to a local bar with live bluegrass music...need to drink more coffee right now...all within walking distance of home/apt.;)

yes, I remember Perry Como:ermm:

going out on the town tonight (pop. <6,001:blush:) ...

Don't you mean... :D

The soup is still frozen solid. Tomorrow will be another soup day as this cold spell moves through (I hope it's moving), so I'm going to make some loaded Bush's beans. That will give me a good platform to use up some hot dogs and miscellaneous bacon trimmings.

We are having something called "Sushi Kushi with spicy raw tuna and skewered grilled shrimp". This is from one of Norman Van Akens books. You start out making an infused oil with szechuan peppercorns, black peppercorns, cayenne and dried Thai chilis. The marinade for the shrimp uses some of the oil along with a whole habanero chili seeded and finely diced.:ohmy: I'll let you know how we survived, err um how it tasted!:yum: Yah thats it, how it tasted.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hot diggity,dog ziggity boom, watcha do to me! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Does anyone remember Perry Como?

I do! I do! Mom and I would watch his Christmas special every year. Loved his "Ave Maria". :angel: I think I might still have "I Believe" on an old 45 in the basement.

Heard this story once from my Aunt the Nun (so it must be true ;) ): Once a year Perry's wife would shoo him out of the house for the day, made him spend it golfing with buddies (not exactly punishment since he loved to golf), because she would invite the nun's from a nearby convent to relax and swim in the Como's pool all day. Poor guy couldn't come back home until the good sisters left. :LOL:

Back then it was verboten for a sister to be seen out of her habit. Until the convents simplified the veil-and-wimple headgear I thought my Aunt was bald! :LOL:

Picked up some nice looking (and nice smelling) swordfish at the market today. So I'll grill that and we'll have some arroz amarillo along with it.

Seems like it rains every time you post "I'm grilling". You can stop now. :LOL:

I'm making a ginormous salad. Then Himself is on his own. I have a fine selection of quality lunch meats, some grilled chicken breast, an array of cheese choices, and a couple kinds of hearty breads. The Cuisinart Griddler will be on the counter - he can make any kind of panina he wants! I still have cleaning to do and a baseball game to listen to while I do it.

It's been sprinkling here too. The grill is on the deck, right outside the door. As long as it's a light rain, I'll still go out.

36788-albums799-picture5494.jpg

This is Craig's wife, medtran49. I don't have the other computer on where I usually post but this was EXCELLENT. I absolutely loved it. Craig didn't think it was spicy enough and added kimchee base to his tuna but everything was just spicy enough for me. The tuna was delish with just a hint of spice from Siracha. The shrimp had just a tiny bite from the habanero in the marinade (most of it was wiped off before cooking). Definitely a make again. The buttery richness of the avocado cut what spice there was so it didn't have a chance to build up and burn. Perfect for people that like a bit of spice, needs more for people that like a lot like Craig.

Once I got the cubed bacon and onions going... I changed my plans to pasta rather than beans.

Attachments

• pasta dish.jpg
    pasta dish.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 146
Don't you mean... :D

well. maybe :wacko:

or :shock:

The last place I lived, for 36 years, I was 7 miles outside of a town that also was < 6000 souls..but there is a huge difference between these two towns; my new one has over 60 restaurants, and some mighty nice ones too...and yes, it is a tourist trap but it easy to avoid them folks...

Ended up ordering a caprese salad with shrimp

In addition to the above, I also did a vidalia onion on the grill. After all, you have to have your veggies. I peeled it and cut an inch deep hole in the top. I filled the hole with bacon fat and chicken base, wrapped it in HD foil and put it on the grill for 30 minutes. Delicious!

36788-albums799-picture5494.jpg

This is Craig's wife, medtran49. I don't have the other computer on where I usually post but this was EXCELLENT. I absolutely loved it. Craig didn't think it was spicy enough and added kimchee base to his tuna but everything was just spicy enough for me. The tuna was delish with just a hint of spice from Siracha. The shrimp had just a tiny bite from the habanero in the marinade (most of it was wiped off before cooking). Definitely a make again. The buttery richness of the avocado cut what spice there was so it didn't have a chance to build up and burn. Perfect for people that like a bit of spice, needs more for people that like a lot like Craig.

i can almost taste that! nice dinner. i like the combo of spice and heat tempering avocado.

and lol, i thought lake como in italy was named after perry when i was young. hot diggity.

we had a baseball game tonight. our manager decided my boy would be the starting pitcher today even though my boy thinks more of himself as a reliever. he needs a few innings to get his head into the game.

so, i took extra time warming up my boy on the mound since he was starting while the rest of the team went through their warm up drills.

after a short soft toss increasing the heat, he then started firing bbs from the mound. 46 feet, right down broadway.

and just then, of course, lightning and thunderstorms moved in, and the game was cancelled.

it was good for his confidence for monday's game, but it's different with a kid in the box, looking to spoil your day.

so, on the way home we picked up takeout italian. we shared garlic knots, baked clams, fresh calamari on a garden salad,. grilled chicken on a garden salad, chicken parm, pasta, and chicken portofino (lightly floured and sauteed chicken breasts with roasted red peppers, sliced portobellas, and spinach topped with melted mozzarella in a marsala gravy).

then we did 4 hours of homework until bedtime so we have tomorrow free for dw.

what kind of teacher gives that much homework on mother's day weekend, i ask you? :neutral:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom