Dinner Saturday 1st June 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chicken breast (huge one) sliced in half lengthwise and then crossways, S&P, dredged in flour and S&P mix, sauteed in half butter/half olive oil, then microplaned 1 clove garlic, sauteed in pan for a minute (chicken stacked and pushed off to 1 side off heat, couple Tbsp of the dredge mix to make roux, some white wine and chicken broth to make a light sauce. Then, topped chicken pieces with roasted orange bell pepper (already done, from freezer), then topped with smoked fresh mozzarella slices. Under the broiler until cheese was melted and bubbly. Served with wild rice and a small arugula salad with paper-thin slices of red onion, grated parm sprinkles and balsamic vinegrette. Best of all, only used 2 pans and under 40 minutes from start of water for rice until on the plate and ready to eat.

I usually use roasted red bell for this but the first thing I found when looking thru the freezer was the bag of orange bells so those got used instead. Sometimes I'll also chiffonade some fresh basil and place on top of the bell pepper slices but under the smoked moz for a change-up.

BTW, since we ate pretty early, Craig ended up using his second piece of chicken to make a sandwich with the leftover buns from burgers the night before. So, it makes a pretty good sandwich besides being a dish that can be served for dinner guests.

Last edited:
HaHaHa! No, silly, they were bowls of the ubiquitous salad. Mom used to make split pea and ham soup when I was a kid. Never liked it then. Sometimes in the winter I think maybe it's time I tried it again. Do you have a good recipe Andy?

If you are not a big fan of split pea soup give this a try.

1 pound package of frozen peas
2 T butter
1 small yellow onion chopped fine
2 cups water or chicken stock (1 can and a swish of water)
1/2 cup of heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a saucepan, sweat onion, add chicken stock and peas. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, season with salt and pepper. Puree until smooth, thin with cream and adjust seasoning.

This is fast inexpensive and very tasty!

I use milk or sour cream instead of heavy cream sometimes. I also use scallions if they are available.

2 T butter
1/2 cup of heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a saucepan, sweat onion, add chicken stock and peas. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, season with salt and pepper. Puree until smooth, thin with cream and adjust seasoning.

I use milk or sour cream instead of heavy cream sometimes. I also use scallions if they are available.

That sounds like the mushy peas Nigella was making the other day on TV, or at least a kissin' cousin of them. Think I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Chicken breast (huge one) sliced in half lengthwise and then crossways, S&P, dredged in flour and S&P mix, sauteed in half butter/half olive oil, then microplaned 1 clove garlic, sauteed in pan for a minute (chicken stacked and pushed off to 1 side off heat, couple Tbsp of the dredge mix to make roux, some white wine and chicken broth to make a light sauce. Then, topped chicken pieces with roasted orange bell pepper (already done, from freezer), then topped with smoked fresh mozzarella slices. Under the broiler until cheese was melted and bubbly. Served with wild rice and a small arugula salad with paper-thin slices of red onion, grated parm sprinkles and balsamic vinegrette. Best of all, only used 2 pans and under 40 minutes from start of water for rice until on the plate and ready to eat.

I usually use roasted red bell for this but the first thing I found when looking thru the freezer was the bag of orange bells so those got used instead. Sometimes I'll also chiffonade some fresh basil and place on top of the bell pepper slices but under the smoked moz for a change-up.

BTW, since we ate pretty early, Craig ended up using his second piece of chicken to make a sandwich with the leftover buns from burgers the night before. So, it makes a pretty good sandwich besides being a dish that can be served for dinner guests.

that sounds really good! :yum:

i used to make something similar from a lidia bastianich recipe, except using sliced zucchini and a sage leaf or two on each piece of chicken instead of the pepper and basil.

yum, thanks for the reminder. i'll have to make that again soon.

You're welcome and it is really good. I love smoked moz and this dish is a perfect use for it. We don't make it often enough for me.

I got my inspiration from a commercial for an Olive Garden pasta dish that they had years ago. Less starch the above way, although I have done a pasta dish, cubing instead of slicing the smoked moz, and slicing the chicken and pepper, definitely with some chiffonaded basil in the pasta dish though.

That sounds like the mushy peas Nigella was making the other day on TV, or at least a kissin' cousin of them. Think I'll give it a go. Thanks.

I usually make it a day or two after peas have appeared on the dinner menu.

It is a good way to use up the leftovers and make a quick inexpensive lunch.

2 T butter
1/2 cup of heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste

This sounds really good, AB. Thanks! I'm going to try it with Greek yogurt.

2 T butter
1/2 cup of heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste

Thanks Bea, it sounds...interesting. Not much of a pureed soup eater - I like some texture to my food. Might keep some of the peas out of the soup and blend in after I've pureed the rest. FWIW, whenever I have a recipe that calls for heavy cream I usually use half-and-half. When I first started making scones I did it by the book: heavy cream. The next batch was light cream - couldn't tell any difference in texture. Next batch was half-and-half and it was still good. I use half-and-half all the time now since it's usually in our fridge.

This sounds fabulous, thanks for sharing :)

Back
Top Bottom