Dinner Saturday 20th April 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kylie1969

Chef Extraordinaire
Tonight we are having a Jamie recipe...it is Chicken Laksa, but we are just making the chicken part of the recipe and having it with homemade fried rice

going to the 3 grandson's bowling banquet this afternoon so it will be a free for all night for supper, plenty of left overs in the fridge. Think I will probably have the rest of my ham and lentil soup.

We'll probably have the meatball subs planned for last night. Baseball ran a little long and we ended up with scrambled eggs and sausage since I really didn't want to cook last night.

It's supposed to be about 90 degrees. Don't feel like doing a whole lot of cooking. Since I have leftover grilled London Broil/Flank, it will probably be open-faced steak sandwiches on Italian bread with blue cheese & caramelized onions, cold pasta salad, & fresh fruit.

I'm heading to Cerise's house. Forgot what 90° temps feel like.

I'm going to try Robert Irvine's Potato Leek soup recipe. I've never cooked anything with leeks before, and it sounded good.

Our Butcher had one of his employees bring me over- just because some sirloin steaks, pork butts, pork shoulder I think it's a roast. It's big.

Have no idea what to do with the pork.
Left over Chinese food was the supposed plan. Guess not.:stuart:

Chef, I have some ideas for the pork. Holler if you need some.

I have a taste for some crispy chicken, so I'm making Baked Chicken Tonkatsu with an accompanying dipping sauce and white rice. I picked up some beautiful thin asparagus at the farmer's market this morning, so I'm going to make pan-roasted asparagus with garlic and oyster sauce with that. I made a strawberry tart last night, so that will be dessert. I also had a taste for yeast rolls last night, so I made the dough and will bake it off tonight.

Chef, I have some ideas for the pork. Holler if you need some.

I have a taste for some crispy chicken, so I'm making Baked Chicken Tonkatsu with an accompanying dipping sauce and white rice. I picked up some beautiful thin asparagus at the farmer's market this morning, so I'm going to make pan-roasted asparagus with garlic and oyster sauce with that. I made a strawberry tart last night, so that will be dessert. I also had a taste for yeast rolls last night, so I made the dough and will bake it off tonight.

On my way to your house...

The pork is frozen. I'll take any ideas you have to offer. Thankies.
I'm sure your ideas would be better than mine. I was going to crock pot the whole thing... Pork stumps me every time. :ohmy:

Picked up some really nice looking rib eye steaks @ Costco today. They are going on the grill tonight with a Caesar salad and some starch or other.

Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder

1 Ea Pork Shoulder
⅓ C Kosher salt
⅓ C Light Brown Sugar
TT Ground Black Pepper
2-3 Tb Flour

Cut slits 1 inch apart in the fat cap of the roast, being careful not to cut into the meat. Combine the salt and brown sugar in a bowl and rub it all over the pork shoulder and into the slits. Wrap the roast tightly in a double layer of plastic wrap, place it on rimmed baking sheet and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours.

Preheat the oven to 325º F.

Adjust an oven rack to the lowest position in the oven. Unwrap the roast and brush off any excess salt mixture. Season the roast with pepper. Place the roast onto a V-rack coated with nonstick cooking spray set in large roasting pan and add 1 quart of water to the roasting pan.

Cook the roast, basting it twice during cooking, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the roast, near but not touching any bone, registers 190º F, about 5 to 6 hours. Add water to the pan as needed to prevent its drying out.

Transfer the roast to a carving board and let it rest, loosely tented with foil, for 1 hour prior to carving.

To make a gravy, transfer the liquid in the roasting pan to a fat separator and let it stand.

Using 2-3 tablespoons of fat and an equal amount of flour, make a roux. Whisk in the defatted liquid from the roasting pan supplemented with chicken broth if necessary. Bring it to a boil and simmer for 3-4 minutes to make the gravy.

On my way to your house...

The pork is frozen. I'll take any ideas you have to offer. Thankies.
I'm sure your ideas would be better than mine. I was going to crock pot the whole thing... Pork stumps me every time. :ohmy:

If you like sauerkraut just shove that roast in the crock pot with a whole mess of the stuff. Serve with mashed potatoes. Yum!

Bone tired and had to grocery shop besides. Picked up some bratwurst and have it in the oven with sauerkraut. Getting ready to mash potatoes and gobble it up! :yum:

We had grilled NY cut steaks med. rare. Baked potatoes, steamed asparagus, green salad and a fist for me, my own version of mushroom gratin. It was all delish! There is orange "poke" cake for dessert!

image-980429004.jpg

image-2340869645.jpg

Because of various life pressures we just have not been cooking much of late. Kathleen decided we should have a nice meal at home so I pulled some chicken thighs out of the freezer for her and she cooked them.

Attachments

• 2013-04-20 20.43.16.jpg
    2013-04-20 20.43.16.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 246

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom