Dinner Saturday, 20th October

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Laura Calder's Milk Pork (Milk Pork), two sides--butternut squash and brussels sprouts, followed by gingerbread for dessert. I'm trying a recipe from 1929 for the gingerbread (didn't get it made last week because the taste tester wasn't available and I don't need to keep it in the house)!

Laura Calder's Milk Pork (Milk Pork), two sides--butternut squash and brussels sprouts, followed by gingerbread for dessert. I'm trying a recipe from 1929 for the gingerbread (didn't get it made last week because the taste tester wasn't available and I don't need to keep it in the house)!

Yum :yum:

I'm making grilled smoked pork ribs with sauerkraut and baked onions.

We're having guests for cocktails and appetizers late afternoon so probably won't eat much of a dinner.

That milk pork recipe sounds awfully Danish. ;)

I doubt you will actually need the immersion blender for the sauce. I make a pork recipe that uses a lot of cream and it curdles, as described, but mixing it well with a wooden spoon, while reducing it, has always made a smooth, thick sauce for me. I just stir and reduce until it is as thick as I want it.

If Stirling goes to Blue Lotus with friends for Chinese food (I don't go because of the soy), I'll have to figure out something.

If he is having supper at home, it will be slow roasted leg of lamb, sides to be decided.

We're going to a Barolo wine tasting at 4pm today (weird time, I know) so we'll probably eat something light before we go. I have a leftover chicken breast in the fridge, so we might just have that chopped over some salad greens.

If Stirling goes to Blue Lotus with friends for Chinese food (I don't go because of the soy), I'll have to figure out something.

If he is having supper at home, it will be slow roasted leg of lamb, sides to be decided.

OMG, slow roasted leg of lamb!!! in stirling's place, i would immediately beg off the chinese-with-friends plan....:yum::)

i just wish all life's choices were that simple!

Planning on French at my fave chateaux-like restaurant. I usually order the same - half long island roast duck w/ orange sauce (also comes w/ cherry sauce - too sweet for me), baby carrots w/ dill & au gratin potatoes. Dessert tbd - may split crepe suzettes or go for the chocolate mousse.

Thinking i will grill some burgers.. probably stuff them with cream cheese and jalapenos...

Yesterday I made 2 quarts of really rich beef stock and have used about half of it as part of a huge pot of vegetable beef soup that is simmering nicely right now. It's seasoned well with bay leaves, basil, salt and pepper and a good splosh of red wine.

It'll be a meal for sure because there are potatoes, onions, garlic, sliced fresh mushrooms, tomatoes, carrots, celery, and barley. Later, I'll add frozen corn, peas, green beans, and lima beans.

There are still plenty of the cornmeal yeast rolls from earlier this week to slather with butter or dip into the soup. We'll have iced tea to drink and malted milk cookies for dessert. It's smellin' pretty good around here.

Last edited:
That milk pork recipe sounds awfully Danish. ;)

I doubt you will actually need the immersion blender for the sauce. I make a pork recipe that uses a lot of cream and it curdles, as described, but mixing it well with a wooden spoon, while reducing it, has always made a smooth, thick sauce for me. I just stir and reduce until it is as thick as I want it.
I've made it several times. The house smells yummy while it is cooking and it is hard to stop eating it (I use about 3 sprigs of rosemary from my herb garden). I do use the immersion blender...was wondering about using buttermilk instead of milk...haven't tried it with buttermilk, yet. Supposedly it is a staple in Tuscany (I think that is what she said--I caught the recipe on her show on Canada Foodnetwork about three years ago and it has been one of my go-to recipes for preparing pork ever since...).

Stirling isn't going for Chinese, but we aren't having the lamb tonight. That'll have to be tomorrow night. It's my first try at using a slow cooker. I'm making beef stew.

Cream cheese and jalapenos, it doesn't get better than that, Q.

I know what I wanted, grilled then pressure cooked country ribs, but I know what I'm having, grilled wings. I think for a change I'll just use a straight SBR sauce on them. Nice and sloppy. I'll grill some potato wedges, too.

pacanis said:
Cream cheese and jalapenos, it doesn't get better than that, Q.

I know what I wanted, grilled then pressure cooked country ribs, but I know what I'm having, grilled wings. I think for a change I'll just use a straight SBR sauce on them. Nice and sloppy. I'll grill some potato wedges, too.

Yes sir... Our favorite burger lately..

I think we are having takeout from Popeye's chicken. DH has DD's kitchen torn apart he is installing new cupboard door and drawers. SIL has gone to pick up takeout. I have never had Popeye's......don't know what to expect :/

Back
Top Bottom