"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #11
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
We're having the brats we were supposed to have last night. We got a call just before DH got home from work from some friends asking us out to dinner. Never turn that down so the brats went back in the fridge and will get grilled tonight.

Sound like a modern version of Hansel and Gretal
__________________

__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,393
Grilled burgers. Trying out some different buns tonight.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
No idea here yet.
Just sayin'.
I do have some hamburger left over from my joes, though... grilled burger doesn't sound too bad. Maybe I'll make a hamburger club sub.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #14
Executive Chef
 
Somebunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Blaine, Washington
Posts: 2,649
Cedar plank Salmon for sure, not sure about sides though. I always think rice is a good compliment to fish, so maybe I can come up with a cold rice salad. It's quite warm here today I do declare it may be the warmest day we have had this non-summer which I have dubbed Sprall (spring/fall). I think I will do something with peaches for dessert.
__________________
If you don't like the food, have more wine!
Somebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #15
Sous Chef
 
ella/TO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 797
been invited to a neighbour/friend, and he decided the other day he wanted to make his Grandmother's Christmas turkey dinner.....so, that's our dinner for the evening....we bought a good bottle of Beaugalais (you know what I mean...lol) and I made an apple tart
__________________
ella/TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #16
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,640
I've decided to slice up a whole tri tip roast into 2" thick super steaks and grill them. I've never done this before. I'll serve this with grilled asparagus and onions.
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #17
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I've decided to slice up a whole tri tip roast into 2" thick super steaks and grill them. I've never done this before. I'll serve this with grilled asparagus and onions.
I hope that turns out for you RF. I sliced one up in 2" slices to grill and it was tough as a boot.
Yep I cut them across the grain. I concluded that tri tip needs to stay whole, and thinly sliced. Like I say, I hope you have better luck. Maybe some meat tenderizer pounded into them might work.

We're having loin lamb chops with fresh mint sauce, baked potato, steamed broccoli.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #18
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I hope that turns out for you RF. I sliced one up in 2" slices to grill and it was tough as a boot.
Yep I cut them across the grain. I concluded that tri tip needs to stay whole, and thinly sliced. Like I say, I hope you have better luck. Maybe some meat tenderizer pounded into them might work.

We're having loin lamb chops with fresh mint sauce, baked potato, steamed broccoli.
Your dinner sounds wonderful.
Well we'll see what happens to my 2" steaks. Since my wife is out of town I can experiment....lol... If they turn out tough I'll toss them across the street into the woods for the coyotes.
I've never sliced them this thick before. I've marinated 1/2" slices and grilled them before and they came out pretty good. These won't be marinated, just simple seasoning, cooked indirect on the Weber, then seared at the end.
I'll post the outcome tomorrow. :)))
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:47 PM   #19
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Your dinner sounds wonderful.
Well we'll see what happens to my 2" steaks. Since my wife is out of town I can experiment....lol... If they turn out tough I'll toss them across the street into the woods for the coyotes.
I've never sliced them this thick before. I've marinated 1/2" slices and grilled them before and they came out pretty good. These won't be marinated, just simple seasoning, cooked indirect on the Weber, then seared at the end.
I'll post the outcome tomorrow. :)))
Woo Hoo while the wife's away.......it can be a secret if they don't turn out RF !! Forget the coyotes! I made an outstanding beef stew the next day. Nice char flavor to the stew, and chewable. You could tell her it was your intention.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #20
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,640
I'll save the meat. I usually chop them down the next day and re-grill them on the cast iron griddle for asada tacos with just chopped onions and cilantro. They always turn out very good regardless of how bad the meat was the night before....lol...
__________________

__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dinner

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.