"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-24-2013, 12:44 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
It's great right out of the fridge. A lot of veggie trays here have cauliflower on them

I made LPB's mushroom gratin to go along with my dinner tonight.
Looks tasty!

Old 02-24-2013, 04:31 AM   #32
Executive Chef

I see some mighty tasty looking Saturday Night dinners. Cooked Cauli's seem best w/ toasted crumbs on top too. Seems like it was just a week ago I was going ta’ make sloppy joe sammies, that I finally got around to long about Tuesday or something. Forget why kept getting put on hold. Today continues a new round of exception. Jr. and his GF called late this afternoon. Said they are stopping by. I said cool. We can do dinner if you want; he said, we can order a pizza or something.

I said Nonsense… Luckily I am already planning breakfast mańana ( albeit incl a cuppa dark roast and a leisurely give and get at the x-word puzzle). Breakfast. It’s what’s for dinner.

Luck and luck has little to do. Already boiled potatoes, Although not very many; Grated those up for Hash-browns. Perfect. Stirred together and rolled out a batch of biscuits and set some onions to sweat for biscuits and gravy. Package of Jimmy Dean sausage, thawed, added a little sage and a pinch or two of hot pepper flakes and half the onions, as I like. Stirred a bunch of eggs for soft scramble eggs, added some onions in. Jr, too, makes scramble eggs the Right Way, not over cook, Fine grated a little jack cheese to stir in the eggs just before finish cooking. Most days I Feel Nekkid unless there is green onion tops in the house to snip on top s o’ things. Snipped some of these up.

Lots of butter and a jar of honey , and a jar of home-made sour cherry jelly to serve on the side with extra biskcuts.

I recent made both a cake and brownies. Where is these when you want. All gone. I “Carpaccio” a half dozen frozen strawberries, (Carpaccio = a new word I recent learned, apparently meaning thin sliced /shaved anything, not just raw meat and drizzled herbs.) Served the strawb’s with small dishes of chocolate ice creams for dessert. The only thing I was sweating was Dessert, sinxce nothing was made or really in the house.

Voila’. Dinner in a half hour. Ok, 90 minutes. Ok, we were talking. Ok, I didn’t set a timer. Ok, we bumped butts.. Dinner was served when it was ready. Ok, is this really what dinner is all about, nevermind the actual menu .

It’s a mad scramble. I barely had time enough to retrieve sox I use as slingshots at the little girls for play and self-defense retrieve off the end tables and chairs in the living room and Put on clothes that weren’t my all-day Saturday pajamas. Or some-such.

I know this does not sound like much. I know Jr. does not make biskuts, except whak-a- can method. After about a year, I still don’t know what his GF likes/ Likes/ is really like. They kept comparing dinner as better than some suburban place near where they live.

The funny thing, I was all set to have a bowl of soup, watch a movie, and Maybe Later, order in a pizza if I was still up late. Apparently home cooked anything trumps pizza.

PS, Jr. works out of town, in Canada and sev US cities. I don’t always know when he is in town. It is a rare time he stops by my house, more likely his mom’s, this was a treat in itself.

PPs. I know the WFD is usually a few sentences, a paragraph. I din’t mean to ramble about something so easy. More about sharing this evening.

PPPs. I felt asleep in my chair after the kids went home. Who am I kidding about watching a “late night” movie. And too late to order pizza.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Yum, mushroom gratin...been awhile...
Been a while for me, too. A simple side you can't let fall through the cracks for sure.

Thanks ladies
Old 02-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #34
Master Chef

Dinner last night was split pea soup with smoked ham.

Ok I will jump on the bandwagon. Here are 2 of my favorite ways to eat cauliflower

Breaded cauliflower (top center next to the noodles)

And Meatloaf surprise

Old 02-25-2013, 03:34 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

That looks lovely MM

Tags
dinner