Dinner Saturday 23rd February

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a trick for you to make this recipe taste great. Make the sauce, steam the cauliflower separately. Steam some rice and serve the sauce over the rice. Discard the cauliflower.

:LOL: Bet this recipe works with Brussels sprouts too.

I'm thinking we may have chicken with something. Not Brussels sprouts.

Last edited:
i like cauliflower, raw, pickled, or hot, but not cooked then cold. i really don't like the way it smells when cooking, and especially a few hours later. i've made the mistake of giving my birds some leftover cooked cauliflower and didn't take it out of theior cages until the next morning. peeeee-U!

our dinner tonight was thanks to my boy. after signing him up for little league baseball today (and myself to be a coach again :)), he mentioned to dw that he had a craving for escargot, lol. i don't know of too many 8 year olds that would crave it, let alone even try it, so we obliged.

we went to a favourite little italian place for their 4 course, $14 early bird special: Giovanni's Restaurant - Home this is one of those italian american joints that puts lots of garlic in just about everything. fortunately, they do it well.

we all started with the escargot fra diavolo (garlic) :yum, then had house salads with lemon pepper and garlic dressing.

dw had the potato and garlic crusted sole, roasted spuds and veggies. my boy had chicken parm and pasta, and i had veal pizzaola and pasta, all with a garlic-y tomato sauce.

desserts were chocolate cake, carrot cake, vanilla ice cream, and coffee. decaf for the little man.

and no garlic. :)

We may well go hungry tonight. We were supposed to meet friends at 7:30 for dinner and then enjoy listening to their neice-in-law sing. The singing got cancelled at about 4:30 along with the dinner plans :(. I haven't a clue what we might scrounge up, we had a light late lunch anticipating the 7:30+ dinner. DH just ate a 1/4 bag of tortilla chips, so far I am having a beer. Bon Apetite!

I have never eaten cold cauli before

It's great right out of the fridge. A lot of veggie trays here have cauliflower on them :yum:

I made LPB's mushroom gratin to go along with my dinner tonight.

Attachments

• Mushroom Gratin.jpg
    Mushroom Gratin.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 154
Went for Mexican food tonight. Took the lady who owns the place some chicken and sausage gumbo. She was happy to get gumbo and I was happy with good mexican food.

It's great right out of the fridge. A lot of veggie trays here have cauliflower on them :yum:

I made LPB's mushroom gratin to go along with my dinner tonight.

Nice, Pac!

I made sauteed chunked chicken breast with wild rice and Hen of the Woods mushrooms. DH loved it, and I thought it was pretty good too!

I see some mighty tasty looking Saturday Night dinners. Cooked Cauli's seem best w/ toasted crumbs on top too. Seems like it was just a week ago I was going ta’ make sloppy joe sammies, that I finally got around to long about Tuesday or something. Forget why kept getting put on hold. Today continues a new round of exception. Jr. and his GF called late this afternoon. Said they are stopping by. I said cool. We can do dinner if you want; he said, we can order a pizza or something.

I said Nonsense… Luckily I am already planning breakfast mañana ( albeit incl a cuppa dark roast and a leisurely give and get at the x-word puzzle). Breakfast. It’s what’s for dinner.

Luck and luck has little to do. Already boiled potatoes, Although not very many; Grated those up for Hash-browns. Perfect. Stirred together and rolled out a batch of biscuits and set some onions to sweat for biscuits and gravy. Package of Jimmy Dean sausage, thawed, added a little sage and a pinch or two of hot pepper flakes and half the onions, as I like. Stirred a bunch of eggs for soft scramble eggs, added some onions in. Jr, too, makes scramble eggs the Right Way, not over cook, Fine grated a little jack cheese to stir in the eggs just before finish cooking. Most days I Feel Nekkid unless there is green onion tops in the house to snip on top s o’ things. Snipped some of these up.

Lots of butter and a jar of honey , and a jar of home-made sour cherry jelly to serve on the side with extra biskcuts.

I recent made both a cake and brownies. Where is these when you want. All gone. I “Carpaccio” a half dozen frozen strawberries, (Carpaccio = a new word I recent learned, apparently meaning thin sliced /shaved anything, not just raw meat and drizzled herbs.) Served the strawb’s with small dishes of chocolate ice creams for dessert. The only thing I was sweating was Dessert, sinxce nothing was made or really in the house.

Voila’. Dinner in a half hour. Ok, 90 minutes. Ok, we were talking. Ok, I didn’t set a timer. Ok, we bumped butts.. Dinner was served when it was ready. Ok, is this really what dinner is all about, nevermind the actual menu .

It’s a mad scramble. I barely had time enough to retrieve sox I use as slingshots at the little girls for play and self-defense retrieve off the end tables and chairs in the living room and Put on clothes that weren’t my all-day Saturday pajamas. Or some-such.

I know this does not sound like much. I know Jr. does not make biskuts, except whak-a- can method. After about a year, I still don’t know what his GF likes/ Likes/ is really like. They kept comparing dinner as better than some suburban place near where they live.

The funny thing, I was all set to have a bowl of soup, watch a movie, and Maybe Later, order in a pizza if I was still up late. Apparently home cooked anything trumps pizza.

PS, Jr. works out of town, in Canada and sev US cities. I don’t always know when he is in town. It is a rare time he stops by my house, more likely his mom’s, this was a treat in itself.

PPs. I know the WFD is usually a few sentences, a paragraph. I din’t mean to ramble about something so easy. More about sharing this evening.

PPPs. I felt asleep in my chair after the kids went home. Who am I kidding about watching a “late night” movie. And too late to order pizza.

Last edited:
Dinner last night was split pea soup with smoked ham.

Ok I will jump on the bandwagon. Here are 2 of my favorite ways to eat cauliflower

Breaded cauliflower (top center next to the noodles)

img_1242440_0_3ee9f18dd63a3a830933fe64bff3bd67.jpg

And Meatloaf surprise

img_1242440_1_73bed957aeac26abf76d1db3e2a2e38d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom