"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #31
Master Chef
 
DaveSoMD's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,038
Spent the day shopping for supplies and getting ready for Frankenstorm so I didn't feel like cooking. I picked up some Marie Callendar's pot pies that were on sale and we had those with some sliced tomatoes ( the last one from the garden).
__________________

__________________
Quoth the chicken, "Fry some more."
AB - Good Eats: Fry Hard II
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:12 AM   #32
Head Chef
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I decided to forgo the baked potato and good thing I did, I was stuffed as it was
I had three pieces of prime rib left over. I think I'll slice one thin for steak sandwiches later today.

that looks great ...
__________________

__________________
love2"Q" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by love2"Q" View Post
that looks great ...
Thanks!
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I decided to forgo the baked potato and good thing I did, I was stuffed as it was
I had three pieces of prime rib left over. I think I'll slice one thin for steak sandwiches later today.
Oh my! That looks scrumptious.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I decided to forgo the baked potato and good thing I did, I was stuffed as it was
I had three pieces of prime rib left over. I think I'll slice one thin for steak sandwiches later today.

That's a perfect plate. Roast cooked just right and the stuffed 'shrooms and asparagus look out of this world too.

Man, you take good care of yourself!
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
We love that stuff...hope it works out
I found two recipes for tzatziki by Greeks. They were very, very similar. Now I know why Greeks consider it a meze or salad, and not a sauce. It had a lot more cucumber than what we are used to. Stirling said it was about the max amount of cucumber he is willing to eat - he doesn't like cucumber. I ate some of it as a salad. I should also have let it sit longer before we ate it. I only gave it an hour, which was how long the other Greek recipe said. It's much tastier this morning.

The lamb was kind of under seasoned compared with the various pita sandwiches we have had in Greek restos. So, I Googled souvlaki seasoning and I had the Greek oregano, but next time I will add lemon. I'm thinking that I might mix up some lemon juice, Greek oregano, and chicken stock and sort of marinate it for a while before heating it.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Thanks Taxy, Thanks Andy.

Taxy, could you PM me the tzatziki recipe you used? I love cucumber, especially in a Greek type wrap. I have a feeling I would like this.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks Taxy, Thanks Andy.

Taxy, could you PM me the tzatziki recipe you used? I love cucumber, especially in a Greek type wrap. I have a feeling I would like this.
Here's the link: Print Tzatziki Recipe - Food.com - 59336
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I found two recipes for tzatziki by Greeks. They were very, very similar. Now I know why Greeks consider it a meze or salad, and not a sauce. It had a lot more cucumber than what we are used to. Stirling said it was about the max amount of cucumber he is willing to eat - he doesn't like cucumber. I ate some of it as a salad. I should also have let it sit longer before we ate it. I only gave it an hour, which was how long the other Greek recipe said. It's much tastier this morning.

The lamb was kind of under seasoned compared with the various pita sandwiches we have had in Greek restos. So, I Googled souvlaki seasoning and I had the Greek oregano, but next time I will add lemon. I'm thinking that I might mix up some lemon juice, Greek oregano, and chicken stock and sort of marinate it for a while before heating it.
I love souvlaki. The Greek trinity of seasonings is oregano, lemon and garlic; I mix those with olive oil and S&P for marinating chicken or pork for souvlaki.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
TL, did you use the dill in it? IMO, it's not optional My recipe, which I posted last summer, also calls for a little mint. I think it makes a huge difference in the flavor.

Tzatziki (Greek Cucumber and Yogurt Sauce)
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dinner

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.