"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I love souvlaki. The Greek trinity of seasonings is oregano, lemon and garlic; I mix those with olive oil and S&P for marinating chicken or pork for souvlaki.
Yeah, I should add garlic to that "marinade" that I will be making. It's for already cooked lamb from a roast. I was surprised that the roast recipe didn't include lemon or garlic, but I usually try new recipes the way they are presented and make changes later.

Quote:
TL, did you use the dill in it? IMO, it's not optional My recipe, which I posted last summer, also calls for a little mint. I think it makes a huge difference in the flavor.

Tzatziki (Greek Cucumber and Yogurt Sauce)
I intend to try it with the addition of mint, but I wanted to follow the recipe exactly on the first go. So, yes, I used dill. Your recipe is practically the same as the one I used with the exception of the olive oil in the one I posted and the mint in yours. Do you use English cucumber, the long ones with not much seeds and softer skin?

As I mentioned, the tzatziki got tastier overnight. It wasn't bad last night, but it's really good today.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

I noticed the recipe you posted calls for sour cream or Greek yogurt; I always use Greek yogurt. I also use white vinegar instead of red-wine vinegar. I don't use English cucumbers; I don't think they're worth the extra expense. I peel, seed and shred one regular cucumber (from our garden, when possible) in the food processor, then let them sit to exude extra juices while I get the rest of the ingredients ready.

This is making me hungry for tzatziki but I'll have to wait till the storm is over. btw, I love serving tzatziki as a dip with homemade pita chips. I sprinkle pitas cut into triangles with salt and Penzey's Mural of Flavor seasoning, then bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

I used a 10% BF, Greek style, goat's milk yogourt. I used red wine vinegar. I only use white vinegar for cleaning. I might switch it to cider vinegar another time.

I really prefer English cukes and you don't have to peel them. I bet one of the regular cukes would be the right amount for sauce.

I wanted a recipe that didn't use a food processor. I figure they have been making tzatziki since before FPs and grating a cuke isn't that much effort. I think I win in the effort department, since I don't have to wash the FP, just a grater.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

As I said in another thread, I'm a vinegar fiend - I love all kinds I may try it with red-wine vinegar, though. I prefer it on lots of things, but I never thought of using it in tzatziki. Probably because I've been using the recipe I posted for so long.

Glad you enjoyed yours. Greek is one of my favorite cuisines. Now that I'm thinking about it, I may make some moussakka soon. Haven't made it in a while because DH doesn't like eggplant, but I saw in a Greek cookbook a friend gave me that there's a variation that uses zucchini instead.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
As I said in another thread, I'm a vinegar fiend - I love all kinds I may try it with red-wine vinegar, though. I prefer it on lots of things, but I never thought of using it in tzatziki. Probably because I've been using the recipe I posted for so long.

Glad you enjoyed yours. Greek is one of my favorite cuisines. Now that I'm thinking about it, I may make some moussakka soon. Haven't made it in a while because DH doesn't like eggplant, but I saw in a Greek cookbook a friend gave me that there's a variation that uses zucchini instead.
Neither Stirling nor I like eggplant very much. When I make moussaka I chop up the eggplant. It adds a nice flavour, but no one gets a mouthful of eggplant.

There are a number of vegis that I don't want a mouthful of, but are good julienned or in small pieces as an ingredient

Tags
dinner