"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,871
Cooking school here today!
My son called earlier in the week wanting to know how to make my stuffed manacotti. After trying to explain it to him, and knowing he was just spacing out, I told him to come to Mama for a cooking lesson.
He and his wife are trying to learn how to cook so I'm planning on having them fix our meal, and instructing them as they go. Praying they still love me when it's over......and hope I don't turn into a Gordon Ramsey.
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
I'm sure you'll have lots of fun, Kayelle.
__________________

__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #13
Master Chef
 
jabbur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 5,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Cooking school here today!
My son called earlier in the week wanting to know how to make my stuffed manacotti. After trying to explain it to him, and knowing he was just spacing out, I told him to come to Mama for a cooking lesson.
He and his wife are trying to learn how to cook so I'm planning on having them fix our meal, and instructing them as they go. Praying they still love me when it's over......and hope I don't turn into a Gordon Ramsey.
This week I had a call from my son. "Hi Mom. How do you make pigs in blankets?" When I told him I use crescent rolls he goes "Oops. We got buttermilk biscuits." I reassured him it would be fine. I love giving instructions over the phone.
__________________
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #14
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,871
I agree Jabbor, those "ask mom" cooking calls from my sons always make my day!
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
Senior Cook
 
Littlechef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 361
Waiting to see what we get with Irene. I hope we don't lose power. My fridge is pretty well stocked, so we've got lots of possibilities.

As long as we have power, dinner tonight will be shrimp scampi over linguine and a salad.

Safety for all affected by hurricane Irene.
__________________
Littlechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
Cold, Cold beer...in Frosty Mugs......
Fried Catfish......
A big pot of Mustard Greens....full of T-Roots....
Hush puppies to sop up some pot likker.......
Chocolate Ice Cream......
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #17
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Cold, Cold beer...in Frosty Mugs......
Fried Catfish......
A big pot of Mustard Greens....full of T-Roots....
Hush puppies to sop up some pot likker.......
Chocolate Ice Cream......
Oh boy I love mustard greens!!!! What are hush puppies and t-roots Uncle Bob?
Hushpuppies are a brand of shoe here by us
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Oh boy I love mustard greens!!!! What are hush puppies and t-roots Uncle Bob?
Hushpuppies are a brand of shoe here by us
Yep. used to own a pair of Hush Puppy shoes ~~ Hush puppies are "balls" of a type of cornbread batter, seasoned with green onions, garlic, etc. and dropped into hot, deep fat (peanut oil) to fry...Served as an accompaniment to fried fish...sometimes BBQ meats. Legend has it that when dogs were underfoot, howling for food, the cooks would throw them some fried batter with the admonition to Hush Puppy!!!

T-Roots are Turnip Roots...
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #19
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Yep. used to own a pair of Hush Puppy shoes ~~ Hush puppies are "balls" of a type of cornbread batter, seasoned with green onions, garlic, etc. and dropped into hot, deep fat (peanut oil) to fry...Served as an accompaniment to fried fish...sometimes BBQ meats. Legend has it that when dogs were underfoot, howling for food, the cooks would throw them some fried batter with the admonition to Hush Puppy!!!

T-Roots are Turnip Roots...



cornbread
I used to buy Hush Puppy shoes, they are soooo comfy! They've just become way too expensive!
I will try the turnips with mustard greens, it's sounds like a good combination :) Do you just season them or mash them together?

Would you mind sharing your recipe for hush puppies? They sound amazing :)
And thank you for the little story about them!
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I used to buy Hush Puppy shoes, they are soooo comfy! They've just become way too expensive!
I will try the turnips with mustard greens, it's sounds like a good combination :) Do you just season them or mash them together?

Would you mind sharing your recipe for hush puppies? They sound amazing :)
And thank you for the little story about them!
I usually like to mix Turnip Greens with the Mustard Greens.... I Always add the turnip roots...they add a certain ....sweetness.. to the greens...plus they are just darn good to eat....Add them towards the end....careful not to over cook....they will get mushy.....

Any basic cornbread recipe will work to make Hush Puppies....You can add things like chopped green onions, chopped Jalapeno pepper, whole kernel corn, garlic powder, chopped onion, black pepper etc, etc,.....I prefer to keep them pretty simple and basic however....Drop the batter by tablespoon full into the hot oil....It only takes a few minutes...

Fun & Enjoy!!
__________________

__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dinner

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.