Dinner Saturday 27th of August

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a burned thing. :LOL:

:LOL: Bummer.
I had a buddy that always liked his omelets browned. That's why I wondered. I thought maybe he got used to having his eggs well done somewhere :wacko:

Brown butter and brandy risotto, with some other stuff in there, too. Maque choux sneaking into the pic ;)

Attachments

• shrimp risotto.jpg
    shrimp risotto.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 221
Due to living out of normal type hotels and short projects I have not been cooking. Tonight I ordered pizza.

img_1042374_0_f2c3223f391c2dda81151991775ce839.jpg

I made pasta and sausage and we finished eating just before we lost power.

NY State Fair Food!!!! And it was delicious! But the best dish of all was the gorgeous, funny, charming Australian, Curtis Stone.

Went Eastern Med tonight. Wasn't sure what I was going to do until I hit the markets this AM.

Baba ganoush with flatbreads.

Cucumber and tomato salad w/ feta and a few Greek olives. Drizzled with olive oil and red wine vinegar.

Lamb skewers, marinated in olive oil, lemon juice and a spice mix of cumin, caraway, sumac and fresh oregano. Grilled Vidalia onions on the side. Greek yogurt mix with garlic and mint.

Grilled peaches drizzled with honey infused with cinnamon.

Came out really nice.

Went Eastern Med tonight. Wasn't sure what I was going to do until I hit the markets this AM.

Baba ganoush with flatbreads.

Cucumber and tomato salad w/ feta and a few Greek olives. Drizzled with olive oil and red wine vinegar.

Lamb skewers, marinated in olive oil, lemon juice and a spice mix of cumin, caraway, sumac and fresh oregano. Grilled Vidalia onions on the side. Greek yogurt mix with garlic and mint.

Grilled peaches drizzled with honey infused with cinnamon.

Came out really nice.

That sounds great! Don't forget to invite me for dinner next time! ;)

Cooking school here today! :chef:
My son called earlier in the week wanting to know how to make my stuffed manacotti. After trying to explain it to him, and knowing he was just spacing out, I told him to come to Mama for a cooking lesson. :)
He and his wife are trying to learn how to cook so I'm planning on having them fix our meal, and instructing them as they go. Praying they still love me when it's over......and hope I don't turn into a Gordon Ramsey. :hammer:

Well that was fun and I didn't turn into Gordon Ramsey. Phew!!
The spinach and cheese stuffed manacotti turned out great and the kids learned some knife skills for the basic marinara sauce. Son did the cheese grating, and they each stuffed half the shells with with the cheese/spinach mixture.
Daughter-in-law wrote out the detailed instructions as we went along and they are both excited to make it at home by themselves We had green salad and garlic toast too.. What a lovely afternoon and evening, making memories. Counting blessings here. ;)

Last edited:
We had Asian shrimp with sauteed ginger, garlic, soy sauce, dry white wine, sesame oil, lemon juice, etc., served with brown rice. Steamed broccoli on the side.

I had planned to make Bobotie, but Mr Z surprised me by taking me to a local restaurant (local = less than 20 miles away here in the mountains!).

Simple salad followed by veggie pizza. No meat, wasn't in the mood for meat... I didn't even have room for dessert, so I was a cheap date!

The Bobotie will wait till tonight...

I had planned to make Bobotie, but Mr Z surprised me by taking me to a local restaurant (local = less than 20 miles away here in the mountains!).

Simple salad followed by veggie pizza. No meat, wasn't in the mood for meat... I didn't even have room for dessert, so I was a cheap date!

The Bobotie will wait till tonight...

How do you make your Bobotie Ruth?

I have a cookery book by Ina Parman, which I picked up on a visit to SA, and I'm going to adapt her recipe. I'll use beef mince, onion, garlic, apple and a host of spices. The topping will be sour cream/yoghurt and eggs.

For 350g beef mince and 2 apples I'll use 2 tsp curry powder, 1 tsp each of coriander & turmeric, 0.5 tsp each of chili powder, ginger & cinnamon.

Beef mince, onion, garlic fried off with apple, spices added, in ovenproof dish, add topping and cook for 30 mins at 190ºc.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

I have a cookery book by Ina Parman, which I picked up on a visit to SA, and I'm going to adapt her recipe. I'll use beef mince, onion, garlic, apple and a host of spices. The topping will be sour cream/yoghurt and eggs.

For 350g beef mince and 2 apples I'll use 2 tsp curry powder, 1 tsp each of coriander & turmeric, 0.5 tsp each of chili powder, ginger & cinnamon.

Beef mince, onion, garlic fried off with apple, spices added, in ovenproof dish, add topping and cook for 30 mins at 190ºc.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

Just asking since I'm South African :) Thanks for your version! I've posted my traditional version on DC if you want to have a look. We don't use sour cream or yogurt in the traditional dish. The rest of it sounds the same though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom