"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,347
Interesting. I'll have to give that a try with the rest of the sap I have sitting here. I don't think my house can take more vapor today!
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Here's a "makeover" for butter chicken that has fewer calories, etc.

Steven and Chris | Dish Do-Over: Butter Chicken
Cheers CWS

We use light cream in our butter chicken instead of full cream and it still tastes wonderful...we also use no fat greek yoghurt...so the one we have we alter it slightly for the healthier option
__________________

__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Interesting. I'll have to give that a try with the rest of the sap I have sitting here. I don't think my house can take more vapor today!
When the sap freezes, does the water separate out? Or some of it?
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:00 AM   #24
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
When the sap freezes, does the water separate out? Or some of it?
IIRC after you freeze the sap you let it defrost partway. The sap liquifies before the water, allowing you to remove the ice block and refreeze the sap. Eventually you are left with very concentrated sap...syrup! Don't remember if you have to actually finish it by boiling off. Although I read about this decades ago I have yet to try it.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
IIRC after you freeze the sap you let it defrost partway. The sap liquifies before the water, allowing you to remove the ice block and refreeze the sap. Eventually you are left with very concentrated sap...syrup! Don't remember if you have to actually finish it by boiling off. Although I read about this decades ago I have yet to try it.
You still have to boil it, but by freezing it and removing some of the water first, it takes less time to get it to syrup. I'm thinking of trying it with the sap I did yesterday. I stopped it before it finished (tough to watch in the oven) and have to finish it on the stove. For now, it is in the freezer <g>. I'll let you know how it works.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #26
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Interesting. I'll have to give that a try with the rest of the sap I have sitting here. I don't think my house can take more vapor today!

When I was a kid my Grandmother helped us make syrup for a few years.

We only tapped about a dozen giant sugar maples in the yard.

The first year we boiled the sap indoors and the wallpaper started peeling off of the kitchen walls. The room became sort of sticky from all of the vapor.

In future years we boiled the sap outdoors over a wood fire until my Grandmother pronounced it ready to finish indoors on the kitchen stove. Once it was thick enough we sealed it in sterilized canning jars.

We were always told that the price of a gallon of syrup was equal to a days pay for an unskilled worker. Today in my area it sells for $50.00 per gallon at the farmers market. Still pretty close to the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
When I was a kid my Grandmother helped us make syrup for a few years.

We only tapped about a dozen giant sugar maples in the yard.

The first year we boiled the sap indoors and the wallpaper started peeling off of the kitchen walls. The room became sort of sticky from all of the vapor.

In future years we boiled the sap outdoors over a wood fire until my Grandmother pronounced it ready to finish indoors on the kitchen stove. Once it was thick enough we sealed it in sterilized canning jars.

We were always told that the price of a gallon of syrup was equal to a days pay for an unskilled worker. Today in my area it sells for $50.00 per gallon at the farmers market. Still pretty close to the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.
It is a lot more than $50/gallon here! We usually do it on the forge, but the DH is away and I had to work. I couldn't keep running out to check the forge re: wood. I will finish it on the stove. My house did get a bit steamy. My dad uses a propane turkey fryer and does his outside until it is ready to finish on the stove. Once you reach that stage, it can go from syrup to sugar to burnt really fast if you're not paying attention.

I was thinking it was too bad I didn't have any wallpaper I wanted to remove <g>.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
It is a lot more than $50/gallon here! We usually do it on the forge, but the DH is away and I had to work. I couldn't keep running out to check the forge re: wood. I will finish it on the stove. My house did get a bit steamy. My dad uses a propane turkey fryer and does his outside until it is ready to finish on the stove. Once you reach that stage, it can go from syrup to sugar to burnt really fast if you're not paying attention.

I was thinking it was too bad I didn't have any wallpaper I wanted to remove <g>.
I admit, I buy maple syrup on sale. I buy it in 540 ml tins. I seldom pay as much as $7/tin, which works out to $49.07 / US gallon. Maybe you are looking at Imperial gallons. $7/tin works out to $59.93 / Imperial gallon.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,408
I usually buy maple syrup at Costco for $12-$14 per quart or $48-$56 per gallon.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dinner

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.