Dinner Saturday 6th April 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting. I'll have to give that a try with the rest of the sap I have sitting here. I don't think my house can take more vapor today!

When the sap freezes, does the water separate out? Or some of it?

IIRC after you freeze the sap you let it defrost partway. The sap liquifies before the water, allowing you to remove the ice block and refreeze the sap. Eventually you are left with very concentrated sap...syrup! Don't remember if you have to actually finish it by boiling off. Although I read about this decades ago I have yet to try it.

IIRC after you freeze the sap you let it defrost partway. The sap liquifies before the water, allowing you to remove the ice block and refreeze the sap. Eventually you are left with very concentrated sap...syrup! Don't remember if you have to actually finish it by boiling off. Although I read about this decades ago I have yet to try it.
You still have to boil it, but by freezing it and removing some of the water first, it takes less time to get it to syrup. I'm thinking of trying it with the sap I did yesterday. I stopped it before it finished (tough to watch in the oven) and have to finish it on the stove. For now, it is in the freezer <g>. I'll let you know how it works.

Interesting. I'll have to give that a try with the rest of the sap I have sitting here. I don't think my house can take more vapor today!

When I was a kid my Grandmother helped us make syrup for a few years.

We only tapped about a dozen giant sugar maples in the yard.

The first year we boiled the sap indoors and the wallpaper started peeling off of the kitchen walls. The room became sort of sticky from all of the vapor. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

In future years we boiled the sap outdoors over a wood fire until my Grandmother pronounced it ready to finish indoors on the kitchen stove. Once it was thick enough we sealed it in sterilized canning jars.

We were always told that the price of a gallon of syrup was equal to a days pay for an unskilled worker. Today in my area it sells for $50.00 per gallon at the farmers market. Still pretty close to the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.

When I was a kid my Grandmother helped us make syrup for a few years.

We only tapped about a dozen giant sugar maples in the yard.

The first year we boiled the sap indoors and the wallpaper started peeling off of the kitchen walls. The room became sort of sticky from all of the vapor. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

In future years we boiled the sap outdoors over a wood fire until my Grandmother pronounced it ready to finish indoors on the kitchen stove. Once it was thick enough we sealed it in sterilized canning jars.

We were always told that the price of a gallon of syrup was equal to a days pay for an unskilled worker. Today in my area it sells for $50.00 per gallon at the farmers market. Still pretty close to the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.
It is a lot more than $50/gallon here! We usually do it on the forge, but the DH is away and I had to work. I couldn't keep running out to check the forge re: wood. I will finish it on the stove. My house did get a bit steamy. My dad uses a propane turkey fryer and does his outside until it is ready to finish on the stove. Once you reach that stage, it can go from syrup to sugar to burnt really fast if you're not paying attention.

I was thinking it was too bad I didn't have any wallpaper I wanted to remove <g>.

It is a lot more than $50/gallon here! We usually do it on the forge, but the DH is away and I had to work. I couldn't keep running out to check the forge re: wood. I will finish it on the stove. My house did get a bit steamy. My dad uses a propane turkey fryer and does his outside until it is ready to finish on the stove. Once you reach that stage, it can go from syrup to sugar to burnt really fast if you're not paying attention.

I was thinking it was too bad I didn't have any wallpaper I wanted to remove <g>.
I admit, I buy maple syrup on sale. I buy it in 540 ml tins. I seldom pay as much as $7/tin, which works out to $49.07 / US gallon. Maybe you are looking at Imperial gallons. $7/tin works out to $59.93 / Imperial gallon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom