Dinner Saturday 6th April 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
baseball field work from 10 to noon-ish, then baseball practice from 3 to 6 tonight, so dinner is up in the air at this point. probably takeout or something else quick. it's supposed to be nice out, so practice will undoubtedly run late.

then i have a meeting at 8pm, so i'll probably pass out after that rather than eat. i just hope i don't wake up hungry at 3am since i'm starting vacation and need to readjust my body clock back to normal human mode.

I have to judge a mustard competition on Sunday, so we're driving to Wisconsin today. We have reservations at a Cajun restaurant there for tonight. Never been to this place before but it has very good reviews.

We are have some left over teriyaki bbq beef shortribs that I cooked in the crockpot for dinner last night. I'm also going to make a chicken tortilla soup.

I'm also having a terrible craving for nacho's. That might be my dinner.

I have to judge a mustard competition on Sunday, so we're driving to Wisconsin today. We have reservations at a Cajun restaurant there for tonight. Never been to this place before but it has very good reviews.

Cajun sounds good, enjoy! :)

Picked up a rotisserie chicken when I was at the grocery store today. Will steam some fresh broccoli and do a starch. Trying to make up my mind between tube biscuits or rice. I'd add some parsley and lemon zest to the rice.

Really want to make a pot of copycat cream of chicken soup with wild rice like they serve at Panera's.:yum: I'll make stock from the skin and bones and use the leftover meat along with another poached breast or two. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are on sale for $1.69 a pound so I believe we'll be sprouting feathers soon.;)

I'm evapping maple sap, so I think I'll just munch on some veggies and curry-toasted chickpeas...

If you have some extra sap try making a New England boiled dinner using the sap instead of water. It gives a subtle maple flavor to the meat and vegetables as some of the moisture evaporates during cooking.

If you don't have time to experiment freeze a couple of half gallon jugs of sap for use later in the year!

I only ate once today, so I ate a whole Little Caesars pizza about 4:00.

Nuked some Stovetop Stuffing that was well past expiration for munching, (tasted fine) then threw together leftover Enchiladas Indiginous with beans and rice with extra salsa and cheese in a little casserole.

We ended up getting Roadhouse food. Hubby and I ordered eisbein and Daniel had chicken and chips and Caty a chicken and mushroom wrap.
Caitlin didn't like her food so she ate half of mine and Daniel ate some of my food too.
Just had some veggies to fill me up since I got about a quarter of my meal lol!

If you have some extra sap try making a New England boiled dinner using the sap instead of water. It gives a subtle maple flavor to the meat and vegetables as some of the moisture evaporates during cooking.

If you don't have time to experiment freeze a couple of half gallon jugs of sap for use later in the year!
I do freeze sap. It can get somewhat overwhelming (evapping sap).

I do freeze sap. It can get somewhat overwhelming (evapping sap).

Have you ever tried making the syrup by freezing/thawing/freezing the sap? I saw an article in an early 1970's Mother Earth News that said you could do it just that way. We have silver maples on our lot and I've thought of trying to make syrup via the freezing method with their sap, although it's probably too late to do it this year.

Have you ever tried making the syrup by freezing/thawing/freezing the sap? I saw an article in an early 1970's Mother Earth News that said you could do it just that way. We have silver maples on our lot and I've thought of trying to make syrup via the freezing method with their sap, although it's probably too late to do it this year.
I haven't heard of that method. My understanding is that the sap has to boil at 7.4 degrees above the boiling temperature of water to reach the appropriate sugar concentration (66% on the Brix scale). I do freeze sap and make syrup later. It keeps for 12 months frozen.

The ratio of sap to syrup from Silver Maples is 100:1. A friend taps her Silver Maples. We did one year and blended the sap with that from the Sugar Maples. Now we just tap the Sugar Maples.

Is it too late? The ideal nighttime temp is -5C and daytime temps of 5C. Once the trees start to form buds, the season is over and it is time to think about planting the garden.

Last edited:
I haven't heard of that method. My understanding is that the sap has to boil at 7.4 degrees above the boiling temperature of water to reach the appropriate sugar concentration (66% on the Brix scale). I do freeze sap and make syrup later. It keeps for 12 months frozen.

The ratio of sap to syrup from Silver Maples is 100:1. A friend taps her Silver Maples. We did one year and blended the sap with that from the Sugar Maples. Now we just tap the Sugar Maples.

Is it too late? The ideal nighttime temp is -5C and daytime temps of 5C. Once the trees start to form buds, the season is over and it is time to think about planting the garden.

Talk about not ever getting around to doing things: I read this article in Mother back before I was even married! I so missed getting rid of most of the issues I had saved when we moved from OH to MA. As intriguing as it sounds I've never bothered tapping any of the maples we've had in our yards. OH had some really big sugar maples.

Too late here. We've had a flush of warm days and the buds on all the trees in our yard are swollen and ready to pop. Except for the oak. Not gonna try this with oak sap.;)

Back
Top Bottom