Dinner, Saturday 8/29/15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beef roulades. Mmm, haven't made those for ages. Was this Dinner for One, Chief? Or has your sweet bride come home?

Hope she's doing well, no matter where she is right now. You guys are in my thoughts; wishing her a full recovery.

This was dinner for three, myself and my friends with whom I've been staying for a month. DW is still in the hospital, but is standing up off of the bed, sitting in a chair for up to four hours at a stretch, some tentative walking, and doing the exercises that therapy is giving her to do. She still has one little spot in her abdomen that is draining, as per yesterday's cat scan. They have to move one drain to get that one. Her biggest issue is that she's been on antibiotics so long that her gut flora is pretty much destroyed. She's extremely nauseated every time she eats. She has been eating yogurt, and a couple of different protein/meal replacement drinks at each meal. Yesterday, she was able to eat cottage cheese with no difficulties. This will take more time, I'm afraid. They were hoping to release her to TenderCare in the Soo as early as tomorrow, but can't until that last stubborn infection pocket is taken care of.

She's in very good spirits for what she's been through. I still see improvement daily, as do her nurses and therapists. I probably should have put this in the other thread that is about her progress. I just had to answer the question by CG.

To justify in my own mind why I can stay here for the time I have, I purchase a good amount of the food, and do most of the cooking for the evening meal.
I've still got about 240 hours of vacation time, and am on FMLA leave. But I feel the need to go back to work. DW's condition will dictate when that will happen.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.

Last night we had thin sliced chicken breast dredged in season flour then pan fried in small amount of butter and coconut oil. Lemon chicken pan gravy, Trader Joe's wide flat egg noodles (finally wide egg noodles like the old days!!) and microwave steamed fresh broccoli.

Great News!

She's in very good spirits for what she's been through. I still see improvement daily, as do her nurses and therapists. I probably should have put this in the other thread that is about her progress.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.

WOW, that is really good to hear Chief, thanks for sharing that. I was wondering, even though I haven't been 'seen round these parts' in a while, I do keep up. Please send DW my regards.

Chief, (((hugs))) to you and your DW. I have had that too-much-antibiotics-killed-the-gut-flora and it was so painful that I went to the ER.

I have read that foods pickled using a lactic acid fermentation process are also good for restoring gut flora. An example of that would be sauerkraut. I am pretty sure it has to be raw to be useful. I would think that having several different sources of microorganisms, with different microbes, would help re-establish the gut flora quicker. I'm not a doctor or nutritionist, so this is just me guessing. I would eat sour cream and kefir as well as yogourt

We love hearing good news, Chief, keep it coming! Hoping DW will be able to join you soon.

...DW is still in the hospital, but ... I still see improvement daily, as do her nurses and therapists. I probably should have put this in the other thread that is about her progress. I just had to answer the question by CG.....
That is wonderful to hear, Chief. I can't wait until you let us know she's back home with you. ~~ I also added a comment to your "Need all the help..." thread mentioning that you had updated us here. I included a link to your comment in this dinner thread so people can find your post here easily.

...Just stopped by to mention how much mileage you can get out of a small (608 oz) glass of 9.5 ABV beer...on an empty stomach. :wacko: Ish goooooood. :yum:

That is impressive! So what size is a big glass? :)
LOL! :ROFLMAO: I completely missed my typo when I proofed my comment. Guess it was because I was busy checking out the "proof" of the beer.

taxy, the hyphen is next to the zero. It was supposed to read "6-8 oz". :LOL: I've had this laptop for six months now and I'm still trying to adjust to the larger keyboard. sheesh! I'm a slow learner.

Tonight we had Grilled Chicken and Caprese Salad. My favorite summer salad! :yum:

img_1434510_0_4c31376b92ad0a4294ec01ff6eb2f6ba.jpg

I don't know how I missed this - beautiful pic, Steve! I love Caprese salad too, and it's been way too long since I've had one. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom