Dinner Saturday 8th June 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kylie1969

Chef Extraordinaire
Tonight we are making some meat pies and having some chips with them and covering them in a nice gravy :yum:

We are having pizza tonight. Pizza Hut is running a special - any large one-topping pizza is $5.55 when you get it for carryout. You have to ask for the special when you order.

Anyone know - can you freeze already cooked pizza? At this price I think I might give that a try.

We are having pizza tonight. Pizza Hut is running a special - any large one-topping pizza is $5.55 when you get it for carryout. You have to ask for the special when you order.

Anyone know - can you freeze already cooked pizza? At this price I think I might give that a try.

oh absolutely, dave, you can freeze cooked pizza, and with excellent results! we used to stack the freezer full of sale pizzas. if that hadn't worked so well, i might have learned how to cook sooner than i did....:)

Pizza Hut must be competing with Little Caesars specials that they've been running for years. I had their $8 pizza last night, which is the three meat version. Lunchtime it's five bucks for a cheese and pepperoni.
I may try freezing one in individual slices now. It can't be much different than a frozen pizza.

I might grill some chicken tonight. Maybe make some macaroni salad to go along.

spending the day at the zoo with the daughter and grandkids.
Grandkids are packing a picnic lunch for my birthday, the boys have planned the whole thing, 12, 9, 6 years old -- It should be interesting
Gotta love them.

DH has a luncheon meeting today and the yungun is working so I don't plan on much cooking here. There's plenty of meatloaf left and the hamburger stuffing to make a meal so we'll nosh on what's in the fridge already.

We are going to our church's annual Grad banquet tonight where we honour all high school grad students in our church and youth group. There are 8 tonight and I am very close to 7, but specially to my best friends son whom is like a son to me.

We are having a roast beef dinner and I am taking yorkshire pudding, including some gluten free ones. We can't eat them because it still has dairy and egg, but we have several GF people in the church.

Really looking forward to it! :)

I've got a beautiful 2.3 # chuck roast. I'm planning on cooking it low and slow with Klondike potatoes, celery and carrots. With lots or yummy leftovers!

Not being able to plan a meal, and have it stick, is still a bit unsettling to me. I'm on my third strategy for dinner so far today and it isn't even noon yet. There are just too many options. My architect recently returned from a month long medical trek to Nepal and the physician who lead the trek is giving a slide show tonight of the venture. I wasn't going to be surprised if a group from that gathering went out to eat afterwards. Failing that, I was going home for a spinach salad. Now my sister calls from Colorado and wants to pick me up for a solar house tour in a few hours. I'm pretty certain that will end in a meal out. The medical trek slideshow is being given again on Monday, so I hope I can make that one.

We went to a grad party this afternoon and stopped for a brisket sandwich and sweet potato fries on the way home about an hour ago. Probably won't eat much this evening.

Home made Chinese tonight. Deep fried tofu in black bean sauce, pork dumplings w/ chilis, store bought egg rolls(cheating on these), and some greens to help it all go down......and out:LOL:

Last edited:
oh absolutely, dave, you can freeze cooked pizza, and with excellent results! we used to stack the freezer full of sale pizzas. if that hadn't worked so well, i might have learned how to cook sooner than i did....:)
Isn't pizza hut the place that threatened to fire all their low wage slaves if Romney didn't win?
If so, I wouldn't encourage them, no matter how cheap the eats re. People need sustaining too!

I switched to steak with the usual stuff... maybe with a blue cheese asparagus sauce.

We had pan-grilled bratwurst on Italian rolls with homemade jalapeno mustard, shredded lettuce and pickled banana peppers. Potato salad alongside. Off to the HarborFest fireworks!

DH went to his luncheon meeting. Since he was the main speaker, he ordered his lunch to go and got another for me! So we had lasagna and bread for supper.

We had our murder mystery party tonight. It couldn't have turned out better. The group all came in costume, and acted out their parts. We had some real hams.

I pretty much stuck with the planned dinner, although I also incorporated a few suggestion that DC'ers offered. Jennyema's stuffed tomatoes were a big hit, and instead of wrapping the shrimp appetizer in bacon, I used prosciutto instead. That turned out to be an excellent suggestion.

I went back and forth on whether or not to make Cornish Hens, but in the end we decided to go with them. Instead of roasting them in the oven, I brined them and did them on the grill. I have to say they came out fantastic - juicy, with just the right amount of smokiness.

Unfortunately, I totally got swamped trying to get everything cooked and plated, and didn't have time to take pictures, so I have nothing to post. :(

Thanks again to everyone who offered suggestions! :chef:

We had our murder mystery party tonight. It couldn't have turned out better. The group all came in costume, and acted out all their parts.

I pretty much stuck with the planned dinner, although I also incorporated a few suggestion that DC'ers offered. Jennyema's stuffed tomatoes were a big hit, and instead of wrapping the shrimp appetizer in bacon, I used prosciutto instead. That turned out to be an excellent suggestion.

I went back and forth on whether or not to make Cornish Hens, but in the end we decided to go with them. Instead of roasting them in the oven, I brined them and did them on the grill. I have to say they came out fantastic - juicy, with just the right amount of smokiness.

Unfortunately, I totally got swamped trying to get everything cooked and plated, and didn't have time to take pictures, so I have nothing to post. :(

Thanks again to everyone who offered suggestions! :chef:

So glad to hear it went so well, Steve! :) Bummer about no pics.

We did a murder mystery dinner milleniums ago, Some of us were assigned parts according to the script. Spouses could do whatever. DH wore my trench coat and went as Columbo. He played the part well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom