"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-15-2007, 12:07 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Dinner Saturday, Sept 15th, anyone eatin?

We are here in beautiful Coeur d'Alene Idaho.
DH is still asleep after tackling wharfs famous eatery for dinner last night.

Question for all of you. I have a new annoyance. Maybe someone can enlighten me about this new malady.
When someone says "thank you" when did "you're welcome" go out of style and become "not a problem" or worse yet "yep"? And this one's been going on for ions too. The bill included dollars and cents. Why is it, when they bring you your change after you pay in cash, they omit the change, even when it's over a half dollars worth?

Dinner will be at a restaurant in either Spokane or Seattle tonight. It depends on how much we want to drive since we landed then drove all day yesterday to get here.

Happy Saturday happy weekend and enjoy the day.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
Question for all of you. I have a new annoyance. Maybe someone can enlighten me about this new malady.
When someone says "thank you" when did "you're welcome" go out of style and become "not a problem" or worse yet "yep"?
Around here, you get "sure" a lot, or even worse, no response! I always say, "I said, thank you..." Drives me nuts, too, lefse--I'm afraid we're probably considered old fashioned.

Tonight we're having Southwest chicken chili with homemade tortilla chips. If DH gets back from work early enough today we're headed out to an orchard to get apples--they also have a bunch of free kids crafts, activities and wagon rides. Depending on the time I hope to make a nice, hot apple crisp for dessert!

Old 09-15-2007, 01:15 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

am i having a deja vu?

i think i've been here before. all joking aside.

ok, on topic:
i am adamant about teaching my boy to ask for things by saying "may i have...please" instead of "can i get"; receiving them with a "thank you"; or giving them with "you're welcome".
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:01 PM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
"Football Ssaturday" were a just have grilled ham and cheese on pumpernickel bread and salad.

Lefse, my sons were taught manners at a very young age, as well as my grandsons. There are times now, I'll do something special for my youngest son (26) and he'll forget to say thank you, when he does I'll say "your welcome", which he then says oh thank you, Mom. It works every time. Some people were never taught I guess !
I am guilty of saying "no problem" sometimes, for me its like saying glad to have helped you.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:05 PM   #5
Executive Chef

yep buckster, you have been here before, with the no problem part but the 'yep' is new to even me
Old 09-15-2007, 02:27 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

The "yep" or no response is really rude and it annoys me no end..Another is to have the waiter or waitress ask me if I want change back when I pay for a meal..! I gladly tip, especially those who go out of their way, but the "ya want change back" sets my teeth on edge! Chances are the next time I eat at another place...I also dislike the honey, sweetie, darling that is handed out to many older people now days. They aren't babies, and they are not going to pitch a fit in your eatery, It's hard I know how to address people but that pat on the head attitude, litterly makes me want to lay on the floor, kick my heels and give them a taste of who to treat like an idiot!
And on that note, dinner will be at home tonight...just roast beef on crusty french rolls,with au jus to dunk them in, fries, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers and avocados..No dessert unless we want ice cream as there is a cake baking for tomorrow, thanks to Goodweed
kadesma
Old 09-15-2007, 02:34 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I am going to drink some nice bourbon, sit on the paito in the cool of the evening, and fry some fish, hushpuppies etc. Thank You for asking!!

Have Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:46 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
it`s Saturday therefore it`s Pizza, but this time with Home grown tomatoes on it :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:58 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

the dough must rise a lot yt, having taken the time to grow tomatoes on it...

(tv jammer, my A$$)
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:19 PM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I am going to drink some nice bourbon, sit on the paito in the cool of the evening, and fry some fish, hushpuppies etc. Thank You for asking!!

Have Fun!
Uncle Bob, thats sounds so relaxing and I can almost smell the fish a fryin' - I am jealous !