Dinner Saturday, Sept 15th, anyone eatin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
We are here in beautiful Coeur d'Alene Idaho.
DH is still asleep after tackling wharfs famous eatery for dinner last night.

Question for all of you. I have a new annoyance. Maybe someone can enlighten me about this new malady.
When someone says "thank you" when did "you're welcome" go out of style and become "not a problem" or worse yet "yep"? And this one's been going on for ions too. The bill included dollars and cents. Why is it, when they bring you your change after you pay in cash, they omit the change, even when it's over a half dollars worth?:furious:

Dinner will be at a restaurant in either Spokane or Seattle tonight. It depends on how much we want to drive since we landed then drove all day yesterday to get here.:-p

Happy Saturday happy weekend and enjoy the day.

Last edited:
Question for all of you. I have a new annoyance. Maybe someone can enlighten me about this new malady.
When someone says "thank you" when did "you're welcome" go out of style and become "not a problem" or worse yet "yep"?

Around here, you get "sure" a lot, or even worse, no response! I always say, "I said, thank you..." Drives me nuts, too, lefse--I'm afraid we're probably considered old fashioned.:mad:

Tonight we're having Southwest chicken chili with homemade tortilla chips. If DH gets back from work early enough today we're headed out to an orchard to get apples--they also have a bunch of free kids crafts, activities and wagon rides. Depending on the time I hope to make a nice, hot apple crisp for dessert!

am i having a deja vu?

i think i've been here before. all joking aside.

ok, on topic:
i am adamant about teaching my boy to ask for things by saying "may i have...please" instead of "can i get"; receiving them with a "thank you"; or giving them with "you're welcome".

"Football Ssaturday" were a just have grilled ham and cheese on pumpernickel bread and salad.

Lefse, my sons were taught manners at a very young age, as well as my grandsons. There are times now, I'll do something special for my youngest son (26) and he'll forget to say thank you, when he does I'll say "your welcome", which he then says oh thank you, Mom. It works every time. Some people were never taught I guess !
I am guilty of saying "no problem" sometimes, for me its like saying glad to have helped you.

Last edited:
The "yep" or no response is really rude and it annoys me no end..Another is to have the waiter or waitress ask me if I want change back when I pay for a meal..! I gladly tip, especially those who go out of their way, but the "ya want change back" sets my teeth on edge! Chances are the next time I eat at another place...I also dislike the honey, sweetie, darling that is handed out to many older people now days. They aren't babies, and they are not going to pitch a fit in your eatery, It's hard I know how to address people but that pat on the head attitude, litterly makes me want to lay on the floor, kick my heels and give them a taste of who to treat like an idiot!
And on that note, dinner will be at home tonight...just roast beef on crusty french rolls,with au jus to dunk them in, fries, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers and avocados..No dessert unless we want ice cream as there is a cake baking for tomorrow, thanks to Goodweed
kadesma:-p

Last edited:
I am going to drink some nice bourbon, sit on the paito in the cool of the evening, and fry some fish, hushpuppies etc. Thank You for asking!!;)

Have Fun!

the dough must rise a lot yt, having taken the time to grow tomatoes on it... :rolleyes:

(tv jammer, my A$$)

We're kind of having fish....well, it lives in water. :LOL: Mussels done two ways, one in a marinara sauce, the other in a white wine sauce. Lobster tails with lemon and buttah. Salad and crusty bread with more buttah. :)

Loprraine, I want what you are having. We are taking it easy tonight. Crabcakes, crusty bread and a cup a' chowdah. I almost changed my menu after reading all the fish frying going on. I guess I am hungry but not ambitious.

We're kind of having fish....well, it lives in water. :LOL: Mussels done two ways, one in a marinara sauce, the other in a white wine sauce. Lobster tails with lemon and buttah. Salad and crusty bread with more buttah. :)

Now I don't know Where to go , I love your dinner - my favorite ! But do love my fish !!!!!:wacko: Envy is sinkin' in !

Come on over. I'll trade ya'll my mussels for a cup a'chowdah or some fried fish. Never did care much for mussels, but the others do.!!!!

I've noticed the same thing. What bothers me, though, is the dwindling use of the term "thank you" in general. When we were visiting my sister recently, a niece asked me why my son always says "thank you for dinner" when he asks to be excused. I said to her "it is common courtesy to thank people who have done something nice for you". She looked at me like I was from Mars.

As far as dinner is concerned, it is too bad I did the omelettes on Thursday as dh is still need able to handle much texture after dental surgery yesterday. He's going to have some leftover scalloped potatoes and cottage cheese. Weird, yes, but the menu was his selection. Ds and I are going to have some fried chicken (KFC) leftover from the lunch we provided today for a sibling group my agency sponsors.

Last edited:
I met a friend at a Chinese restaurant over in a northern Cincinnati suburb. We split the lobster special - which was 2 fresh lobsters, cooked with ginger, soy, green onions and served on a bed of freshly steamed rice noodles (and only $20 for 2 lobsters!). We also had dim sum - I was the only Caucasian in the place and my friend did all the ordering in Cantonese - the food was delicious! I am pretty stuffed - ready for a nap.

......................but folks, no one helped me with what to do about the change that wasn't brought to me. Is it okay to leave that part of what's due me back, out? And Kades, you hit the nail on the head, say for instance the bill is $50, you put down $100, what do you think noodlehead waitress, "no, you just keep the $50 as your tip."

How presumptuous of the waiter/waitress to simply not include your change change in what they return to you.
aaaaargh.............

conversely, last night I left a generous tip to the young gal that waited on us because she deserved it, phathom that..........:mellow:

Last night we enjoyed one of our old favorites - a sort of "pseudo" Fettucini Alfredo (Barilla fettucini tossed with a mixture of melted "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter", non-fat yogurt, sour cream, & copious amounts of freshly grated parmesan cheese). Served with a nice green salad & warm Italian bread.

As far as dinner is concerned, it is too bad I did the omelettes on Thursday as dh is still need able to handle much texture after dental surgery yesterday. He's going to have some leftover scalloped potatoes and cottage cheese.

I broke my jaw in a car accident many years ago, and it was wired shut for 6 weeks. I ate a lot of spaghetti with tomato sauce, fish, rice, mashed potatoes.

DH is still out of town, so I just had a salad for dinner as I made up a couple batches of Rick Bayless' tomatillo-serrano sauce.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom