"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-13-2008, 05:00 AM   #1
Head Chef

Dinner- Saturday September 13,2008

I know this is early, but I work nights. I plan on getting up and cooking(before work) a rib eye steak, baby red potatoes(not sure how yet) and Asparagus. With the leftovers I am going to make Steak Soup.

Question: I mixed up the dough for NYT Bread a couple of nights ago and with my work schedule and the heat it is still sitting on the first rise. Will it be OK? I added 1 clove of chopped garlic and a half clove(?) of Shallot. I am hoping to get up early enough to bake it before I go to work. This is my second shot at NYT bread. I was not real happy with my first loaf. It didn't look any where as good as Joe's. And it was real heavy. I used bread flour the first time, I used regular flour this time.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:13 AM   #2
Master Chef

I don't know! I'm photographing a wedding and reception for 6 hours, so it will more than likely be chicken or beef.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:01 AM   #3
Sous Chef

that is eally early for this thread.

once again im working but for lunch i got either spinach an ricotta stuffed chicken with a tomoato cream sauce or ill order something out
Old 09-13-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Something simple. Maybe brats on the grill.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:17 AM   #5
Executive Chef

dh left Thursday on a motorcycle trip, had pop corn last night....am looking at my favorite recipe for chocolate bread pudding and wanting to incorporate some blueberries, but I'm thinking that is not the best idea, so will probably make the recipe as written, so..

chocolate bread pudding with cream
Old 09-13-2008, 08:24 AM   #6
Sous Chef

whatb aout throwing in some bananas in that chocolate bread pudding
Old 09-13-2008, 08:37 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoRacingKid View Post
whatb aout throwing in some bananas in that chocolate bread pudding

good idea, the taste combo would be great....but I don't have any fresh bananas/fruit, (except 400# of apples). I usually don't buy fresh fruit, I rely on harvesting my own fruits and freezing or canning them. Right now i have blueberries and wild black raspberries in the freezer that I would like to use. I know raspberries would be a good combo for the choc bread pudding, but I have eaten choc and raspberries a lot, don't want them now.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:39 AM   #8
Sous Chef

could alwasy buy a banana or 2 or ask a neighbor and tell them you will give them some for it.

I made a blueberry pastry cream once. It was pretty good.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoRacingKid View Post
could alwasy buy a banana or 2 or ask a neighbor and tell them you will give them some for it.

I made a blueberry pastry cream once. It was pretty good.
LOL, okay, here are some of my food philosophies..

I am a person who works with what I have. Generally I get an idea of something I want to make, based on what foods I have that need to be eaten. Then I look for a recipe to use that suits what food ingredients I have and the method of prep I want to use.

I do not drive to town to purchase one item. I would consider riding my bike the 12 miles to buy one or two bananas, but it is too hot and humid today and I don't want to spend that much time just procuring some bananas. I wait until I have at least three tasks before heading into town, usually about every two weeks or more.

I will not pay over $.29/lb for bananas. I was in a large Wal-mart on Monday (one hour away) and they were charging $.59/# for bananas. Don't know what my local Krogers is charging, but they usually want high prices for fruit.

Yesterday I was through my neighbors kitchen and she had no bananas on her counter.

I really concentrate on eating local and seasonal foods. Right now, apples are the fruit of the month.

Thanks for your suggestions though!
Old 09-13-2008, 10:03 AM   #10
Sous Chef

I dont blame you and compeltely agree with you.

Ive become a pantry raider myself. I havent bought anything to cook with in a long time.