"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-02-2014, 11:43 PM   #21
Certified Cake Maniac

We're back to Sunday dinners out. Tonight we went to Swiss Chalet. I am still not eating much meat, but had a Caesar salad with garlic shrimp.

TB had chicken and ribs with sweet potato fries and Greek salad. Working on his Halloween light show really made him work up an appetite . Several months work and it is now all taken down until next year! But he had a blast and everyone loved it.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:34 AM   #22
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Have you posted the recipe? Or a link? We love Thai curries, but I haven't tried it with fish.
I haven't posted this one, but will be happy to do so.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:09 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2014, 08:23 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Nice photos and dinners tonight, everybody! I ended up making a regular pepperoni pizza for my daughter and then another one Greek style. We had the young lad from work over and he inhaled about 8 pieces......
Old 11-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #25
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Looks great! I used to date an Italian girl way back when, and it was the same with her family. Seems like there were always a dozen or more people around the table at her parent's house, and most of the older folks would speak primarily Italian. I was the only non-Italian in the bunch and had no idea what they were saying, but I could always tell when they were talking about me.
HA!
That was me, nervous as heck the first time DH took me
'back East' and I met the fam.
I just sat there sipping my little juice glass of homemade wine,
thinking, this is great, I could really dig this. His grandmother's house
was packed to the brim with folks coming and going,
eating, drinking, talking (loudly and with their hands),
but the food, oh my gravy all over my two scoops rice (that's OMG! in my world) ... and it just kept coming.
His Aunt's were so happy that he brought home a girl (finally), they just gushed over me, "here, try this, try my..., you'll love this ..."
I must have gained 10 pounds that one night!
Old 11-04-2014, 06:02 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

K, The Pirate married a girl who was born in Naples. It was time to meet her family before the wedding could take place. They had a nice fire going in the fireplace. The family, (aunts and uncles from Italy included) were sitting in a semi circle. My back was to the fireplace. I knew I had passed when they asked me if I could speak any Italian. "Only the good words." They knew exactly what I meant.

My daughter-in-law to this day cannot cook Italian food. If you want a real Italian meal, you have to go to her mother's house. Something The Pirate does frequently. And she always send something for me.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #27
Executive Chef

OMG I feel bad for somebody who cannot cook Italian. There are the mother sauces and the mother tongues and they are Italian, French, Spanish and Portuguese (and oddly, Romanian). I'm a strong believer in the French mother sauces but there is a corresponding alphabet of Italian sauces that are mandatory for any chef fledgeling. Anybody who does not cook Italian, French, Spanish (Mexican in the US) should learn these cuisines.

Come on, it's not that hard. I've never been to France or Italy. I learned French from Julia Child. I learned Italian from a variety of other TV chefs and authors. (I learned Thai, Chinese and Japanese because we have so many local examples and population in Los Angeles.) Mexican is of course part of my local culture so that was easy peasy here in Los Angeles.

Not being able to cook Italian is not a terminal condition. All it requires is an interest, and if you have a friend or relative who cooks Italian then even better.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Some people just don't like to cook, Greg. I'm guessing Addie's DIL never learned to cook French, Spanish or Mexican, either

btw, Mexican and Spanish are not the same cuisines. They're influenced by each other, of course, but not the same.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:45 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Some people just don't like to cook, Greg. I'm guessing Addie's DIL never learned to cook French, Spanish or Mexican, either

btw, Mexican and Spanish are not the same cuisines. They're influenced by each other, of course, but not the same.
She never even learned to cook Italian. And her mother who is a fantastic cook, never let any of her five daughters in the kitchen. Her father makes all the pepperoni, soposata, hard Italian salami, etc. and other sausages by hand for the whole family. When she was healthier, she was always sending me food. If it hadn't been for her, The Pirate would have probably starved. Fortunately he learned to cook from his father as well as me.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #30
Executive Chef

That's a shame, a mother who never let her children in the kitchen. Honestly I don't understand the mentality behind that.

My mother always liked me and sis in the kitchen if we wanted, doing homework on the kitchen table, watching her cook, helping her cook or just being company.

It was watching her cook that initially attracted my interest in cooking and if not for her I wouldn't be the world renowned chef I am today. (A legend in my own mind. And I think I missed the class where they taught modesty.)

Tags
dinner, supper