"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-12-2014, 08:28 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
That's a shame, a mother who never let her children in the kitchen. Honestly I don't understand the mentality behind that.

My mother always liked me and sis in the kitchen if we wanted, doing homework on the kitchen table, watching her cook, helping her cook or just being company.

It was watching her cook that initially attracted my interest in cooking and if not for her I wouldn't be the world renowned chef I am today. (A legend in my own mind. And I think I missed the class where they taught modesty.)
I agree with you. My kids were always in the kitchen with me. And my two boys used to go to work with their father. He put them to work in whatever kitchen he was working in. They loved going with him in the summer. He always worked in a tourist area. Plenty of swimming and other fun summer things to do when they weren't working at his side in the kitchen. Spike got to take flying lessons in NH one summer when he was up there with his father. He still has his log.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:42 PM   #32
Executive Chef

I loved my flying lessons too. I still have my log. In fact I plan to add more entries, even if I'm just signed off by a certified flight instructor.

We pilots have a saying: "You can't have any more fun than flying unless you take your clothes off!"

Old 11-13-2014, 10:23 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I loved my flying lessons too. I still have my log. In fact I plan to add more entries, even if I'm just signed off by a certified flight instructor.

We pilots have a saying: "You can't have any more fun than flying unless you take your clothes off!"
Spike learned to fly in a single engine plane that had pontoons on it. The plane was docked at Lake Winnipesaukee in NH. The wings were on top of the plane.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #34
Executive Chef

I learned to fly at Van Nuys Airport, the largest general (non-commercial) airport in the nation in terms of traffic, at least in the era that I learned to fly.

Flying is just amazing! It's like being on a roller coaster and yet having all the controls to make it go up, down, swerve or anything you want.

I'm also an avid skier (snow). Skiing is the closest experience I've found compared to flying.

Tags
dinner, supper