Dinner Sunday, 11-2-2014 ~ Are you making a super supper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
It's Souper Bowl Sunday at our place. I made a pot of chicken soup yesterday for dinner today. Started out rather basic: celery, carrots, garlic, shredded rotisserie bird. Then I started to comb through the fridge. Tossed in the last of the kale...which meant I added a can of cannellini beans. Thinking of peeling and seeding some of the tomatoes in the counter basket. Gotta clean things out during this week's run-up to vacation.

What's on your plate/in your bowl today?

I'm still feeling crappy with this cold and SO has informed me that "I gave her my cold". So I'm defrosting leftover lamb and okra stew for dinner with some rice.

I made some Zuppa Toscana soup for the first time. It looks delish! We have some pretzel rolls to go along with it. We skipped lunch so are having an early supper.

The Pirate roasted two seasoned chicken legs for us. The plan was to have rice and a veggie with them. Then I got sick. So now the chicken legs will become chicken salad on ciabatta bread tomorrow.

pics 034.JPG

pics 033.JPG

Sunday Supper is a big deal with my husband's famiglia
I made some fresh Semolina pasta sheets, on the thick-ish side,
that's how Mister K~Couple likes his pasta, thick and a bit al dente
homemade Marinara
browned up some ground Veal
a tub of Ricotta that needed to be used (use by date was approaching)
a boatload of shredded Mozzarella cheese and Grana Padano
and Bob's (or is cousin Vinny ;)) your uncle
... and no, I don't do the bechamel-style of filling...
OF COURSE DH had to try 'just a sliver' to make sure everything came out okey-dokey
I think he ate half of it for lunch :whistling

I still have half of my Hardee's mile high bacon burger left over from lunch (well, maybe not quite half, caught DH nibbling on it, he'd already finished his), and we have some bits and pieces of leftover soup to take care of.

I was in a Thai mood tonight, so I made Coconut Fish Curry. I also threw in some veggies that were taking up space in the fridge: broccolini, bell peppers, and carrots. I'm not sure how traditional any of those ingredients are, but it was quite delicious. :yum:

img_1396271_0_7d8c528eda5b5fad4f75b3082d9c1a5c.jpg

I've had this whole chicken haunting my freezer for longer than I remember so I decided to roast it. I've spent a huge amount of time studying Julia Child and her French mother sauces, so I'll make one of them to turn my plain chicken into a masterpiece. I'll probably pick a mother sauce in the Veloute category (roux, stock, I always add a dash of nutmeg) and go from there. I have a lot of fresh mushrooms so that seems a promising direction.

I have my own custom Spoon Bread recipe (a kind of soupy cornbread, Southern style) which I haven't had in a long time, got a yearning at Trader Joe's so I bought their cornbread mix (my recipe is from scratch) and deciding how to warp the mix into a semblance. When you do Spoon Bread right it has a semblance of pudding...

I have some red and some white mini-potatoes. I like to nuke them to near done, then saute them in garlic butter (with a dash of brown sugar), and I'll probably select some kind of frozen vegetable to nuke and make it a complete dinner.

Sunday Supper is a big deal with my husband's famiglia...
Looks great! I used to date an Italian girl way back when, and it was the same with her family. Seems like there were always a dozen or more people around the table at her parent's house, and most of the older folks would speak primarily Italian. I was the only non-Italian in the bunch and had no idea what they were saying, but I could always tell when they were talking about me. :rolleyes:

Looks really good, Steve. What kind of fish did you use?

We have lots of leftover Italian pot roast, polenta and sauce, so we'll be having an encore of last night's dinner.

Not sure if it constitutes a super supper but was a yummy one!

I did marinaded pork ribs with baked potato and brussel sprouts fresh from their long stalk. (I have learnt to bake the ribs covered on lowish heat for 1 hour. Then uncover and drain off the juices into a pan; oiled the ribs and baked for a further 30 mins with heat turned up. Produces tender and crispy ribs.)

Last edited:
Ham and cheese subs with lettuce, tomato and thousand island dressing. It's been a busy weekend, so we had an almost picnic in the living room!

Silken tofu with seasoned soy sauce
That looks tasty. Did you steam it?

I used to have a recipe for something similar, except with shiitake and wood ear mushrooms.

And is that broccolini I see in the background? If so, this may be the first time in DC history where broccolini showed up twice in the same dinner thread.

That looks tasty. Did you steam it?

Yep steamed it for 10 minutes. The sauce is soy, sesame oil, vinegar, sugar, Korean red pepper flakes, green onion, garlic and jalapeno.

I used to have a recipe for something similar, except with shiitake and wood ear mushrooms.

I have one like that in my head that I will try soon.

And is that broccolini I see in the background? If so, this may be the first time in DC history where broccolini showed up twice in the same dinner thread.

Close, it is Yu choy

I made some Zuppa Toscana soup for the first time. It looks delish! We have some pretzel rolls to go along with it. We skipped lunch so are having an early supper.

That has become my favorite soup, Jabbur. Did you use kayle?

Lots of great looking and sounding dinners tonight!

I did my Italian Cheese Roll Ups

img_1396302_0_3220ba582909389f3687a619b091cc9d.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom