"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #31
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
My husband and I are both veterans, and take the day seriously. I made tonkatsu and soba noodles, and my local grocery had lovely pea pods. We sat and toasted each other. We renewed our ability to eat using chop sticks.

Bravo to my husband who served in Vietnam. Brava to me, who spent my early 20s on the Dew Line. Bravo, bravo, bravo, to Daddy who fought in the Korean war, and my many uncles who served in WWII. We lifted a toast to all of us.
__________________

__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
My fries and Buffalo wing balls.
Very tasty looking Pac
__________________

__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #33
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Oh man that looks good! I think I'm takin' out my sushi grade tuna tomorrow night for sashimi and spicy tuna rolls, could you give a hint on your seared tuna salad recipe?
Thanks Greg!

Sure - not much to it really. The tuna I brushed with a mixture of soy sauce and sesame oil, then S&P'd, rolled in toasted sesame seeds and pan seared on all sides for about a minute or two on each side. The dressing was rice wine vinegar, a splash of sesame oil, lime juice, mustard, soy sauce, ginger, cilantro, and honey (sorry I don't have a recipe; I just sort of made it up as a I went).

And of course, chow mein noodles and chopped almonds for crunch.
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #34
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Thanks Steve. This concept totally fits with my Japanese themed dinner tomorrow night. I'm thinking of inviting a guest. I hope my friend will condone the dinner interruptions for photo shoots!
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #35
Executive Chef
 
Somebunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Blaine, Washington
Posts: 2,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
My husband and I are both veterans, and take the day seriously. I made tonkatsu and soba noodles, and my local grocery had lovely pea pods. We sat and toasted each other. We renewed our ability to eat using chop sticks.

Bravo to my husband who served in Vietnam. Brava to me, who spent my early 20s on the Dew Line. Bravo, bravo, bravo, to Daddy who fought in the Korean war, and my many uncles who served in WWII. We lifted a toast to all of us.
Claire, thank you and your DH for your service. I raise my glass to you and all our dedicated service folk past present and future. Cheers!

Tonight for dinner we had stuffed baby portobello mushrooms for an appy and a seafood pasta carbonara sans the peas (I was out ) :( served with a green salad. I know Carbonara doesn't have seafood in it, but I wanted to throw some prawns in ( I tend to think we need protein every night, I need to break that habit) I didn't think the bacon would be hearty enough. ;-). I'm crazy :/


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1244265460.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	16297



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1187246103.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	16298
__________________
If you don't like the food, have more wine!
Somebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #36
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
I'd have carbonara more often if it had more than bacon (and cheese) in it. I'm a protein junkie and it's totally working for my diet (my doctor agrees). I would have added some chicken or shrimp to the basic carbonara recipe.

BTW it's the rare day that I don't have cheese with both breakfast and dinner. Yet my doctor tells me my triglycerides and cholesterol are good, and I'm right in the middle BMI wise. I must be doing something right but I sure don't know what it is...
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #37
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
My fries and Buffalo wing balls.
You left the skin on your fries It's the best way, yum! I like the fried skins more than the potato. Reminds me I haven't made loaded potato skins lately !
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:17 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
That looks fabulous SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Claire, thank you and your DH for your service. I raise my glass to you and all our dedicated service folk past present and future. Cheers!

Tonight for dinner we had stuffed baby portobello mushrooms for an appy and a seafood pasta carbonara sans the peas (I was out ) :( served with a green salad. I know Carbonara doesn't have seafood in it, but I wanted to throw some prawns in ( I tend to think we need protein every night, I need to break that habit) I didn't think the bacon would be hearty enough. ;-). I'm crazy :/


Attachment 16297



Attachment 16298
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:19 AM   #39
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I'd have carbonara more often if it had more than bacon (and cheese) in it. I'm a protein junkie and it's totally working for my diet (my doctor agrees). I would have added some chicken or shrimp to the basic carbonara recipe.

BTW it's the rare day that I don't have cheese with both breakfast and dinner. Yet my doctor tells me my triglycerides and cholesterol are good, and I'm right in the middle BMI wise. I must be doing something right but I sure don't know what it is...
You can always use the carbonara as a side dish. That is to say, make a salad and saute a cutlet.
__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:32 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
You left the skin on your fries It's the best way, yum! I like the fried skins more than the potato. Reminds me I haven't made loaded potato skins lately !
There are very few things that I peel a potato for... mashed is the only one that comes to mind And I love potato skins.

Thanks Kylie.

The tuna looks perfect, Steve.

Shrimp Carbonara is my favorite. Shrimp and bacon go so well together.
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dinner

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.