"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #31
Traveling Welcome Wagon

We ended up having something else last night, so tonight we had what was planned for then. Spaghetti with spaghetti squash instead of noodles. We liked it.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #32
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
The smoked turkey was AWESOME. Definitely something I will do again, not every time I make a turkey (since I make turkey about once a month), but I'm already looking forward to lunch of a smoked turkey sandwich. I added cranberry salsa to the menu. I was so anxious to eat, I didn't really want to fuss too much about the pic once it was plated. I started the breast first since it was the heaviest piece.
That looks positively wonderful, CWS

We went out for Latin American food tonight. I had Churrasco with chimichurri sauce, black beans, rice, and plantains.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:35 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I made cumin beef, which turned out really good. I also made stir fried, mixed vegis. It was supposed to have oyster sauce as the main flavour for the sauce. I opened up the oyster sauce and there was a 1/2 piece of mould floating on the surface, so that got chucked. I used some fish sauce instead since I was about to put the food on the table, but it really wasn't very exciting. We also had brown rice.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:56 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Totally awesome, CWS!

Everyone's meals look and sound great!
+1
Old 12-17-2012, 03:56 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
with some red beans and rice, some tomaters and cukes
That looks fabulous
Old 12-17-2012, 03:58 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
The smoked turkey was AWESOME. Definitely something I will do again, not every time I make a turkey (since I make turkey about once a month), but I'm already looking forward to lunch of a smoked turkey sandwich. I added cranberry salsa to the menu. I was so anxious to eat, I didn't really want to fuss too much about the pic once it was plated. I started the breast first since it was the heaviest piece.
Amazing CWS
Old 12-17-2012, 05:48 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Great pics, CW. Love the action shots.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:03 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Great pics, CW. Love the action shots.
Thanks, Pac,Steve, Kylie, and TL--it was SOOO good--I don't know why I procrastinated so long to brine and smoke turkey. I used apple wood. It had a nice smoke, but not too much smoke. And you could taste the cranberry-apple rub on the skin (and, thanks to the brine, in the meat). The challenging part was to add more charcoal to keep the temp up. And the potatoes were also darned good (ChefRF's famous potatoes). Definitely going to be expanding my use of the smoker. I want to try smoking a brined chicken next (not one of ours). I also want to debone a turkey breast and smoke that...since I still have five turkeys in the freezer...
Old 12-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thanks, Pac,Steve, Kylie, and TL--it was SOOO good--I don't know why I procrastinated so long to brine and smoke turkey. I used apple wood. It had a nice smoke, but not too much smoke. And you could taste the cranberry-apple rub on the skin (and, thanks to the brine, in the meat). The challenging part was to add more charcoal to keep the temp up. And the potatoes were also darned good (ChefRF's famous potatoes). Definitely going to be expanding my use of the smoker. I want to try smoking a brined chicken next (not one of ours). I also want to debone a turkey breast and smoke that...since I still have five turkeys in the freezer...
What are "ChefRF's famous potatoes"?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #40
Cook

Your stuff sounds so good, everyone, that I hope that you didn't have to pay for your good eating the way that I did last night. Yesterday was a Lisa Sunday, as usual, and I served slow roasted Boston butt, prepared on Friday/Saturday, with a citrus sauce that didn't taste that great until I doctored it up with some mirin and other odds and ends, stuffed baked potatoes, and peas, and for desert, I made a lemon curd concoction which contains flour and egg whites so that it rises during baking. Stupid me (I?) forgot that I couldn't serve it when it came out of the oven, and of course, it went flat when it cooled, so I filled the space on top of each ramekin with whipped cream, raspberries (that I had bought to make leathers for GDs) and confectioner's sugar.
It was good, too good; I was awake for hours last night with the burps. I had planned on making curry today, but maybe a fast day is called for.
Cheers

Tags
dinner