Dinner Sunday 21st of October

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chicken and veggie stir fry and jasmine rice

img_1197710_0_5590e910764414a60efe00b81b17f7cf.jpg

ahhh, msmofet, there you are! (first loves are the strongest):) a stir fry i could slurp and gobble up with a spoon!:pig: are those black mushrooms or brazenly black olives in there?
Thank you Vit.

Those are ordinary white button mushrooms quartered, carrots, celery, broccoli, snow peas, onion, whole almonds, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots and chicken.

I don't like sweet potatoes, but something about the ingredients make those sweet potaotes sound delicious, Steve.

I'm with you on the sweet potatoes, Pac, but maybe Steve can share his recipe and change our minds!
Thanks, guys.

I hated sweet potatoes for most of my life, and still have nightmares of the awful sweet potatoes my mom used to fix with marshmallows on top. :ohmy:

I've posted the recipe here:
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/chili-lime-sweet-potatoes-82287.html#post1197737

Give them a try. I think they're out of this world.

I finally cooked that leg of lamb. I followed the recipe here: Farmgirl Fare: Recipe: Slow Roasted Greek Style Leg of Lamb with Lemon, Oregano, Potatoes, and Swiss Chard. I had beet greens, so I substituted those for the Swiss chard. The beet greens were okay. The potatoes were good, but a bit too lemony and I never fished out the garlic, because by the time the potatoes were coming out of the oven, I was just too busy and they were hiding.

The lamb was good enough that I stuffed myself, but it isn't the ultimate leg of lamb recipe I'm looking for.

IMG_3321.JPG

We had the rest of the strawberry mousse from yesterday for dessert.

Steve Kroll said:
Thanks, guys.

I hated sweet potatoes for most of my life, and still have nightmares of the awful sweet potatoes my mom used to fix with marshmallows on top. :ohmy:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/chili-lime-sweet-potatoes-82287.html#post1197737

The recipe sounds great Steve! I too grew up with the marshmallow goo sweet potatoes. Can't stand them! I do like savory sweet potatoes and usually just have them with salt, pepper and butter, but I like the sound of your recipe!

I finally cooked that leg of lamb. I followed the recipe here: Farmgirl Fare: Recipe: Slow Roasted Greek Style Leg of Lamb with Lemon, Oregano, Potatoes, and Swiss Chard. I had beet greens, so I substituted those for the Swiss chard. The beet greens were okay. The potatoes were good, but a bit too lemony and I never fished out the garlic, because by the time the potatoes were coming out of the oven, I was just too busy and they were hiding.

The lamb was good enough that I stuffed myself, but it isn't the ultimate leg of lamb recipe I'm looking for.

IMG_3321.JPG

We had the rest of the strawberry mousse from yesterday for dessert.

i'm hungrily eyeing your lovely leg of lamb, lady, and already picturing great gyro sandwiches for days to come, yum! do you do gyros, lady?:)

That looks like a great dinner, TL!
Thanks Steve. It was pretty good. If I make it again I won't bother with the beet greens/Swiss Chard. They stole the little bit of juice that was left in the pan. I will deglaze the pan with a little bit of wine and have du jus for the lamb. It wasn't dry, but it could have used a bit of jus. It was fall-off-the bone tender.

i'm hungrily eyeing your lovely leg of lamb, lady, and already picturing great gyro sandwiches for days to come, yum! do you do gyros, lady?:)
Nope, don't do gyro sandwiches. I might do some sandwiches in pita (It can't be a gyro if it wasn't cooked on something that rotates. :LOL:) Thanks for the idea. I should start some yogourt cheese tonight, so I can make some tzatziki.

I'm thinking shepherd's pie tomorrow.

Last edited:
I was just wondering how beans froze?
I was thinking probably not so good in a salsa (like corn and black bean).
How do they do in soup?

I freeze fat free, salt free beans that I cook in the PC, either in cooking liquid or drained. I have no problem with them. I also freeze Chili with no problems.

Thanks, guys.

Those sweet potatoes sound great! :yum: In South Africa the sweet potatoes have purple skins and the flesh is white and only slightly sweet.
Have you ever had the white ones? Do the orange ones taste different?

Last edited:
I just got up and am still shaking the cobwebs out of my head, but I was already in the freezer pulling out a 1.5 kg piece of prime rib. Not sure how I am going to cook it yet. Probably broil it. My daughter likes things pretty standard. Mashed potatoes for sure....
No brainer there! How does broiled differ from roasted? I consider my PR roasted. And mashed potatoes or baked for sure. You should consider Yorkshire pudding with that, one of my favorite PR side dishes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom