Dinner Sunday 21st of October

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks to this diet, I've lost 30 lbs as of today.

img_1197812_0_4a5776bd3935388c8e7e1e7c4a6c6827.jpg

The pic looks very nice!

DH is still raving about tonight's dinner! :)

We used to go to a local restaurant called "Wings" that has wing night every Sunday. You get 10 wings of one type (there are over 30) for $3.90 and we usually ordered two or three kinds with a Caesar salad. However, we stopped because they dredge the wings in flour which DH can't have.

So tonight I made Salt and Pepper wings and "Fish Wings" (a fish sauce and Thai sweet chili sauce) with no flour, gluten, soy, dairy or egg involved and they were mighty tasty if I do say so myself! :angel:

Rex Sole Meuneire & Twice Baked Potatoes

Here's my entry for tonight. I finally found some sole (frozen). I stocked it and today I ran down to the wire and had no alternatives until I remembered the frozen sole. It turned out okay but I'm still looking for a good seafood monger.

Sole Meuniere: Melt butter in your pan until it just starts to brown. In the mean time you flour your fish (that's where the word Meuneire comes in, AFAIK French for miller, as in milling flour, thus the name of the recipe. When the fish is sufficiently burned (should be falling off the bone) you reserve the fish in a warm place (your oven on low?) and then deglaze your pan with lemon juice to make a sauce a la minute. You should probably consider that...

Potatoes: Pre-bake them then take them out and let them achieve room temperature. Scoop out the insides then mix them with cream or milk, and chopped green onions. Top with grated cheddar cheese then bake for about 20 minutes.

Appetizer: I was socializing with my next door neighbors and suggested I could go home for a few minutes and bring back an appetizer--the jalapeno poppers I've discussed here at DC in other topics. So I made them and luckily they were well received!

So tonight: rex sole Meuneire and twice baked potatoes:

Last edited:
Nope, don't do gyro sandwiches. I might do some sandwiches in pita (It can't be a gyro if it wasn't cooked on something that rotates. :LOL:) Thanks for the idea. I should start some yogourt cheese tonight, so I can make some tzatziki.

I'm thinking shepherd's pie tomorrow.[/QUOTE

tzatziki, that's the ticket! great with lamb, among others. shepherd's pie sounds wonderful to me too. rarely have i ever had it made with lamb, as it should be, rightfully.

My weight never changed until I was 30. Then my metabolism started slowing down--as everybody does--and I had two choices: eat less or exercise more. I chose the latter.

So far so good, still thin perhaps because I'm active. No longer eat everything I see though :LOL:

Your dinner looks fab :yum:

Nope, don't do gyro sandwiches. I might do some sandwiches in pita (It can't be a gyro if it wasn't cooked on something that rotates. :LOL:) Thanks for the idea. I should start some yogourt cheese tonight, so I can make some tzatziki.

I'm thinking shepherd's pie tomorrow.

does my microwave qualify to make gyros? it rotates.:)

Those sweet potatoes sound great! :yum: In South Africa the sweet potatoes have purple skins and the flesh is white and only slightly sweet.
Have you ever had the white ones? Do the orange ones taste different?
I've had some white ones, but they didn't have purple skin. The ones I've had looked more like a regular potato in color and are not as sweet.

We have so many varieties of sweet potatoes in the store where I shop. Probably a half dozen. My favorites are a variety called Garnet, followed by Jewels. There is also a variety called Beauregard, which are very good, though I don't see them as often.

I've had some white ones, but they didn't have purple skin. The ones I've had looked more like a regular potato in color and are not as sweet.

We have so many varieties of sweet potatoes in the store where I shop. Probably a half dozen. My favorites are a variety called Garnet, followed by Jewels. There is also a variety called Beauregard, which are very good, though I don't see them as often.

Thank you for the response Steve :)
We only get one variety here and I believe they also have a lower GI than the orange ones. They are barely sweet at all.
Delicious though, I love them. Wish I could taste other kinds, maybe I can plant some when I have a garden again!

Wow, that looks like a feast fit for a king Taxy :chef:

I finally cooked that leg of lamb. I followed the recipe here: Farmgirl Fare: Recipe: Slow Roasted Greek Style Leg of Lamb with Lemon, Oregano, Potatoes, and Swiss Chard. I had beet greens, so I substituted those for the Swiss chard. The beet greens were okay. The potatoes were good, but a bit too lemony and I never fished out the garlic, because by the time the potatoes were coming out of the oven, I was just too busy and they were hiding.

The lamb was good enough that I stuffed myself, but it isn't the ultimate leg of lamb recipe I'm looking for.

IMG_3321.JPG

We had the rest of the strawberry mousse from yesterday for dessert.

DH is still raving about tonight's dinner! :)

We used to go to a local restaurant called "Wings" that has wing night every Sunday. You get 10 wings of one type (there are over 30) for $3.90 and we usually ordered two or three kinds with a Caesar salad. However, we stopped because they dredge the wings in flour which DH can't have.

So tonight I made Salt and Pepper wings and "Fish Wings" (a fish sauce and Thai sweet chili sauce) with no flour, gluten, soy, dairy or egg involved and they were mighty tasty if I do say so myself! :angel:

Laurie, that does sound wonderful, well done on making something similar :chef:

We did a slow cooked leg of lamb a few weeks back...for us it was tender enough, but not the fall off the bone we expected, maybe we did not cook it long enough.

We cooked it for 5 hours, it was about 1.5kg in size

How long did you cook yours for Taxy?

We did a slow cooked leg of lamb a few weeks back...for us it was tender enough, but not the fall off the bone we expected, maybe we did not cook it long enough.

We cooked it for 5 hours, it was about 1.5kg in size

How long did you cook yours for Taxy?
I followed the instructions exactly in the recipe. An almost 2 kg leg of lamb for 4.5 hours in the oven. Was there water in the pan in your recipe?

Back
Top Bottom