"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Tonight made beef tongue in tomato sauce....yummy

Old 12-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #22
Master Chef

It's chilly and raining today and I've had a pot of my Chili Verde on the stove most of the afternoon. It smells soooooo good!

I'll top each bowl with chopped white onions, grated cheddar cheese and lots of cilantro. Big flour tortilla's are to be toasted on the gas stove burners and spread with a little butter. Ohhh Yeah!!

Dawg.....that Cream of Mushroom soup sounds fabulous !!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
Tonight made beef tongue in tomato sauce....yummy
Siegal, I really like beef tongue but having it in tomato sauce is new to me.
Do tell?

Old 12-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
It's chilly and raining today and I've had a pot of my Chili Verde on the stove most of the afternoon. It smells soooooo good!

I'll top each bowl with chopped white onions, grated cheddar cheese and lots of cilantro. Big flour tortilla's are to be toasted on the gas stove burners and spread with a little butter. Ohhh Yeah!!
Mmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!! Your today's weather is our tomorrow's weather, and I sincerely appreciate any part you played in sending us this fine weather! It's been misty most of the day but the weather TV people are prepared to go on location live and broadcast the first watch. Storm-watch 2012, live!!!!

I really like the idea of your pot of chili simmering. That is real comfort food on a rainy day.

You and I toast tortillas exactly the same way. This method is simple-stupid. Just light a gas burner on full flame and throw the tortilla on the grate. Just flip it quickly until it is lightly browned. (This description is for others, I already know you do it this way because it works and there's no other way.)

Quote:
Do tell?
I like my tongue on sandwiches where I can taste the delicate flavor. The only other way I like tongue is on dates.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Mmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!! Your today's weather is our tomorrow's weather, and I sincerely appreciate any part you played in sending us this fine weather! It's been misty most of the day but the weather TV people are prepared to go on location live and broadcast the first watch. Storm-watch 2012, live!!!!

I really like the idea of your pot of chili simmering. That is real comfort food on a rainy day.

You and I toast tortillas exactly the same way. This method is simple-stupid. Just light a gas burner on full flame and throw the tortilla on the grate. Just flip it quickly until it is lightly browned. (This description is for others, I already know you do it this way because it works and there's no other way.)

I like my tongue on sandwiches where I can taste the delicate flavor. The only other way I like tongue is on dates.
Greg, I remember you and I agreeing on this method a while back. Tongs come in handy for those reading, by the way. Steve marvels at me doing this simple-stupid trick so please don't tell him there's little skill involved. Actually, even he could do it, but it's best he be left in awe.
I'm passing on the rest.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetTeboho
Tonight I finally got to cook, black pepper chicken.
That looks really good. Do you have a recipe for me?
Old 12-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #27
Executive Chef

I made teriyaki chicken on the grill with grilled onions. We also had Jasmine rice and fruit salad. Yummy!
Old 12-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle

Do tell?
I made a Persian recipe.

Somewhat similar to this
http://www.kosherpersianfoodblog.com...year-festival/

Except I used fresh mushrooms and added to chopped tomatoes, garlic, half a lemon juiced, some yogurt
Old 12-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #29
Executive Chef

I almost forgot why I came to this topic! Tonight's dinner! I intended to have this for dinner last night, roasted duck legs/thighs, but my photo shoot lasted until 8 p.m. and by then I wasn't interested in any cooking that takes an hour or more. I had Italian take-out.

This afternoon and tonight I was similarly occupied on the same project, but today working on my own and no fixed deadline so I was able to adjust my eating schedule to match my project. (I have several hours of work left but the target completion date is any time this week.)

So I didn't get any ideas after I put my duck leg/thighs or thigh/legs in the oven to roast. I bought a new oven thermometer and discovered that the other old thermometer is reading 50 degrees too cold, and the oven thermostat is overly optimistic by 150 degrees. (No wonder my oven cooking has been coming out badly.) Old thermometer: 325 F, oven thermostat: 475 F, actual temperature 325 F, actually not that bad a temperature to cook duck at, lower and slower than chicken.

So my duck came out about 180 F internal temperature (close enough) and it's happily resting before it's big ordeal (getting into my belly). The brown rice is almost done and I'm currently running it in a steam blow-off cycle (a minute without the top on) and the almonds are already toasted (to serve on the rice). A few seconds more releasing steam and the rice is going into cruise mode, no heat and just let the moisture equalize.

The garnish is cantaloupe, not because it goes particularly well here but because I've had it for enough days. Just on the spur of the moment as I type this I've decided to add a fresh slice of pineapple (home made IQF). So I'm in an optimization cycle where everything is pretty much cooked and I'm just waiting a few more minutes for the too hot things to cool down before the warm things get too cold.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Greg, I remember you and I agreeing on this method a while back. Tongs come in handy for those reading, by the way. Steve marvels at me doing this simple-stupid trick so please don't tell him there's little skill involved. Actually, even he could do it, but it's best he be left in awe.
Yeppers, simple-stupid, but good. The only trick at all is to pay attention or you'll burn the tortilla and have to toss it and start over.

I have trouble paying attention because I'm always multi-tasking, and in fact I'm doing that right now, last stages of dinner prep and typing on the Internet. In a few minutes I go into eating while typing on the Internet mode. I'd go into eating/watching TV but it's after 7 p.m. here and you remember what Newton Minnow said about the "vast wasteland"...

Tags
dinner