"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
I have a strip steak in the fridge for dinner but lunch was pan seared salmon.

Pan Seared Salmon by powerplantop, on Flickr
Really nice photo, Mr. Op. That even looks like a sockeye's jaws.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #22
Sous Chef

We still have prime rib roast left from last night. I'm also going to make a pot of chicken and dumplings because I have a craving for it.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I think you'll like it!
I did. It added nice subtle flavor. With all I had going on with my burger Iadded three slices and it was perfect.
Thanks for sharing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
guys!

I planned to pan sear some scallops, but I can't find them in the freezer, so it'll be boiled shrimp tonight.
You better do some digging... I mean spelunking . Don't be letting those scallops get freezer burned now. I feel like some nice pan seared scallops after seeing GG's pic today.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:37 PM   #24
Master Chef

Our dinner was at Sprout's house, with her husband, our grandkids, P.A.G. and her hubby, and one of my sons. The food included roasted leg of lamb with a wine reduction sauce, rustic cut carrot, turnips, snap peas, and peas roasted with the lamb, challa, the bunny rolls that I saw here on D.C. (made from challa bread dough), saffron seasoned couscous, and for desert, red-velvet cake with cream cheese icing. My beverage of choice was milk, but there was also grape juice, and water.

Church was especially spiritual today, though we weren't in our home branch. Great day, great family, great food, what else is there in life? I wouldn't trade this day for anything.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:37 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Tonight I made a pork and pineapple curry, using Patak's mild curry paste and a couple of tiny hot peppers. It was inspired by a Patak's recipe, but could use some more heat. Served it on brown basmati rice. I also made Alton Brown's vegetable curry: Vegetable Curry Recipe : Alton Brown : Recipes : Food Network. I leave out the cornstarch and I used frozen, not dried, chilies. It's TNT recipe at our house. Lemon mousse for dessert, again.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:03 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North
Our dinner was at Sprout's house, with her husband, our grandkids, P.A.G. and her hubby, and one of my sons. The food included roasted leg of lamb with a wine reduction sauce, rustic cut carrot, turnips, snap peas, and peas roasted with the lamb, challa, the bunny rolls that I saw here on D.C. (made from challa bread dough), saffron seasoned couscous, and for desert, red-velvet cake with cream cheese icing. My beverage of choice was milk, but there was also grape juice, and water.

Church was especially spiritual today, though we weren't in our home branch. Great day, great family, great food, what else is there in life? I wouldn't trade this day for anything.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
That is wonderful, and as it should be. Good for all of you! Wish we could have been with both of our sons, but my oldest son and his family were at his in-law's house with that side of the family. We did have one son with us. Happy Easter my friend.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:31 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Chief, your dinner sounds fantastic, only surpassed by the love you had with your family. good on ya', as the saying goes. you deserve it.

you know, in a weird and sort of backwards way, i think it's good that people who don't claim to be religious (christian religious, that is) didn't go out of their way to make a fuss for easter dinner. i'm not saying that everyone who posted did that, but it's just the sense that i'm getting.

i think it's good for people to avoid being hypocritical.

this idea of mine started a few days ago as i listened to a few sports people, that i regularly listen to on the radio and have been vocal about being atheists or agnostics, were suddenly talking about what they were doing for passover or easter dinners. it really bothered me.

what? do they listen to themselves?

so, i'm happy to see people here being honest with themselves and others.

lol, it'll be interesting to see next christmas, though. you can't have easter without christmas, and vice versa. it's like having to order a medium drink when the only ones available are medium and large; no small.

just a thought. i know some people have celebrated already, or are celebrating the holiday later, so i don't mean them. i'm just impressed with honesty, that's all.

and i'm not trying to be cute (i don't have to try,) lol, or be backhanded. again, just an observation that i thought was a good thing.

this was not a statement of religion, just an observation.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:04 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Some of those agnostics, etc. aren't being hypocritical. It's when everyone else is celebrating. The spring equinox isn't a recognized holiday, but a lot of non-Christians celebrate it. It can be a lot easier to just celebrate it when everyone else is celebrating a modified version of a much older holiday.

Same goes for Xmas. Winter Solstice is a big deal, but who gets it off? for many it is just easier to celebrate when the Christians celebrate.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:27 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

actually, i only meant that the people not celebrating were being honest.

i'm up for celebrating life anytime! just not for dishonest reasons.

and those not celebrating were being honest. i was applauding that; their integrity.

of course there's a myriad of reasons why people didn't celebrate today: financial, emotional, spiritual, heathen (just kidding), ...

it'll be interesting to see next winter solstice.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:38 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Yum! Everything sounds and looks soooooo good! We had roasted Cornish game hens, gnocchi with butter, walnuts and parm., grilled pesto sausages, grilled asparagus, green salad with hard cooked eggs, beets, and avocado. Dessert: Meyer lemon bundt cake with blackberry sorbet as well as assorted Easter candy. Tomorrow meals are going to be mean and lean! Ha! Ha! Happy Easter to all!

Tags
dinner