"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #11
Head Chef

BBQ Sea Bass & Tri-Tip

Old 07-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
It was our 16th wedding anniversary yesterday, but a friend was having a birthday party, so we celebrated today.

We went to a nice Greek resto. Stirling had souvlaki and I had fillet mignon (I told them not to put bacon around it, 'cause it never gets cooked enough for my taste) and shrimp. Oh my, that steak was cooked to perfection (rare) and was tender and tasty and the sauce was yummy too. The shrimp were pretty darned good too. They were wonderfully seasoned, butterflied with the shells on. They looked like scampi, so I guess in the US, they would have been called shrimp scampi.

Stirling had baklava for dessert and I had one of the best pieces of cheesecake I have ever eaten.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Whiskey, Sorry wrong button! The berries come from the States. I am sure that there will be good berries this year in our Province as the flowering was abundant and they are usually very sweet. I wish we could get Saskatoons! Now there is a really treat!
Old 07-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It was our 16th wedding anniversary yesterday, but a friend was having a birthday party, so we celebrated today.

We went to a nice Greek resto. Stirling had souvlaki and I had fillet mignon (I told them not to put bacon around it, 'cause it never gets cooked enough for my taste) and shrimp. Oh my, that steak was cooked to perfection (rare) and was tender and tasty and the sauce was yummy too. The shrimp were pretty darned good too. They were wonderfully seasoned, butterflied with the shells on. They looked like scampi, so I guess in the US, they would have been called shrimp scampi.

Stirling had baklava for dessert and I had one of the best pieces of cheesecake I have ever eaten.
Happy Anniversary, sounds as if you did it up right!
Old 07-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Happy anniversary, Taxy and Stirling!

I had a healthy dinner, the DQ Chili Cheese Dog Combo. Got all my fats, sodium, and nitrates, along with the carbs.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #16
Master Chef

Ya know, sometimes we are so busy thinking about how to make something spectacular, that we forget how really good simple food can be. That simple food was what we ate for supper tonight.
Ingredients:
4 lb. whole chicken
4 russet potatoes, boiled with skins on until done, but firm. Then peeled.
2 stalks celery, sliced
4 large eggs, hard boiled
mayo
Miracle Whip Salad Dressing
1 small onion, minced
2 zucchini, Sliced
black olives
bacon grease
salt
All-Purpose Flour

Preheat the oven to 430'F
Wash, then dry the chicken and place on a poultry rack over a foil lined cookie sheet. Rub with bacon grease. Sprinkle salt all over the bird. Lightly dust with flour. Pop it into the oven.

I used all but the zucchini and black olives to make potato salad earlier that day. After putting the chicken into the oven, i set the timer for 12 minutes per pound, or 48 minutes. After 20 minutes had elapsed, I then placed my steamer on the stove with 2 cups of water in the bottom and brought it to a boil. Whiled the water was heating, I washed and sliced the zucchini, then placed the thick slices into the steamer and covered them. The zucchini were steamed for about 15 minutes and came out perfectly.

Shen the timer went off, I checked the chicken temperature, and pulled it from the oven when the thermometer read 163 degrees F. I let it rest for 10 minutes before carving. Lightly seasoned, with just salt, and with the bacon grease helping to brown the light dusting of flour, the meat was so very juicy and tender, with an outstanding flavor that stood on its own. The skin was amazing. Put together with the hot zucchini, and cold potato salad, made simply, that was once of the best chicken dinners I've had in years. And, it was better than bacon wrapped, roasted chicken, and better than garlic stuffed chicken, and better that roasted chicken with an herb-compound butter stuffed under the skin. And I love all of those techniques as well. This chicken was simple and simply great. I'll be roasting chicken like this more often.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Thanks for the happy anniversary wishes. Dawg & Canuckcook.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:46 AM   #18
Master Chef

Didn't know it was your anniversary. I hope it was a great one. And I hope you have 50 more great anniversaries.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:54 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Happy anniversary, Taxy and Stirling!

I had a healthy dinner, the DQ Chili Cheese Dog Combo. Got all my fats, sodium, and nitrates, along with the carbs.
Dawg, where is a "like" button when you need one? Love your healthy dinner.

I declared myself On Strike. I prep and cook and clean up, and every once in a while I give up. Today was that day. After 5:00 PM church we stopped at the local clam shack for homemade ice cream because you should eat dessert first. After all, after 60 you don't know how much you got left. Once back home himself went over to the local pizza place to pick up one of my favorites, a cheese steak calzone, loaded. Now I'm sipping my nightly wine in a toast to Taxy and Stirling. Happy anniversary you two lovebirds.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:06 AM   #20
Senior Cook

We had Pasta Linguine (spaghetti style) with tomato sauce and seafood (alla marinara)

Funny cause the base of the sauce came from a cocktail I made earlier but its taste was much too strong to drink. The seafood was pan fried with parsley and garlic. I always use a bit of the pasta cooking water int he sauce.

I love this idea of sharing what you cook for dinner ... Thanks for that ;)

frenchguycooking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinner