"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-24-2006, 06:23 PM   #11
Executive Chef

We'll be having a salad.
It'll be romaine in a great maytag blue cheese dressing (made with mint, basil, goat cheese, buttermilk, oj, sour cream and half n half). I'm making some kahlua chile pecans and I'll throw in some sliced pears too. Should be tasty.

Old 12-24-2006, 07:13 PM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Husband & I will be having our traditional holiday-eve dinner of takeout pizza.

We do this for every major holiday. This way I have no cooking or dishes to worry about & have a clean slate (& kitchen) to concentrate on tomorrow's Roast Goose feast (we have a whopping 15-3/4 pound free-range/organic one this year - will have lots of leftovers for the New Year's Cassoulet!!).

Plus, frankly, as much as I love cooking, it's just really nice to be able to just sit back & enjoy Xmas eve.
I am doing that next year - we did it that last night - tired Grandma ! lol

Old 12-24-2006, 07:37 PM   #13
Master Chef

I spent 7 hours today making appetizers and preparing most of the meal for tomorrow. I have the dressing, scalloped corn and sweet potato casserole prepared and ready to pop in the oven to cook tomorrow.....I even got my pies done.
We'll be eating a variety of appetizers or else they can heat up the homemade chicken & noodles and mashed potatoes I made today for tomorrows meal.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:06 PM   #14
Master Chef

Mexican food on Christmas eve is a family tradition for us, too! The only exception to the rule was when we were living in New Orleans.

So tonight it's going to be tamales with chili gravy, cheese enchiladas with adobo sauce, chicken enchiladas with cheese sauce, rice and refried beans.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:27 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Smoked turkey, roasted turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce, tamales, green bean casserole, green salad, and lots of desserts. May you all enjoy your Christmas dinner tonight!
Old 12-24-2006, 08:48 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Smoked duck & andouille sausage gumbo...fried oysters....Red wine..
Christmas candy...Chocolate icecream.....
Old 12-24-2006, 08:51 PM   #17
Executive Chef

We pigged out on appys and cheeses....oh how I love snacks for a dinner!
Old 12-24-2006, 11:36 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

we did the festa di quatro pesce.

lol, we only had 4 fishes, not 7. hey, i'm not even italian, so don't gimme any lip, capeesh?

i started with pickled herring in white wine and onions, then i made scallop and shrimp marinara, and dw made fried flounder.

salad, pasta, and steamed broccoli rounded it out.

i fed the boy first while dw finished cooking, then we all ate together. since the little guy was finished first, he grabbed a cupcake and italian finger cookies and sat ready to chow down. i pretended to cry because he was gonna start dessert without me, so he sat patiently staring at his plate of sweets, drooling with anticipation. the second i was done and said ok, he excitedly stuffed a whole mini-cupcake into his mouth, the wait nearly getting the best of him. like a junkie getting his fix he slumped in his chair, eyes glazed over with a sugar rush, sporting a nice, white frosting moustache.
best cupcake ever.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 09:33 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Everyone's dinner sounds soo good! I thought we were unique in mexican food for Christmas Eve-guess not. The sound of tamales sound so good. We used to buy them when from people who made them homemade when we lived in Texas - sure do miss that.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:25 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelemarie
Everyone's dinner sounds soo good! I thought we were unique in mexican food for Christmas Eve-guess not. The sound of tamales sound so good. We used to buy them when from people who made them homemade when we lived in Texas - sure do miss that.
Michele - would you believe that on the night of the 23rd we had a major crime spree ... someone broke into our best "homemade" tamale factory and they stole everything that had been perpared for Christmas Eve - about 400-450 dozen tamales!