"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-01-2007, 06:16 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
For us it's shrimp a la Fra Diavolo with a recipe from a dear friend who is about the best cook in the world, with a tossed salad to complete the meal. It's hot and sticky here. Heating up the kitchen isn't too inviting.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:16 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
I took legend's use of the icon as conveying "having fun" at the taco party. You know, laughing and having a good time.
YES that is what I meant!!! I LOVE tacos and recently had some friends over and I made tacos.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:26 PM   #23
Executive Chef

burgers on the grill and potato salad

the burgers will be made with 1/2 dexter beef and the last package of goat sausage. The potato salad was made with freshly dug red skinned potatoes and fresh celery and onions......
Old 07-01-2007, 10:05 PM   #24
Executive Chef

an all veggie Subway, extra veggies all the way around and my mouth is still burning from the jalepeno's and banana peppers, caffeine free diet Caramel Latte Pepsi {or something called something close to that, tossed the bottle}.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:13 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I'm going to make a tomato vinaigrette - I want a nice rich one - has anyone ever made a tomato vinaigrette?
No, never even ever heard of such a thing, but I can say, it sounds wonderful. Especially loving tomatoes. If you figure it out, KE, please post here for us. Only thing that I've seen that even comes close is Michael Chiarello's tomato water martini. I know, it really doesn't come close, but it's the only thing I thought of
Old 07-01-2007, 11:35 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover

Only thing that I've seen that even comes close is Michael Chiarello's tomato water martini. I know, it really doesn't come close, but it's the only thing I thought of
I always knew I liked you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did find a copycat Outback Steakhouse recipe, which is one I LOVE and the reason for the quest - didn't make it because everyone wanted wings and a pesto pasta salad. I will make the recipe soon and will let you know how it is. You let me know how that tomato water martini is!!!!!!!

If you use a potato vodka in your tomato martini does that equate to a serving each of a fruit and vegetable?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:51 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
If you use a potato vodka in your tomato martini does that equate to a serving each of a fruit and vegetable?
uh, yea, of course it does, in my book anyway, but then, I never could count
Old 07-02-2007, 12:00 AM   #28
Sous Chef

Tonight was interesting and fun to make, I made:
mint chutney
potatoe song (a potatoe curry)
Buttermilk Kootu (veggie curry)
rita
rice
paratha's (storebought frozen then heated up)

I was making everything out of a indian vegetarian cook book that I have (and have never made anything out of) and it was awesome!!
took ahwhile to make everything and we have tons of leftovers, but everything was super good!
I choose out the recipes that I wanted to make, wrote down the ingredients that we needed (which were a lot seeing as we never use most of the stuff that was used) and me and my mom went of to this local thai store near us and luckily they had pretty much everything (I love looking around that store as the have a ton of stuff that you would never think of making or using!). They didn't have some lentils that I needed so we went to the Nofrills that is across the street from that and picked em up.
Came home around 3 and started to make stuff and it was lucky that I started early as it took a couple of hours to put everything together!

Overall I was all really tasty and filling and fun to try all these different ingredients (never used mustard seeds before and had use those for the first time, which was cool!)

Happy Adanac day to all adanacians by the by!

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:02 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

since my wife and son had fun in the city yesterday, we decided to take the ferry into midtown, then take a thrill a minute taxi ride down to the south street seaport. dw had a delicious fish-n-chips, i had a boring rosemary chicken sammich at "skippers" on the pier.
we were still hungry later, so we grilled some teryaki (i'm addicted to teryaki) chicken thighs, along with a nuked potato. also, while the neighbor's kids and mine played outside before dinnner, we shared a big crudite platter that i took from work yesterday. it hadn't been opened, or even been touched, and the cleaning guys were coming around so it would have been tossed. i hate wasting food.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:36 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Baked tilapia, mashed potatoes and salad - pizza for the kids.