"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #11
Sous Chef

We are having a rosemary roasted pork loin roast, with roasted sweet potatoes and butternut squash, and sautÚd garlic spinach.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

We are having a medium rare mustard encrusted top sirloin roast, Yorkshire pudding, Laura Calder's accordion potatoes, green beans with almonds. Yummy!

Old 11-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

a fried pork loin chop. last time i bought groceries, i bought a pork loin. cut into chops. baked sweet potato, lima bean salad. not sure if i will bake something for dessert but have coffee ice cream just in case i don't.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #14
Cook

We're having Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon. I've never made it, so I hope it is as good as everyone says it is. It at least smells divine!
Old 11-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Welcome to DC, Ranchwifeg!

Have a hankering for tuna salad, after much smoked turkey gorging. Not sure what else.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchwifeg View Post
We're having Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon. I've never made it, so I hope it is as good as everyone says it is. It at least smells divine!
It is, you'll love it.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #17
Executive Chef

+ 1 Welcome to DC, Ranchwifeg ! It's just a couple weeks ago I received similiar and I am happy to pass this same warm greeting to you !!

Boeuf Bourguignon is something Jr wants to make for us the next time he is home for a visit. I expect this must be a dish he recent discovered, because he's talked about it several times.

As for me, I am making something Mexican. Burritos today, who knows what it will turn into over the next several days. I am incorporating a few tablespoons of leftover Mac and cheese in my first one. Hey!! It's cheesy, so that works. Salsa, beans, spiced burger. More cheese. Fresh guacamole and some sour cream on the side.

Fred
Old 11-20-2011, 06:43 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Week 11 of Pacanis' Personal Pigskin Challenge... Alligator! The state food of FLA. Really? Beats me, but I cooked it anyway because Jacksonville isn't known for nothin'

I've had it once, at a roadside diner outside of Jacksonville, along with a bunch of other fried stuff. I was not impressed. I remember it being tough and chewy. Silly me. I am in awe of the vittles I ate tonight that came from the swamp... swamp... swamp... swamp...

So from the left to right, starting with the dark balls, I had alligator boudin balls, breaded and fried alligator, hush puppies (they need work, it was my first time), and an alligator kabob at the bottom there (I made three, ate two, more on that later) and some fries in the center, just because.

Let me just say the boudin balls were incredible. I thought they were overdone because of the color, not so. What a texture
And the nuggets that came already breaded... outstanding. Very tender and perfectly seasoned.
And the kabob...
As I was finishing things up my neighbor got home from hunting. His buddy had gotten a six point and he was also with him. So I said, Here, try this. And they did. A few bites were taken, the skewer passed back and forth, and then... "What is this? It's really good. Is this cajun?" Uhh, yeah, says I, it's alligator.

Well of course the one guy made a face, in spite of earlier saying how good it tasted, but my buddy finished it off. He said someone was recently telling him how good alligator was. He was as impressed as I was.

The fillet of alligator kabobs were absolutely outstanding. I can't describe it. It was so tender and didn't really resemble anything I've ever eaten. I soaked it overnight in milk, cut it up, skewered it and brushed it with vegetable oil and creole seasoning, then grilled it for a bit. I cannot wait to eat the other half of fillet still in the freezer, along with the other stuff from the sampler pack again. I will order this all over again.

And Cleveland even beat Jacksonville! Go team.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PPPC week 11 Jacksonville - Gator!.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	12436  
Old 11-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Once again, a fine looking dinner.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Andy. The next time my plate is going to be filled with those kabobs. They come highly recommended.

Tags
dinner