"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-21-2011, 04:31 AM   #31
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchwifeg
We're having Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon. I've never made it, so I hope it is as good as everyone says it is. It at least smells divine!
It's lovely, hope you enjoyed. I found out, on accident, that if you cook it and then don't have time to take the meat out and make the sauce (or eat it at all for that matter) and you have to throw the whole thing Dutch oven and all into the fridge overnight (lol), it tastes even more amazing when you finally do get to eat it! (not that this should be a surprise, but it really was so much more amazing) - and by then you don't really need to do anything to make the liquid into a sauce when you reheat it. Also that time I used the Beaujolais for the wine and I think that made a huge difference. Serve with crusty sourdough. Yum.

Dinner tonight was apple pie. Lol. Smelled too good baking, what can I say!

Old 11-21-2011, 06:03 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Dawg, Bucky, Somebun.
Bucky, I think you and your son will have a lot of fun with it. Pick a day to cook it when they are running one of their marathons.

Nice cheesesteak Somebunny.

Vanilla, how do you incorporate the rice a roni into the meat and veggie mixture? Do you cook it separately and just mix it in, or add it to the rice and water as it's cooking? Maybe brown it first...
I think I'd like to try something similar using chicken. I used to live on chicken rice a roni, lol. That was to me what those ramen noodles must be to others.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Vanilla, how do you incorporate the rice a roni into the meat and veggie mixture? Do you cook it separately and just mix it in, or add it to the rice and water as it's cooking? Maybe brown it first...
I think I'd like to try something similar using chicken. I used to live on chicken rice a roni, lol. That was to me what those ramen noodles must be to others.
I made the Rice-a-Roni according to the package and cooked the broccoli/meat mixture separately. When the rice was done, I stirred in the broccoli/meat right at the end.

I hate cooking out of a box, but sometimes that's the way it goes. After I got the groceries put away yesterday, I was pooped. Mark liked his dinner. As long as he liked it, I guess it was okay.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #34
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresJenny View Post
It's lovely, hope you enjoyed. I found out, on accident, that if you cook it and then don't have time to take the meat out and make the sauce (or eat it at all for that matter) and you have to throw the whole thing Dutch oven and all into the fridge overnight (lol), it tastes even more amazing when you finally do get to eat it! (not that this should be a surprise, but it really was so much more amazing) - and by then you don't really need to do anything to make the liquid into a sauce when you reheat it. Also that time I used the Beaujolais for the wine and I think that made a huge difference. Serve with crusty sourdough. Yum.

Dinner tonight was apple pie. Lol. Smelled too good baking, what can I say!
It turned out wonderful! I cooked about 3.5 hours, so the sauce was reduced to about 1 cup, so I added about 1 cup more stock. Let's just say that this is what beef stew should taste like. It was so rich just a small bowl was plenty. I will definitely make it again. I used a Chianti and it was good.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #35
Master Chef

A friend invited me over for the first time. The highlights were a pate made with duck and a leg of lamb. I was delighted, it was great. I love lamb, I love duck, I love pate. There was a group of us, but looking at the choices, I can't help but wondering if she geared it to me. Whether or not, I'm a happy girl!
Old 11-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks 'nilla.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:02 AM   #37
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchwifeg

It turned out wonderful! I cooked about 3.5 hours, so the sauce was reduced to about 1 cup, so I added about 1 cup more stock. Let's just say that this is what beef stew should taste like. It was so rich just a small bowl was plenty. I will definitely make it again. I used a Chianti and it was good.

It's the one I make when I want stew!

Tags
dinner