Dinner Sunday, September 11, 2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
First, this:
september-11th-ribbon-lapel-pin-46.jpg

I haven't yet decided if today will be a "Cook's Day Off" and we'll have some of yesterday's leftovers, or if I want to bother making breaded pork chops with veggie and potato. Might do the pork chops and cheat with canned Grands Biscuits and frozen French cut green beans.

What are your plans for supper today?

Been thinking about 9-11 today myself. Hard to believe it's been 15 years.

Beyond that, it's a beautiful fall day and there's football on the TV. Add a bowl of chili and I'm a happy guy...

img_1479502_0_54e053a6003489b7eded2dd5c0f30ac0.jpg

Leftover country style grilled ribs from yesterday, salad, fresh cantaloupe, and prayers.
9-11-2001.jpg

Last edited:
I remember every second of that day. Horrible. We will not forget.

I defrosted some ground sirloin I found in the freezer, so probably burgers with mushroom sauce and broccoli salad.

My day started at 1 a.m. CDT. Needless to say, after three flights, clearing customs, etc., I'm tired. Nice that one of my BFFs picked me up, has steaks and veggies on the grill, and a bottle of red open and waiting. I haven't had anyone cook for me since May 29th. I am soooo hungry and looking forward to that steak. I so need the three weeks of respite.

I'm adding celery, roasted almonds, and shrimp to Fried Rice flavor Rice-a-Roni and then putting crispy noodles on top when it's done.

Well, holy crap, Batman! When I shopped last week this weekend's weather was supposed to have been fall-like. So, in view of that and because we likes us some chili, I planned to make chili today. It was nearly 90F and I spent nearly 2 hours in the pool, but it was too late to back out, so chili it was.

I came across, via the Internet, what sounded like a good recipe from the January 2014 issue of Southern Living magazine. Don't know how I missed it because I practically surgically peruse every month's issue. Never had anything bad from the folks there, so...

Okey-dokey, boys and girls!! This recipe is a "keeper." Well, at least the way I made it. Had to do a little improvisation because I didn't have enough of some of the ingredients.

It's really good and will, as they say here, "set you on fire." Not sure if I had anything to do with it because I altered it a bit, but it sure was good.

I only had one can of green chilies. No big deal, but I added a can of Rotel tomatoes with chilies, along with the required can of unseasoned tomatoes.

I did use 2 pounds of beef, but half was ground round. I like the body the combination of ground and chunk gives chili.

Pretty much left out the water. I thought there was plenty of liquid because of the added tomatoes and all the broth. I think I was right after seeing how it cooked up. I did let it simmer for a long while, though, mostly because I had the time and wanted the flavors to get nice and cozy.

No mention in the recipe about salt but, I attributed that to all the canned ingredients. I sampled it and added a scant 1/2 teaspoon of salt. I'm not a salt eater. Just me, but it seemed just fine and Glenn added only a slight single shake of salt at the table.

I topped mine with shredded cheddar cheese. Glenn had his nekkid. We finished up the last of the homemade baguette with butter and, as usual, iced tea.

Made a bunch, too. We each had a huge bowl, I put another meal's portion to go to the freezer and there'll be enough for supper tomorrow.

I tried a couple of new recipes I found via twitter.

From Epicurious it was Easy Beef Lo Mein. Did not care for it.

From Serious Eats it was Crab Rangoon with Sweet and Sour Sauce. Didn't care for the taste of the filling.

0 for 2 tonight.

That's a bummer, Andy.

Another good looking bowl of chili there, Steve. Doesn't look so hot this time.with that mound of sour cream. :)

It's been a couple of years since I made breaded pork chops. A bit heavy on the sage, but Himself declared them "delicious". Not a bad supper from someone not in the mood to cook.

Attachments

• 2016-09-11 20.17.31.jpg
    2016-09-11 20.17.31.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 113
DH and I went over to Mr&Mrs DF's house to hang.
Us two gals decided that we'd do potluck, mainly `cuz
Mrs. DF is Vegan-Dairy free-Gluten free and no one else is...
unfortunately we did not get photos of our dishes, but it was a beautiful
spread and quite tasty indeed!
I made Rigatoni and Sausage with a lovely loaf of bread
and she made her Glorified Quinoa ala Italy as well as a green salad...
loads of wine and beer and gluten free-dairy free appys of guc and cowboy caviar with organic white corn chips and dessert of fresh fruits and a Pudding Cake from the local megamart.

Been thinking about 9-11 today myself. Hard to believe it's been 15 years.

Beyond that, it's a beautiful fall day and there's football on the TV. Add a bowl of chili and I'm a happy guy...

img_1479531_0_54e053a6003489b7eded2dd5c0f30ac0.jpg

That's my kind of bowl of chili, Steve. Looks delicious. :yum:

Good looking meals Steve, CG, and S&P. I can almost taste them. :yum:

Stirling made tacos and Margaritas. We shared a beer when the Margaritas ran out.

Attachments

• IMG_20160911_195328.jpg
    IMG_20160911_195328.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20160911_195406.jpg
    IMG_20160911_195406.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20160911_195945.jpg
    IMG_20160911_195945.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 88
I went to check out a new farmers market in town today. It was smaller than the one I usually go to, but I got some good stuff ;)

I bought a couple pounds of green beans and the vendor asked if I had ever made them with potatoes simmered in chicken broth. I had not. So he threw in four Yukon gold potatoes and I made that dish tonight, seasoned with Penzeys Fox Point. Darn good stuff.

I also bought a pound of freshly caught scallops. I seared them and served them with mayo mixed with lemon juice and zest, Fox Point, and a little honey. That was good, too :yum:

Attachments

• 1473646414742.jpg
    1473646414742.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 110
GG, those scallops look perfectly seared. :yum:

Taxy, I could go for one of those margaritas. :yum:

Wonderful looking dinners, all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom